The neck

silvertipgrizz
silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in General Health

I hope this helps everyone whether with or yet without neck issues.

Tagged:

Comments

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I have had chronic neck pain for at least 20 years, if not longer. I will follow up on his suggestions for exercises that he offers in separate videos. This was very helpful. Thanks.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Wow, thank you for posting! I don't have headaches or vertigo, but I've noticed my nect getting stiff and I'm wanting to relax those muscles more. Cool.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Will definitely check it out - thanks!

• silvertipgrizz

what other body parts does anyone need vids on? I'm not kidding, he does vids about every night and many on musculoskeletal areas, plus physiology as well.

@solarnoon.aspen

@Marjory Wildcraft

@judsoncarroll4

I'll also post some from a pair of physical therapists that show diff exercises to help with neck, back etc. But know that there is a man who for a very long time has had 2 books out: heal your back; heal your neck. It has worked for me for years since my first injury in 1986. I can't think of his name off hand but I will and will post that too. Basically, one of his main exercises shows how to 'milk' the discs back into place to 'centralize' the pain/discomfort, getting the pressure off the nerve/s and stopping the shooting nerve pain and hopefully mitigating permanent nerve damage. Many times it cancels the need for steroid injections which are not ideal nor always do they work.

Ok I will look for them now and post as soon as I find them.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @silvertipgrizz - in June I posted here re my most serious physical injury: "my injuries started age 23 when as a nurse passing out medications, I tried to keep a 280 pound man from falling out of bed. Tried to block his fall with my own body, & when he fell on top of me - the result was that I came within a hair of ending up paralyzed from C-2 down for LIFE. I was 90% paralyzed for seven weeks, but received NO treatment whatsoever. For 2 decades continued fainting almost every day, but had to force myself to continue working....

Forty plus years later I still have to work to pay the bills. And then in 2015 a surgeon took my broken wrist & upper arm out of Alignment "to teach you a lesson", which further crippled me. - So you can imagine what I go thru to DIG with only my hands over forty HOLES attempting to create for us a food Forest garden...

• peggyfairbourne
    peggyfairbourne Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting! I've only seen the first video so far, but Dr. Mandell helped me to work on correcting posture that could easily have led to neck pain. We do have to be careful not to slouch when using our handheld devices.

• silvertipgrizz

@solarnoon.aspen , @Marjory Wildcraft , @judsoncarroll4

this is from amazon, and now in addition to Dr. Robin McKenzie's: treat your own back, and treat your own neck, he also has writen a new one..treat your own shoulder. all three books are listed when you go to this link on amazon or just type in 'treat your own back' amazon.. the back and shoulder books really helped me and if I had known he had one on shoulders,....

• silvertipgrizz

@rainbow

Well, that surgeon, teaching you a lesson? On what...what kind of an a.... h.... he is?

That is just aweful, and I truely feel for your pain and disability.

I do know what you go through trying to grow your own food. So many of us have so much to do without much help...and broken bodies.

• Marjory Wildcraft

@silvertipgrizz

KNEES! Holy cow, I don't know what I've done to myself in the last year but my knees are complaining... I honestly don't know what I've changed. I used to have such ease going up and down from the ground and now it is getting very painful. WTF??? LOL. I love my knees and need to get them back!

• gennywu
    gennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

Thank you @silvertipgrizz for that video link. I have frequent neck pain that sometimes leads to migraine headaches. This video, and the videos that were linked to it, have proved very helpful! In just one day my neck feels so much better and I feel like my range of motion has increased. Dr. Mandell is definitely worth watching!

• silvertipgrizz

@Marjory Wildcraft

I will have more to add on knees in a little bit. I will start looking for stuff on knees for you and prolly most everyone else lol.

But I will tell you that back in 2003, jan feb and march I was routinely walking with a friend on a back trail, with my bad bad right knee. She liked to run and I wanted to shape up so in spite of the risk to my knee, but being thoughtful of it all the while, I slowly started to run. When I finally got up to a reasonable still slow running pace I realized my knee felt better and the pain was hardly noticeable. Then in 2009 my knee was acting up again and when my otho told me yes i needed surgery but he wanted me to wait til I was 60...because he said the knee prostheses were only lasting about 10 years???

Then about 4 years ago a friend told me that her knees were so much better after her surgery...both of them but she was over weight at the time..then she added that the only thing was...she could not hardly bend her knees anymore. One of the many reasons I avoid surgery like the plague when possible.

Here it is all these years later and my knee still bothers me but not like it used to. there is good info out there so I'll get started working on that research.

HAPPY NEW YEAR Marjory!!!

• silvertipgrizz

@gennywu

Keep watching as I have more info coming. Just behind the curve a little.

HAPPY NEW YEAR gennywu!

• Marjory Wildcraft

@silvertipgrizz thanks so much for that post.

Yikes! a knee replacement only lasts a decade? Wow, that's totally crazy.... You know you are going to have to go through surgery again... But the bigger worry is, will there be effective antibiotics in 10 years?

A friend of mine told me she has arthritus everywhere she has ever had surgery, so definitely be ware - hah, if I wasn't already!

I'm pretty sure my issue is some sort of mis use... I am working with a physical therapist right now to strengthen some weaker muscles which may have been causing an overcompensation.

I loved your comment about how running helped!

• silvertipgrizz

@Marjory Wildcraft

I'm posting vid's because they are about potential knee issues, how to assess and/or what ever else like rest, ice etc. But, you prolly already know that at mid life things start to wear..Or it could be like in my case, my shrivled discs what is left of them have off set my posture vertically leaving one leg appearing just a tiny bit longer than the other when it is really my spine issues. I'm mentioning this to point out that because we often don't know what is wrong with our knee/s sometimes learning about what might be the problem will at least help us rule things out as we go, or pinpoint things to bring up to our ortho to help he or she 'rule it our' or have determined that might be the problem. I hope that makes sense. But even if the it takes a while for the vid that is more closely related to your knee issue, you will be at leadt armed with more knowledge re your knee.

