Achieve better painting results

Comments

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome.

Now @silvertipgrizz🙂 if only there was a guide... on which Double-pane WINDOWS to get installed, that someone on the low end of finances can actually afford... Our house was brand new, BUT a mere 13 years years later the SEALS broke, which is why the house has had NO heat for the past three winters. It's 45 degrees in here, BRRR !

and

Last year we had to have a NEW roof installed, which I'm still paying for. Cheap house!!

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbow Well you know what they call houses

THE MONEY PIT

Try 'this old house' for that issue as they have many vids I just have picked any of them yet which is one reason I picked this one today..too many chores around the hosue and so many of us, esp me have no idea how to even get started fixing issues.

I use bubble wrap on my windows. The amazing thing is you just spray from a cheap bottle, water on the window and gently push the bubble wrap against the glass... sticks for a long time unless like me one of your heat vents is right above the kitchen window.

Then get some spring rods, the ones with the bigger ends/with rubber, and put up some felt from the bolt so is a big enough piece and see what a diff that will make. the last place I lived in AK was in a trailer my landlord refurbished, in the frigid north at 50 below my window openings were not cold.

Maybe that would help you with 2 stones: warmth and a little off your finance export...

• ines871
    edited January 2020

@silvertipgrizz - Thank you for those suggestions.

But the three windows that need Replacing, as also the windows that have Sprouts on the sill.

With the "bubble wrap" on the windows, how would the sprouts get Enough light???

And re "put up some felt from the bolt": No idea what that is about?

Too when you started with: "you know what they call houses THE MONEY PIT" - do you live in your own house ?

Getting too overwhelmed, & too discouraged. - For years have thought of selling this place, & living homeless... in a van, on raw land that I can tinker around on.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbow

By end of summer or at latest, I plant to be on the road to where ever I am going, not sure yet where that will be but will be living out of my car to save money for some land, hopefully with a not new med to small farm house, and hopefully with a barn for straw, for my cat to sleep and hunt criters in and around and not in town where can garden and breathe fresh air and see the stars at night.

On the bubble wrap, I spray the window with plain water and attach the bbl wrap and when ever I need to or want to pull the bbl wrap down, is easy, just pull it down, I roll mine up if I plan to replace it later when the sun startes getting low and the temp heads up or down enough to need it up. I just spray a little water and it goes ruight back up. My window glass is set inside some type of metal, aluminum I think and the water does not phase it.

Have you tried caulking to help seal out the inclement/cold/heat?

the felt is just another layer to trap warm air. But it is plush to a degree so it just keeps your house a little warmer or cooler depending on the time of year. I did that in Fairbanks in a refurbished trailer and it stayed nice and warm inside.

• ines871

@silvertipgrizz Thank you for your concern re Heating. I worked out a temporary solution that works okay for now, plus the $45/month in winter Electric bill is good too.

As far as "living in a car": have you heard of https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/ started by Bob Wells who had no other choice in the beginning, but as time went on, decided VAN-dwelling was just what he wanted, so he's helped countless... many people, including via this forum, & the annual IN-person RTR... There, many car Mechanics help people find a cheap vehicle, & make it home, & get help maintaining their vehicle. - For a while, this seemed like the thing for us too. -When I told Sweetie, he said Are you crazy!

Then, there's the challenge of finding what you want: "land with older med to small farm house, and hopefully with a barn for straw, for my cat to sleep & hunt critters in, and not in town where can garden & breathe fresh air & see the stars at night." - How many places have you searched, like: https://www.land.com/ Marjory could most likely give you some ideas, as she was in Real estate ?

And recently you posted "I'm an old lady": so how much can you afford? --- Plus when you need major repairs, how will you get them Done? - Too, Are you Introverted, enough to live many acres from your neighbors ? - What you describe is easily enough to find, This I know for a Fact. - Provided you have workable answers to Inevitable details... that must be answered.

Dreaming... is the EASY part. - Now, do you Dianna have the intrinsic, & Monetary resources ?? to make your dreams Reality... I wish you well. 🙂