Potential for a domino effect from the coronavirus

dottile46
dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

@This article is very thought provoking. Regardless of how you prefer to prevent or treat an illness in your family, you must understand the long term effects something like the coronavirus has on the entire country and the world as a whole.

The line that really grabs me "....the most effective breathing masks and the bulk of other personal protective equipment — key to containing the spread of coronavirus and protecting health care workers — and even the basic syringe are largely made in China." How many other countries rely on China to manufacture the PPEs for their healthcare workers? How many other industries use this same protective equipment?

@Nikki Follis @Jimerson I wanted to put this in the Current Events and Breaking News but it won't let me. It only lets me put it in the Endangered Species subcategory.

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited February 2020

@dottile46 I find it funny that it will only let you put this in the endangered species category when the link is talking about prevention of illness that worries so many.

It is interesting that this article alludes to now everything is under their control (as if it is a new thing). It has been for a very long time. Health wise, financial wise, and most likely in other areas too. Not new.

I wouldn't doubt that the protective respirator equipment my husband uses is made there.

When I asked him, he made an interesting comment. History records that the US government laced blankets with smallpox to help clear out the native population prior to pushing west. Now, how hard would that be for China to do similar with mask filters.

I am not saying they will do this, just that it is possible (considering a govt. entity has done similar historically), especially now that shipping can easily be temperature controlled. It is an interesting thought. Not one that I will put any worry or more time into, but interesting, just the same. This world is indeed now a small one.

He made mention during SARS, that the masks that were handed out were not sealed enough to prevent anything. The ones I keep seeing in reports with this virus appear just as ineffective. It gives a false sense of security. He needs a fitted mask and is quite familiar with what masks & filters can accomplish effective filtering for whatever purpose.

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

This is truly alarming on many levels. Many of the raw materials that my husband's company uses come from China. They can no longer be sourced domestically at any price. If they should become completely unavailable, it might have a serious trickle down effect in our area. Layoffs would lead to people buying cheap food in an attempt to economize. This would put people in a more precarious state with their health. So while my husband's company isn't directly involved in healthcare, a slowdown in business could have direct consequences on employee health.

Another cause for alarm is the thought that our medical supplies come from China at all. I heard a podcast featuring an accupuncturist. He won't use remedies from China in his practice. There is a company in the southwestern US that he likes. (I don't recall the name of the company. Sorry!)

• dottile46

@Laurie from what little technical info I have read about the coronavirus it appears that the virus is transmitted by close contact through droplets. The CDC further defines close contact to be being within approximately 6 feet (2 meters) of a person infected with this coronavirus for a prolonged period of time. Or having direct contact with infectious secretions from a person infected with this coronavirus. Infectious secretions listed are sputum, serum, blood, and respiratory droplets. Oh, smallpox is passed by droplets as well as by the drainage from the wounds. Just saying.

One talk show I listened to the other day had a guest that is a medical professional and was in Saigon, Vietnam at the time the show was on the radio. He said that they "the people on the news videos) aren't wearing masks to protect themselves from others, they are wearing them to protect others in the chance that they themselves had become infected and didn't know it yet. Funny twist on it, I thought.

@Gail H and to think that we pay through the nose for prescription medication and I doubt those workers see a dime on the dollar for their work. We, the United States of America, needs to be self sufficient. If memory serves me, and sometime it doesn't, I believe that most of the parts needed to repair our aging electrical infrastructure can only be be obtained from China.

• dottile46

@Laurie as to this thread being in Endangered Species.... I clicked on Current Events and Breaking News which highlighted Endangered Species. I tried it several times, even opening it in another tab just to see if I was clicking the wrong spot. When you start a new discussion, the first thing it asks is what category, well Current Events and Breaking News was listed but was not selectable.

Think I will flag this post so it gets straitened out. I just tried the Growing Food category and it does the same thing now that Mycology was added. Hmmm

• Louise
    Louise Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

Fear is generated by lack of knowledge. Hopefully, I can mitigate some, but not all of that fear about the coronavirus.

A typical human does NOT get sick by mere exposure to a pathogen. Albeit, the Bubble Boy would reasonable be expected to die from any exposure to any pathogen.

To keep this simple, I will cover three items that you need to address to virtually eliminate the risk of mortality.

1 The exposure to the pathogen has to be sufficiently large (which is different for each individual) to cause you to get sick, which is the reason to keep a distance from a carrier and wash hands, etc. Such procedures do not eliminate the pathogen, but if you reduce the load sufficiently, you won't get sick.

2 If you keep your fasting urine above a pH of 7.0, a viral pathogen's replication will be seriously impaired. In addition to a proper diet, potassium bicarbonate (or baking soda) can augment you pH level and selenium, black elderberry extract (or Sambucol) and/or green tea extract can be used as adjunct therapies. These place the pathogen "ON ICE." Thus, the pathogen's exponential grow prior to your immune system's activation will be extremely curtailed.

3 Most people now have to depend on a compromised immune system to protect themselves. The drugs people have been taking to address the symptoms of nutrient deficiencies, must now be reversed. Depopulation (compliments of Gates & TPTB) is designed to eliminate those that do not address their deficiencies. The only unknown is which pathogen will take out which deficient individual. The most common deficiencies that most will have to address are: Magnesium, Selenium, Iodine, Zinc, Bicarbonate, Probiotics and Vitamins C, D & K.