On the knee prostheses only lasting on average 10 years..that might have changed by now, but since then I have heard of at least one recall if that was the right word, for a certain manufacturer prostheses causing real problems for the person having received them as their knee replacement. Basically, I would query my ortho on both of these potential issurs, and do my research on the company and prostheses that my ortho planned/recommend I would recieve for my replacement joint. And also, that I would still be able to bend my knee after the procedure.

This first vid is on assessing for an ACL tear. The second one is for a meniscus injury. I'll go through their you tube listings and post everythibng on the knee I can find.

One last thing....if you sub to BobandBrad.com you will get emails of their latest vids but they also have drawings to give away stuff free all the time, and alot of what they give is expensive so don't forget to check that out. Here they are:

• silvertipgrizz

@Marjory Wildcraft

Looks like the middle vid in the above post failed. So here it is again:

• silvertipgrizz

@Marjory Wildcraft

This one might be your answer. See what you think:

• ines871
    edited January 2020

Hi @silvertipgrizz - our type-A, sweet, kind-hearted :) friend

When you posted "you prolly already know that at mid life things start to wear." I wanted to Caution you, because too often people pass-along such things, as tho they are Gospel/FACT, when in fact we don't want to saddle people with such decrepid beliefs... that then turn into their reality, too. Just because "at mid life (for many) things start to wear"; - does NOT mean it happens for EVERYbody.

The people who are not wearing are specifically doing & living how... ? - just a thought.

Do you agree this above would be much more useful, @silvertipgrizz ?

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz lower back. The bones between the knee and ankle. Wrists. Hands and fingers. Thank you

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz Thank you for posting the video! I've been looking for some ways to help my husband with his neck and shoulder problems and Dr. Mandell's videos have given me some options to try that I think will be helpful.

• silvertipgrizz

@Leslie Carl

Is his shoulder issue a rotator cuff?

You're welcome.

Also have a look at Bob and Brad the two physical therapist. If you sign up for their web site you get opportunities to enter to win stuff they give away and most of it is very nice stuff and expensive. plus their vid's alerts.

• silvertipgrizz

@teachercaryn

Do you mean the two leg bones when you say the bones between the ankle and the knee?

I'll be looking for those vid's for you.

• silvertipgrizz

@rainbow

Hi rainbow.

All I can say is.... msery loves company lol........

• ines871
    edited January 2020

Well, at last had time to watch the 1st. video on "MOTION = lotion iow Flexibility..."

I Absolutely maintain that (where = environment), coupled with (how = beliefs, + Attitude I grew is why I remain as flexible... at (that ridiculous 'age') that I do: When I was preschool, I observed most or all critters called adults buy... into beliefs, + thus thoughts, + behaviors, with RESULTS that they then complain... about as tho that was the right way to be. - I looked at them in shock & thought "what craziness !, to repeat to oneself over & over thru the years "it is NORMAL to AGE~fall apart". It is normal because EVERYbody does it"

Patently false !!

Not true. (just because hair, (face+hands SKIN exposed to the sun turns wrinkly), do Notice the rest of your body's skin remains young & supple... & so can your body. Bright examples:

77 year old Constance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GVkpmiS6CY 🤗

90 year young gymnast 🤗 Johanna 's Floor exercise, & Parallel bars, & Beam. etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o625rylh3bY

97 year old SPRINTER Eugster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CjzX-U53lU " LIFE is a gift... We recycle everything else, so too we can recycle ourself. 🤗 It's not over, until it is over."

And me?: just a 'baby' yet, so no U-tube channel, - but I have nonetheless achieved remarkably 🤗 as well. And someday I would love to make this too reality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg5r7Xi5RpM&list=RDcg5r7Xi5RpM#t=19

Point being: we can "BE as young as we want" & our passion/Zest & Drive & Determination make ALL the difference :) @silvertipgrizz

If my contribution in your Raising Livestock section is 'out of place', I will gladly Start another discussion... lol

• Leslie Carl

@silvertipgrizz Thanks for the Bob and Brad recommendation. No it's not a rotator cuff issue. It's more of a tendonitis problem.

• maryannfricko
    maryannfricko Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz

Thanks for posting. Does he have one about the hips?

• silvertipgrizz

@maryannfricko

I'll check both the doc and the pt's for one on the hips as I do not remember for sure. Will let you know with it posted to you if I find one.

@Leslie Carl What ever you do, don't let anyone talk you into contrast 'gadolinium' a very dangerous concoction that seems to have an affinity for human brains and burning sensation throughout the body. Just look at the situation where the wife of Chuck Norris almost died because of that contrast. Her experience was so bad it should have been the end of this particular contrast... just a heads up in case some doc thinks you should let someone inject you with that.

• silvertipgrizz

@rainbow

oh brother...how did that happen lol rof.

• Leslie Carl

@silvertipgrizz Thank you for the heads up! Generally we avoid medical doctors and always look for natural solutions. We don't take any pharmaceutical medications and never plan to.

• silvertipgrizz

@Leslie Carl

Thing about the contrast... with my massive rotator cuff tear back on 07, my mri was without contrast and the surgeon had no problem seeing the injury on the mri and during surgery, and he fixed it better than the lesser injured one on the right that he fixed...both torn in same injury...

So why did any other doc need help seeing an injured bicep??? All about money...

• Marjory Wildcraft

Wow @rainbow I had so much fun watching those YouTube videos. THose elders are so inspiring!