System
System Posts: 121 admin
edited November 2020 in Bio-Intensive Gardening

imageBio-Intensive Gardening – Choosing What To Plant

Read the full story here

Comments

• T. Michael Smith
    T. Michael Smith Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

I really enjoyed this lesson. I'm beginning my 1st composting and want to eventually be as self sufficient as possible. I know a guy who will sell me a trailer of compost at a very good price, but as you know every penny counts when spending toward your farm. Ideally, we want to improve our diets, spend way less on groceries, not to lose money in the process. Providing that resource of good soil amendments yourself through your planning is so important. I also have livestock that is a part of my composting green material. We raise chickens, ducks, and dairy goats. Eggs, milk, cheese, and butter, are excellent sources of calories and vitamins, and protein. They taste great too. You can't have mayonnaise a staple in many recipes we eat without eggs. Bread without butter ridiculous. Plan, replant, and plan again is a good way to live life. Those who don't plan, (choose) often blame their circumstances rather than conquer them.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

This lesson was very informational. I have always thought mostly about the nutrition from my garden. Yes we have raised potatoes, but I had only thought about it as nutrition, not as calories. And the need to raise food (compost) for your garden hadn't been a priority. I just figured that the kitchen scraps were the nutrition for the garden, and that it would take care of itself especially if I included some legumes to fix nitrogen. This is very valuable information which I will use going forward in my garden planning.

• Nicoleburba
    Nicoleburba Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

I have started this course, it seems very interesting

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

So I am intrigued by these Tree Collards. Is it the way that you grow them or are the a specific variety?