Just an interesting news bit

Comments

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

Oh brother. 😳

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

It has the same old lies from the chemical companies. I don't understand why they stick with those when they keep being proven wrong. Now Kelloggs has proven them wrong too. Keep pushing, Kelloggs! 👏 The PR person for the spray company just doesn't want opposition. I call 🤥

Those wheat kernels are desiccated...the proper term. Every conventional farmer & their dog desiccates their fields. The seed growers know the harm sprays do to the kernel viability, etc. as they get paid for extreme top quality and so they DON'T desiccate, even if they spray very minimally otherwise. It is not just for weed control. Its main purpose is actually desiccation and it is so very unnecessary. We have seen perfectly ripe fields get desiccated. It turns a beautiful golden crop into an ugly sort of reddish tinted brown. It looks sick. ☹ It is done because most farmers have too much land and no longer have the time to manage all if it and it is a fast way to dry it out & have it wait for them until it is ready. They both spray it ripe & when it is "close." The chemical companies insist that these practices are necessary. (Of course it is for the chemical companies to make money for themselves.) 🙄

There are less farmers than in times past and instead more huge ag corporations (not real farms using real farm practices), this bringing their 3% stat a *little* closer to the truth.

There is also a viable alternative to using spray. It is called small farms, naturally or organically managed.

I don't have enough of the following to express my thoughts. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I am not looking forward to the highly polluted air of the next 3 seasons around our place. ☹ It gets pretty nasty and there is really no break.

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, we can't seem to trust anything that companies claim these days. Heck! We can't even trust package labeling. They do everything they can to hide the truth from us, so that they can sell more product.

For example, since there is no standard set for the word "Natural", any product labeled as "100% Natural" has nothing to do with what we think "Natural" should mean. And then there's the way that they are trying to hide the high fructose corn syrup content by calling it by another name such as "fructose" and then making it contain even higher concentrations of it. So now it is even more of a health risk than regular HFCS.

Here's a list of names that are being used for high fructose corn syrup:

1. Maize syrup

2. Glucose syrup

3. Glucose-fructose syrup

4. Tapioca syrup

5. Fruit fructose

6. Crystalline fructose

7. HFCS (the same name, just the shortened version)

8. Isoglucose

9. Corn syrup

10. Dahlia syrup

This kind of deception alone should be against the law! I mean, if something is harmful to our health, it shouldn't be allowed in our food.

Stepping off my soapbox now...

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Thank you so much for the insights, Laurie. I had actually never heard of this practice before reading the article....

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Gosh, so much deception in labeling. Agreed that this practice should be illegal!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

@Leslie Carl Don't forget liquid sugar and invert sugar.

@Merin Porter You are welcome. My husband worked for a seed grower for 7 years and got extra insight about farming from him. This seed grower fought the monsanto mindset. He did still spray a little (unfortunately), but it was very minimal and never that particular company's products.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't life be easier if labels actually held information rather than advertising?

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Well, I'm off cereal. I hadn't eaten it for a long time, then my aunts left some here after a visit. If I eat it in the morning, I feel a big blood sugar drop an hour or two later. The only cereal I really like is old fashioned muesli. I've just decided to grow my own grains, nuts, seeds and fruit (to dry) .