New (to me) greens I'm trying this year

seeker.nancy - Central Texas
seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Vegetables

I love greens, lol, but wanted to try some new ones in addition to the lettuces, Swiss chard, arugula, beet greens. I just planted some Orach and some Tatsoi from Baker Creek. I watched a video and the man (who's name I of course cannot remember now) said the Orach was very good. The Tatsoi looked too good not to try. I love their catalog! Anyway, here is the descriptor from their online store https://www.rareseeds.com/tatsoi-green

"(B. rapa) Tatsoi is nicknamed Vitamin Green, and rightfully so. This gourmet green is known as one of the richest sources of vitamin C and it is replete with other incredible vitamins, minerals, and health-promoting compounds! Its glossy and tender leaves pack 2 times as much vitamin C as that of an orange and twice as much calcium as an equal serving of milk! Tatsoi also boasts glucosinolates (which science shows are converted to cancer fighting compounds in the body) and carotenoids, which promote eye health. You won’t have to bargain with your kids to get them to eat this veggie. It’s super sweet and easy to love, with a mild and refreshing flavor. The low-growing rosettes are comprised of tiny, glossy spoon-shaped leaves that boast crisp and juicy mouth-feel."

Has anyone tried either of these?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I have never grown these but my neighbour has grown Orach and has given me some. Nice veg. I had already planned to grow some myself this summer. I will have to try some of the Tatsoi this year. Sounds yummy. Have you included mustard greens in your mix? One of the blog posts on TNG is about mustard greens with what looks like a very good mustard seed recipe.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't it funny how many plants and vegetables we have never heard of?

Growing up, we had white potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, green beans, green peas, beets, and iceberg lettuce. I was in my 20s before I ate Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, or even broccoli. I love trying new things today!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

The big surprise for me was radish greens. A Japanese lady told me that she didn't understand why Americans only eat the roots. So, I gave them a try and, wow! There is a lot of variation in flavor depending on variety and when they were harvested, but my first bunch tasted like Oysters Rockefeller cooked with just a little olive oil and salt! What I usually do now is just grab a bunch of radishes with the tops on, chop up the roots and stems and toss everything in a pan with some salt and oil. The cooked roots are excellent, too!

• @judsoncarroll4 radish greens are amazing. You can make great pesto out of them too. The same is true for carrot greens. They are edible too and make great pesto.

I am trying my hands on mini bok Choi this year. Have been growing Asia green mixture quite some time already and find it is a very good winter green but going to seed fast once the days are longer.

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

The tatsoi looks really good! I need to try that. One year we had SO many radishes that I had to come up with some way to eat them all. That's when I tried sauteing radish roots & greens. It's very good!

• @torey I haven't eaten Mustard greens in years lol. I should try to squeeze some in somewhere. It's nice to have some variations in either salads, smoothies or cooked greens, thanks!

@Mary Linda Bittle yes it's awesome to have so many choices. So many people don't get past green beans, potatoes and corn, with the occasional salads lol.

@judsoncarroll4 I did eat radish greens when I was still on the farm. They were so beautiful one year and so I just had to try them. As long as the weather is cool they don't get that "hot" taste. The beet plant I'm harvesting occasional leaves from is literally from last year's planting.

@Jens I don't remember for sure but I think I saw them in the Baker Seed catalog. They have quite a selection of things.

@figsagee I'm looking forward to the tatsoi lol. Once I stopped growing what I thought my adult kids would like and just started growing for myself it has really simplified things lol.

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

@Jens we just tried carrots greens this year - we ended up dehydrating them and now we throw them in soups and stews like parsley - so good!!!

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 Not only are they edible, but the leaves of all brassicas are also edible. I eat the greens/tops of radishes, carrots (made a chimichurri with it last year that was really good), turnips, beets, and more. Sometimes i sautee them together with Lacinato Dinosaur Kale, Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, dandelion greens, and more.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I love a mix of turnip greens and radish greens cooked with the drippings from a butter roasted chicken. The salty buttery combination with the bitterness from the greens is unbeatable. I tried carrot greens, and yeah, you can eat them, but they aren't my favorite. I must be hungry right now...