Endangered Plants

VickiP
VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Endangered Species

I just found a new resource regarding endangered plants : https://www.netcredit.com/blog/endangered-plant-us/?fbclid=IwAR2kJJnrGfCHfXZzRB5UmPmyhyLvxYQ4TjbpzQ9PeldZ669LG7AyTI7VNk0 If you like to wild craft and/or grow natural gardens you need to be aware of these plants. It is important to grow these from either nursery stock or from environmentally sourced seed. Some of them are so rare that we will probably never see them in the wild or even in gardens. ☹️

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

This is what I am doing in the mountains of NC - propagating rare and endangered herbs and other plants. I'll be offering them for sale as an alternative to wild harvested, when ready.

• VickiP

That's really cool. I also raise wild things in my gardens, they bring me much joy . I only grow those that are native to my area, it isn't always easy to get plants or seeds but if I notice construction going on, I salvage plants from the destruction zone. We have had contractors give us some beautiful plants (not native) just to save them. It never hurts to ask.

• judsoncarroll4

@VickiP That was was inspired me to start the project, as well. I notices goldenseal and bee balm being uprooted for a house build. There was ghost/indian pipe, too... but all I can do is take the topsoil it grows on and hope to transplant it that way.

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

@VickiP This is fascinating. I lived most of my life in Michigan and the last 13 years in New Jersey and never heard of either state's plant.

When I lived in Michigan, one of my neighbors was very active in the Master Gardeners' program. They did a lot of plant rescues from sites being developed and she entrusted some of their saves to me since we had riparian property. I particularly remember the goldenseal.

Now that I'm in New Jersey, the South Jersey Organic Gardeners' Club, of which I'm a member, has tried to do the same thing to no avail. The township was interested , but the developer of a huge project was not. I assume there are liability issues. <sigh>

• VickiP

Probably, my husband was in construction so it was an "inside job" so to speak. Every state has different laws, here we can't rescue from a state maintained highway I have wondered if that is liability issue as well. On dirt roads it used to be OK. I would go through after they did ditch work or scrapped the road and would rescue any that had been partially uprooted. I haven't been out for awhile so would need to check the laws. However it is still legal to transplant from private land, with the owners permission. Which may be the most sustainable option.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea for states that have them Well-identified. But for WA-state, this site says "Oregon checkerbloom" is a tough wildflower member of the mallow family that includes okra, cotton & cacao. It prefers a moist habitat, ideally rich in rhizomatous, perennial grasses or deciduous and coniferous trees and shrubs. Changing wetlands and invasive species threaten the Oregon checkerbloom’s ongoing existence."

in WA, state officials often praise them selves for eradicating any plant they call "invasive", even when Endangered.

Would that they worked as hard eradicating invasive... ideologies Endangering our US Constitution, as that would be more worthwhile, & better for the whole country. What do you think?

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 I know that parts of GA, NC, and SC had wildfires in 2016. Did this have an impact on foraging more than that season? Sometimes a fire can really rejuvenate the land while other devastate it. Did you notice or were you told of a difference following the 2016 fires?

• judsoncarroll4

The fires were not in my area, so they didn't affect me. But, I hear there was a great morel harvest the next season.