How did we survive childhood?

bcabrobin
bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

I grow up eating/doing the things that they now say are bad for you.

How come we all survived? If you believe what they say we all should be dead.

As a kid, we used to throw ink berries at each other (we invented paint ball, just didn't know it).

We eat elderberries right off the plants, seeds and all.

Chokecerries, apple seeds, peach pits ( we thought it was lucky to find a peach pit broken so you could eat the inside too).

We drank from the garden hose or the hose in the milk house. We shared cups. We went ALL day never washing your hands. You rubbed your hand on your dirty pants before you took the sandwich when making hay.

Wow the stuff we did, and I think we had a awesome childhood!

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. All that exposure created healthier immune systems. That said, some children still bear the effects of exposure to lead paint and mercury. (I know people who hand sanded lead paint off their homes when they were children. I also know more than one person who played with liquid mercury from broken thermometers when they were children.)

Most of us did not get broken bones when falling out of trees or monkeybars.

There are health experts who now tell us to go put our hands in soil so we can provide beneficial bacteria for our bodies.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited December 2019

My childhood... WOW! The bad stuff was about as bad as things get - abuse, illness, bullying... I don't want to think about that. In the spirit of this thread, wow, the stuff I did! My hobby in my pre-to early teens was climbing buildings and jumping off... I got up to 3 stories jumping, but climbed bigger ones.. all free hand, of course. I made home brew... got pretty good at it by age 14-15... smoked tobacco and smoked pot. I fought with the guys, loved the girls, skipped school... got up to all kinds of trouble... nothing really bad.... spent a lot of time in the woods The good thing back then is that adults didn't wrap us in bubble wrap. That was back when cigarettes were in vending machines and no one freaked out if a teenager bought beer. It was called the "school of hard knocks".... learning our lessons the hard way. There was both innocence and danger. It was exciting and fun... and painful and tough... learning to be a responsible man was a lot like learning to ride a horse... I got bucked off a lot. My biggest regret was not doing military service, but when I was 18 a back injury left me paralyzed for over two years. A lot of the guys I grew up with, who grew up the same way, became good soldiers, good husbands and good fathers... solid, good humored, tough. Some didn't make it. All left memories that are really worth remembering; good kids... but not too good.

• shllnzl

@judsoncarroll4 You brought up the other part of surviving childhood: the emotional/mental part. It is normal and honorable to want to protect children from experiencing bad things, preventable evils and neglect.

The idiots nowadays are trying to protect children so much that they don't allow the children to fail, like in a sports competition. We need to fail and learn how to deal with the negative emotions so we can overcome the bad things we will experience as adults. I still suspect young adult suicides are tied to the inability to deal with failure. Some of our young people feel like failures when they cannot experience the success of their parents, not realizing that it took their parents a lifetime to get where they are.

I know I am preaching to the choir here.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4

If you would share your story of your back injury, paralysis and healing I would be very grateful. There is great potential for hope in your story. I would share your story, without divulging your privacy of course if you do share it.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4

What an amazing testimony! And a wholehearted story of hope. Thank you for sharing.

FYI, anything that inflames the liver will add to inflammation in the body.

That's one of the ways the rx keeps people on opioids and worse, tramadol. The drug hits the liver and inflames the body. chronic pain is caused by the initial injury, with the addition of hepatic inflammation adds to the misery. Whem I quit taking codiene about a month ago, I discovered after 12 years of nasty dangerous drugs so I could sleep, and even get out of bed, I found the pain was tolerable for the most part, as the systemic inflammation has been reduced drasticsally just by not loading the liver with dangerous rx. Every doctor I asked what the cause for chronic pain was lied to me and said 'we don't know what causes it' but my research gave me the answer that I fully believe thy have all know the whole time. T4 was the least of it. Thank God that nightmare is over.

Try to protect your discs from dehydration as the body wil take water from where ever it can get it to protect the most crucial organs. Desiccated discs is common in people with perpetual dehydration. I am a perfect example of that from years of working too many long hours without adequate hydration.

I hope you and yours are having the best Christmas/holidays ever.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
  • LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@silvertipgrizz So then, what would be the safest and most effective herbs to support the liver, especially orally if someone is on magical marijuana(not me)? I have a list, but would like opinions backed by solid research. Constant all over body pain is what one friend is in, also told by doctors that they have no clue what is up. It can be hard on the liver, so I want to know what to recommend, but safety is of highest priority of course.

Processed sugar is inflammatory and they have noticed the connection, so have ditched those types of sugars.

You just confirmed my suspicions of the first step to take.

My childhood was one controlled by a narcissistic parent. Not fun. It still plagues me. I could tell you stories, but would rather not.

I was not one to take risks (I preferred other things for enjoyment), but like others, was exposed to real dangers & the perceived "modern dangers." I am still here, but like someone above commented, many are not. We are the fortunate ones who can teach our youth what the real dangers are and what fake dangers are. We can teach them so they have knowledge & give them the tools to create wisdom in their choices.

Our kids are homeschooled, rural, and have extremely minimal screen time, which gives them freedoms that most kids today don't have. It also gives us, as parents, the opportunity to give them more guidance as they navigate youth.

We are not helicopter parents, nor are they "unsocialized." Except that they drive me crazy most days, I believe they are pretty well balanced. We have received compliments on their behavior, ability to converse intelligently, ability to problem solve independently, work hard, be creative, have skills most kids don't (self sufficiency & life skills), etc.

Hopefully by homeschooling them with awareness (ours & theirs), we can give them what they need to be successful, which is live well (not necessarily monetarily) with contentment, confidence and purpose.

• shllnzl

@Laurie Congratulations on putting in the work to be a fantastic parent.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@shllnzl I don't always feel that I am succeeding in my efforts, but I think that it is a normal feeling for a mom/parent.

Thank you.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

WoW! This is such an incredible story @judsoncarroll4

I am so honored to know you. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Marjory Wildcraft

@silvertipgrizz and @judsoncarroll4 Oh Sivlertip, yes, hydration is sooo important. We have an ebook book all about hydreation which should be in your TGN library. I didn't realize how important it was for spinal discs... but it makes sense.

• Marjory Wildcraft

BTW, I have no idea how I survived my childhood either. Yes, abuse, alcohol, drugs, neglect.. fortunately not much violence.

Yes, I too liked to jump off the roof, but only the first story :)

We didn't have seat belts that functioned properly. And I remb er a big hole in the floor board of the old beater my Mom drove, where I could watch the stree go by underneath me.

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone for your comments. You may feel they were off topic but I feel they were what made you! If you had had a halmark card childhood, think what your life would of been like, not what and where you would be today I bet!

We didn't jump off roofs, other than the milk house, but we jumped from the top of the hay biles and down through the floor into the feed area, it was faster to do that than walk around to spread the hay out.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @bcabrobin re your response: When I think of what my life would have been like, I would still be the Little composer I started life out as, as you can read here https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/842727/you-are-free#latest And most likely & most importantly I would have raised the 8 precious children (that the evil in this world denied me) the pleasure of Lovingly raising..., & not been saddled with the evils I was tested with. -- When mortality is all said & done, the sweetest words I live... to hear, & beyond my best earthly friends like Janice who tells me continuously "Well done!"