What are your fav peppers to grow?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I am not familiar with most of these species. I can't grow peppers outside and have limited greenhouse space so I rarely venture beyond the "Long, Slim, Red Cayenne" peppers cause I make salves with cayenne. However, I have grown jalepeno and habanero peppers in the past. One year, I grew mole peppers and they were quite prolific.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I love anaheims. I don't know if its something in our growing conditions, but every pepper we grow seems to be hotter than expected, especially as the season goes on. I don't think I've ever found a store-bought jalapeno that I couldn't handle, but when we grow them, by the end of the season they are so hot they give me stomach pain. Enter anaheims. They have a delicious taste and get just the right degree of hot- and they are great lacto-fermented. Most of them we roast and then freeze, and I have been cooking with them all fall and winter.

I also love shishito, also for lacto-fermented pickles. They look and taste like pepperonicinis! They are usually mild, but every now and then you get a hot one.

I grew one called cheyenne , that was like a sweeter version of cayenne, and I really liked it. It was still hot, it just had a red bell pepper type sweetness. I believe it was a Burpee variety.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz @silvertipgrizz I like growing Anaheim, California Wonder, and Serrano Tampequino.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey

@blevinandwomba

@Obiora E

Have you ever tried: Lipstick? Lesya? or Ajvarski? (all sweet peppers)

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I haven't tried any of those.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I have seen seeds for lipstick in garden centres (haven't tried them) but neither of the other two.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Good ole Poblano, serrano, jalapeno, bell, cherry and scotch bonnet for me... and cayenne and sweet (sometimes hot) banana pepper (those two have been grown in my family for at least 200 years.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year I grew serrano peppers and they mass produced. They were much hotter than the ones you buy in the store so no one in my family would eat them.

• Obiora E

@silvertipgrizz No I have never heard of them before.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

Pimento peppers and any of the small/mini sweet peppers. Some look just like hot peppers but only maybe one in a hundred are hot, so your friends or coworkers will be shocked seeing you munching on them as a snack since they will assume they are hot

• silvertipgrizz

Pablano, marconi esp the purple, but going to plant the red marconi this year. also the lipstick outstanding flavor.

• silvertipgrizz

@Obiora E the lesya and ajvarski will be new for my garden this year so I will rate them as soon as I get to taste them.

• Obiora E

@silvertipgrizz Sounds good.