Skillet Flatbreads

Comments

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

Can't do... regular flours off the menu.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks a lot easier than I expected. May have to try that.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@greyfurball

If I remember correctly, kaf also mentioned a viewer/commenter method that subbed 2 or maybe 3 types of flour, rye maybe...

kaf has a chef's line that if you were interested you could call and ask them how to sub what you prefer for their original. They have always been friendly and helpful when I have called them.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@greyfurball - I'm the same, so I found us THIS https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/gluten-free-flatbread-3-ingredient/

Unlike you who loves cooking, I was forbidden to be in the kitchen as a child until I left to be on my own, so I don't have the Confidence, nor the Interest now. Most Yummies from the garden never make it into the house. RAW (full of precious enzymes) is my mainstay. - That said, this only has 3 !!! ingredients, I can handle that LOL

• 1 cup (4oz/115g) almond flour*
    • 1 cup (4oz/115g) tapioca starch*
    • 1 can (387g/13.6oz) coconut full fat milk*
    • 1 teaspoon coconut oil, or ghee for frying

YUMMMMMM ! 🤗

What does anybody else think ?

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbow I prefer my tapioca in pudding form. Then I add the flavoring of my choice, ie blackberries, raspberries, elder jelly, oh, and

real good molasses from 'Golden Barrel' the best I have ever tasted except my grandmothers years ago.

• ines871

@silvertipgrizz - re "prefer tapioca in pudding form". <- That's nice.

But this is a thread about FLATbreads . Increasing folks are going Gluten-FREE, so I found us this https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/gluten-free-flatbread-3-ingredient/ recipe. And I can make it with but 3 ingredients, YES!

And when I asked what does anybody else think?, it was maybe substituting a different Gluten-FREE flour, for the Almond flour.

• ines871

@silvertipgrizz - Well, to correct my posting a goofy mistake above, here is the Corrected version of this Flatbread:

Servings: 5

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup almond flour ( like Bob's Red Mill )
    • 1/2 cup tapioca flour ( like Bob's Red Mill )
    • 1 cup coconut milk (canned and full fat)
    • seasoning of Choice

Instructions

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl with a whisk until you have a smooth thick batter.
    2. Pour about a 1/4 cup of batter at a time into a Coconut-oil covered well-greased pan over medium heat.
    3. Once the batter looks like it's almost fully cooked (2-3 minutes) or until tiny bubbles begin to form around the outside, Flip over to cook other side.
    4. Enjoy! --- Cover and store leftover flatbread in the fridge in an airtight container for up to

Original recipe from: My Heart Beets

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@greyfurball have you tried using einkorn flour? I switched from almond to einkorn a year ago and absolutely LOVE IT! It takes a bit longer to rise but in flatbread it doesn’t matter so much.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

I love flatbread!

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

@herbantherapy

No I've never tried that one. I have never been a big bread eater so experimenting with grains etc. hasn't been a big priority for me.

I've found a few I like with almond, coconut and flaxseed with just a little arrowroot and tapioca sprinkled in occasionally but it's just never been a big priority for me since I only make something like bread once or twice a month anyway.

Do you have a good recipe and I would probably give it a try anyway? Since I have not ate a sandwich for 9 years now, even the variety would be welcome in my diet.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

My kids love making bannock. It is not a whole lot different.

Try wrapping this around a stick and roasting over an open flame, or using a cast iron pan & doing similar. Adding some berries could also be interesting. The flavor fire gives is wonderful!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Oh, stick bannock! I taught a group of Brownies (young girl scouts for those of you south of the border) how to do that at camp years ago. Haven't made it in a long time.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited January 2020

I grew up with two skillet flatbreads. Flour bread", which was biscuit dough cooked in a skillet.... like a big pancake. It was remarkably light, and made with home made lard, and buttermilk... fantastic, really. But, we also had fried cornbread in eastern NC. That was just plain cornmeal, water and salt, fried in oil, in thin, crispy patties (no sugar or leavening) . It was not really similar at all to baked corn breads. I can honestly say, especially with the addition of some finely chopped onion, fried corn bread is one of the best foods I've ever tasted - it would be on my top 10 list... and I've eaten most everything.

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 I love anything involving cornmeal. Do you have amounts/ratios for the cornmeal flatbread? I am not seeing how this would make anything that would stay together, but I would certainly love to try this. I have made fried cornmeal mush, but that involves overnight cooling.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Just stir up some finely ground, plain cornmeal, with just a bit of salt and enough water so that it becomes a medium... loose-ish… not dry not thick... slurry.... spoon it into hot oil.