rest and relaxation

Comments

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes getting older does suck and this is one of those times for me.

One of my winter routines thru the decades has always been to work on one or two large jigsaw puzzles during the winter months only! I always enjoyed it.

But getting older has meant a slow deterioration of the eyesight also. It's not real bad - reading glasses help tremendously but not enough to work the shade variations of a jigsaw puzzle.

So it is one thing I did have to give up because all the extra eyestrain from trying to do those puzzles was just placing too much extra pressure on my eyesight.

Oh well... it's not like my life isn't full of other endeavors. It's just one thing that I sure do miss.

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

Have you tried lubricating eye drops? They might help.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@greyfurball It's sad that the things we love to do are the ones that become harder as we age. Last year I had a blood clot in my right eye that took out the blood supply to my optic nerve. They really can't fix optic nerves. I have a bit of peripheral vision, but it makes me dizzy when I move. I've found that wearing an eye patch helps with that. However, the mono vision and lack of depth perception makes a lot of things that I used to do so much harder.

It's not a tragedy - I have a friend who has been blind since her teens. But it sure is frustrating! I can read, but not for as long. I have trouble sewing, and haven't been brave enough to take the shotgun out. I'm adapting. This getting old stuff is not much fun. We can at least commiserate with each other.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz that's one way to keep the cat from knocking pieces off the table!

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@greyfurball have you tried the jumbo piece puzzles? I wonder if they would be less stressful on your eyes? We have done a few jumbos so my husband with Parkinson’s can participate.

• greyfurball

@figsagee over the last few years I swear I'm keeping the eye drops company in business. Funny thing is the only one I have found to work for me is the Clear Eyes company. None of the other companies work as well. Clear Eyes even beats out the pharmaceutical varieties.

@Mary Linda Bittle yes that has been the saving grace of no more jigsaw puzzles. The cats can no longer claim them as their own! If they weren't playing with them they would hide them or they would even eat them. So I'm a very mean Momma... I took away one of their toys.

@herbantherapy now I never thought about them. My experience with jumbo pieces has only been with the children's puzzles and those take about a minute or two if you are lucky. I'll have to look around and find some of them and see how many pieces etc. they come in. Thanks for the suggestion.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@greyfurball I can not help you, am sorry.

Close-up I retain about perfect vision, & the single-focus Driving-glasses am trying to get rid of. Have you a good suggestion for that?

@silvertipgrizz - For "rest & relaxation", I am creative... especially vivid (full-color & panoramic sounds) dreams while sleeping (more so while on right side, than the more healthy/deep sleep Left side I wrote about here https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/comment/850231#Comment_850231 ) Except for my Skating-dreams , most of my dreams are about others, how I can brighten their day... or help.

So puzzles, or sitting still, does not relax me, it makes me fidget, until I jump up & actively create...

Right this minute tho I am trying to figger out how to use a USB-drive, for my Library "technology" class in two hours. I am trying to Back-up my HUGE email-file, & all my photos, & all my Bookmarks. - I only have 3 drives, 32Gigs each, while I have way more than that on the computer. Do you know how?

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbow

I have used usb drives in the past, a long while ago, but I remember that basically I would plug it in to a usb port and then check the 'files' access on my puter. I believe the instructions are pretty easy and you should be able to find them there. Or if that doesn't work, try doing a search on internet on the how to. I don't believe it is a difficult task, but having to figure electronics out online is irritating to me as I think it is more serving to include somethiing you can read on paper and make notes, and have something to reference back to if need be.

I have been known to call computer stores and ask them as many of the employees are pretty good at puter knowledge. And I would always ask for someone who was the most puter savvy in an effort to avoid all the 'i don't knows' and to get straight to the info I needed.

Yes I am type A.

I will try not to forget later today to see if I can find that on my puter. If you get a chance, what is the brand and any other specifics and I'll just see if I can find it for you on their web site if you haven't already figured it out as I just now saw this post.

• silvertipgrizz

@greyfurball

I apologize if this was already addressed, but what I have to do might help you too:

The shades, esp when there are multiple darker shades is difficult for me as well, but what helps is to have a lamp with a curved neck that I can adjust as necessary and I am able to adjust it to better illuminate the differences. Also, when I used to do the 1000 piece puzzles I grouped the pieces by type, ie border pieces, by common colors according to the picture on the box...all my strategies so I didn't get bogged down and I really enjoyed the puzzles much more that way.

Also, there is a new product on the market. I forgot what it is called but I know it works because that is how I would be able to read small letters on my tv when it was setting too far away to be easily read. The new product, The glasses are black on the lens area with many tiny dots. I mimiked this by putting my curled fingers like binoculars at both my eyes. I figured out the reason it worked is because it aided my eyes in 'light' focus becaues as we age it is my understanding that our eye muscles don't constrict/dilate as accurately as younger eyes therefore, not able to adjust to needed light as easily. I believe that is the very reason the small pin hole black lens glasses work. If you try to find them and can't let me know and I will try to help you.

• silvertipgrizz

@greyfurball

Have a look at this amazing company/info and see if you think part of it might help you:

There are so many links for specific issues that we have across the spectrum of eye issues..maybe something here will help you and anyone else reading/researching this info.

• greyfurball

@rainbow I'm sorry this is so late but I've been off the site for about a month now... laptop troubles - had to get a new one. Then setup and stuff again to get to use it. Now the last two days I've been going thru all the old discussions to see if I missed anyone's questions to me.

So if you still need to know how to do the USB drives (since you mentioned you needed it in 2 hours that day) let me know and I will try to walk you thru it.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @greyfurball - yes, still have to learn re the USB-drive, because the guy-librarian got me confused. &

I had to cancel Monday's class due to being "under the weather" (which is funny as it's snowing now, & gonna be about 20 next week, while I still need to go to work... ) Sweetie is already shipped to a HEATED-house), while ours continues in the low 40's. --- so I really can't say When I can pay enough Attention, lol - but I will let you know, thank you.