Calling all perfumers

blevinandwomba
blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Hobbies: Indoor & Outdoor

I'm defining perfume as products you are wearing primarily because you like the smell, rather than for medicinal benefits. Obviously products can be perfume and therapeutic, but I'm wondering who has blended essential oils and such to get scents that they like.

I make solid perfume, oil based, and alcohol based. For solid perfume I add essential oils to a solid lotion or salves type base, oil based I add essential oils to jojoba, coconut, etc. For the alcohol based, I actually used extracts(vanilla, lemon, or almond) and added essential oils. I've also made scented powders.

So, who besides me makes perfume?

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't yet, but think I might like to give it a try. Do you have a good book to suggest?

• I do. I used to have a small aromatherapy business so still have lots of oils. I haven't made any recently though but I have probably 100 different blends both medicinal and just smell good ones lol. One of these days maybe I'll do an e-book with some of my most popular blends. I also did custom scents/perfumes for a few customers. I use essential oils every day in one way or another. I make most of my own skin care products as well. Just cannot imagine a life without essential oils 😁

• blevinandwomba

@Mary Linda Bittle Not a book, but this is a very helpful article. https://www.aromaweb.com/articles/aromaticblending.asp

Actually the whole site is pretty nifty.

• blevinandwomba

Oooh, @seeker.nancy , can I pick your brain? Have any ideas for a good top note for a cardomon-vanilla-amyris blend? I don't want to use orange because I'm afraid of smelling like a creamsicle.

• Lol sure @blevinandwomba . Let's see...definitely needs a top note and I would shore up the middle notes as well. Maybe a bit of clary sage and perhaps some bergamot? That is a sweet blend with the cardomon-vanill-amyris so I like to balance it with some green and citrus. Orange would be too much, lol, you are right about that. But in the end it's about what type of scents you enjoy most. As an alternative you could go more to a woody scent with it by using some cedarwood topped with a bit of juniper or cypress. Let me know what you think and how they turn out if you try them!

• RhondaBusby
    RhondaBusby Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

I make alot of skin care products, but haven't branched out to solid perfume yet. It's on my list! I usually just use bergamot/lemon EO with an oil or jasmine oil. :)