The above is for viral infections, but certainly beneficial against any pathogen. If the above is met, there are plenty of herbals and other nostrums that will quickly arrest any sniffles that may arise, such as garlic extract, lomatium extract or iodine drops. For those that don't heed the above, I wish you the best of luck.

I highly recommend the articles by Dr. Mark Sircus. He talks about treating coronavirus, whereas, I would suggest you use his protocols to prevent being sick and thus no need for treatment or risk of mortality.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

@dottile46 I'm pinging Jimerson to let him know about the selection mix up.

ALso, yes the US is hugely dependant on China for many, many things. The Chinese have also been buying up mines for rare earth metals so necessary in electronics. But The Saudi's and the OPEC cartel have been controlling most of the worlds energy supplies for ever... The private bankers have been controlling the money supply (the Federal Reserve is a not a US Gov't institution, it's privately owned), and there are many more examples. We live is a very tightly interconnected world.

I think the biggest danger from teh Corona virus is not the virus itself, but the huge economic impact it will have - triggering economic collapse possibly? We are on the verge of it. I am sure the Trump administration is doing everything they can to delay it until after the election. Can they? I don't know. But regardless, it's coming.

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

@Louise It's interesting that you mention selenium. I think I must have been quite deficient in it. I have never cared for Brazil nuts, but I bought some raw, organic ones this fall and have been eating several every day. I don't think that I've been sick since I started doing this. Maybe a slight tingle in my throat once in awhile or a sneeze or two, but nothing to speak of. I take some form of all of the other minerals that you mentioned, so this seems to have capped things off nicely.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@dottile46 The blanket story was taught in our history class a few decades back. Here is a bit of insight. The blanket idea is actually credited to the British.

Whether or not it worked does not dismiss the fact that it was actually tried by those in authority, and that was actually my point anyway. It is possible that similar can be attempted again. Those with malicious intent will try anything.

I am not of the camp that this Coronavirus is that. I am more of the mindset that everyone dies at some point, of something, and we should be mindful to care for our own health & of our family's. Self sufficiency and making healthy choices is always wise.

• jjocean
    jjocean Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

I grew up in Japan and in the 50's the only people who wore masks (and they were common) were people who were suffering from respiratory infections (such as the common cold). The statement that sick folks are the ones who should wear the masks is based in fact. Makes sense too.

• harpiano
    harpiano Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

While this virus is extremely scary, I'd like to say that with a healthy immune system it would seem one could fight this. I have noticed over the last 5 years with changing my diet, exercise, and mental outlook my immune system has been fine tuned into a healthy properly working machine at age 66! I teach piano lessons and ALL my kids come in sick, coughing, sneezing, running nose etc etc from not eating healthy and organic. They all consume massive quantities of sugar and yearly have all the colds, flu, and pneumonia. My husband and I NEVER catch any of it except once I caught a cold from a parent who is a flight attendant to China!!!! It was a weird "flu" like thing, but I conquered it with garlic, lots of water, and herbal teas including turmeric. This is my hope, that at least if we are exposed we will be able to withstand this virus.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft - re "the biggest danger from teh Corona virus is not the virus itself, but the huge economic impact it will have - Triggering economic collapse possibly? We are on the verge of it. ... it's coming."

May I be allowed to say how I see it? - This is just 15 mins, but explains it well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsFW4l2VW8A

• Couple things--- I have a couple books downstairs--called ANTI-VIRAL HERBS. Many of these are common, and many have anti-viral properties, but no doctor will prescribe them. One good example is elderberry, but doctors will not prescribe it. Anyhow, there are many options for herbs and spices to help fight viruses. My plan is to stock up on these seeds to grow---and spices to eat---and also create an "anti-viral garden". That might sound crazy, but it just might save the life of someone--- maybe me. Viral epidemics might become a regular thing--- best to be prepared.

And speaking of being prepared. You've all seen a million pictures of people wearing cheap throw-away masks. But these--- even IF they fit perfectly--- which is hard since you are always talking---have a rating of 90-95% filtration. If you have facial hair--- just forget it--- they don't work with beards. My preference is for what's called a half-mask. This is the type that has replaceable cartridges on the right and left side. These masks have silicone rubber seal around your face, and they keep out 99.99% of the nasties. I like these numbers a LOT better! I'm familiar with these since I'm a wood-worker and use these with toxic varnishes. They cost about 25 bucks on Amazon. Ironically, they might be made in China! I'm planning to get several of these. Some do double duty, protecting you from noxious vapors AND dust..... just very handy things to have around---- even if there is no epidemic on the horizon. TIP---if you get the organic vapor type, keep them stored in plastic bags so the charcoal does not suck up normal crude in the air and get ruined.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wayne Johnson - re create an "anti-viral garden" - have you seen this http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/antiviral-herbs.html ' 20 Antibacterial and Antiviral Herbs '

• Thanks for that great link! Once I get my peppers and tomatoes started, I might start working on anti-viral herbs.... Many of these are old favorites, but I haven’t grown them for myself.

This discussion has been closed.