Menopause...what do YOU take?

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
edited November 2020 in Women's Health

I have a friend who is having some issues with a preformulated mix of herbs. You can get this brand almost everywhere. This is from an herbalist. I feel like it was a bit of a copout on his part. I would hope that if I pay big money to an herbalist, that I would get a more personalized result.

I am just curious what women here might be taking and dose. I will be checking out each of these herbs in this mix and seeing what suggestions I can make.

I will most likely post a little more here when I have more time.

Tagged:

Comments

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

I took vitex (Vitex angus-castus) for awhile. It was somewhat helpful. I really think my hot flashes were instigated by blood sugar issues more than anything. Once I cut out all snacking, my hot flashes pretty much vanished. I had a friend who was helped by doing that as well.

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

My biggest difficulty is inconsistent sleep.

It takes me hours and hours to go to sleep. Then when and if I do, I wake up anyway within a couple of hours and then often I never get back to sleep again. So it's just get up and do something.

I've tried many solutions over the decades but none of them really helped until I tried the Nature's Bounty Complete Menopause Support Complex formula. It has just a couple of fillers in there I wish they could get rid of but they are all there for shelf life.

It comes in an AM and PM formula in the same package. It has all the same standard formulas often used by other companies but somehow their mix has more dependable results, especially the PM formula. It includes melatonin which truly does help my sleep, not much, but enough that I am not dragging thru life anymore each day. Without it, I'm back to being awake all night long again or I'll get my usual 1 or 2 hours of rest.

I've mentioned it to several other people before and each of them have stated it has helped them also.

Don't expect immediate results. It takes a while for your body to build up an abundance of the ingredients so that you will start to notice favorable results.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Thank you so far for the advice above.

I have taken vitex tincture in the past and it did help me. I stopped taking it when I read something about it possibly making a person gain weight. I don't need that! Is that even true? I may start taking it again anyway for a time, but was a bit wary of that claim.

@herbantherapy What you are saying makes a lot of sense. It agrees with what I have learned.

How are you taking the Rosemary (tea/tincture/other)? I would be very interested to know for myself. Maybe it could help me be more consistent. Forgetfulness certainly contributes to lack of consistency.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@laurie I’m taking a dropper of tincture in the am and a cup of fresh rosemary tea/infusion in the evening.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

@Laurie - Interesting is that women around the world (Europeans & Japanese, etc.) do not have near any American menopause troubles. https://mysecondspring.ie/blog/france-the-land-that-menopause-forgot

Other than the above worthy mention - I can't be of any help with this, as I do not have menopause symptoms. - Like a baby I fall asleep instantly, & rarely do I wake up once during each 6+ hour night. Energy level is about as high too during day, & with endless fascinating activities to do & learn, any antidepressants & cramps is pffft, not worth any consideration. -

Did you read where I told @shllnzl - that at 67 she was my little sister, lol -- I posted this in https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/comment/848884#Comment_848884 where I shared the 10+ Flexibility exercises I continue.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@rainbow That is interesting.

If she is your little sister, then I am your baby sister. Haha

• bkpelfrey
    bkpelfrey Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

I am so glad to hear others experiencing the same things as me. I know for our over all health we shouldn't eat processed sugars but I have never heard or thought of the processed sugars for hot flashes. I will definitely be getting on board with this. Thanks for all the great information.

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

I've had a few hot flashes but not to the point that I felt I needed to take anything for them. Probably less than 100 in the four years they've been around. However, I am watching and taking notes in case I need it in the future.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@Laurie I received some Black Cohosh seeds last year, and I have also read in some of my herb books that it is one of the best go to herbs for helping women to deal with menopause. It, Black Cohosh, however, is becoming an endangered plant, but the United Plant Savers and others are looking for growers to get seeds and grow them to insure there are some for future generations.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

Liver health is really important in menopause and so anything which stresses the liver (e.g. alcohol, sugar) will tend to make hot flashes worse. I find that having a fairly cold room at night definitely helps with the sleep - a bit hard at the moment as we are in the middle of summer :( but I try and cool the bedroom down as much as possible prior to bedtime.

• bkpelfrey
    bkpelfrey Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any help with weight gain and menopause? The weight gain and. hot flashes are killing me. Does the black cohosh help?

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

At 57, I have been experiencing menopause for 10yrs. I have just discovered a product that provides vitamins and minerals, greens and superfoods, herbs and proteins, antioxidants, prebiotics and digestive enzymes. Comes in a powered form, 2 heaped teaspoons a day in either water, smoothie etc. I believe it has really helped my menopause symptoms, especially mood swings and hot flushes. I feel so good that I'm almost dangerous! Herbs include siberian ginseng, ashwaganda, gotu kola.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

Well this is a really great topic. I started menopause at 35, with insomnia, then breakthrough bleeding at which time they wanted to keep biopsying me which I would not have any part in it. I'm in the medical field and at this time in my life I was unaware of the natural world. I wish I knew then what I know now. I agree wholeheartedly with @herbantherapy You really have to know the person and figure out how the hormone changes are effecting them personally. I am cold all the time, my whole life so when I got flashes, it was a bit of a freeing feeling for me, felt kinda great actually, I bet you never thought you would hear anyone say that. Anyway, I wish I could go back in time because the bleeding became unbearable for me, I was working in surgery at the time and would be in the middle of sterile procedure Goenedcand gloved and have terrible hemorrhage (sorry if TMI) with no warning... very embarrassing. I had an ablation. it worked very well, but after 9 or 10 years out of no where I had 2 incidences of bleeding. Due to scar tissue they were unable to even get another biopsy under anesthesia. My options were do nothing or hysterectomy "in case" it was cancer. I wish I could go back, not do the ablation and try naturally healing my body and assisting it through the season or reversing whatever caused such an early change of life....Anyway I decided to take my chances and not do a hysterectomy. I'm still here 4 years later so I'm thinking I'm good. some of my challenges and how I've dealt with them

Hot flashes: Enjoyed the ride ;-)

Sleep issues: tincture of kava, skullcap, lavender, hops, valerian, passion flower. I only use at times of real sleep issues. I put it together based on my own issues. Kava is strong, Lavender is great, Hops (wouldn't use for people with depression issues) but relaxing, Valerian good for people who tend to be cold like me but I wouldn't necessarily use for warm or sweatier constitutions , I've heard it could have opposite effect on such people (need to use on the regular to gain best effect), passion flower calming. Sometimes I use some of these in a tea for a quick knock out.

Overall: I use Ashwaganda daily 1 capusule in AM and one in PM, just to regulate my mood and for overall goodness but found that if I don't take it my heart palpitations I had came back, which was an unexpected effect, I didn't make the connection with the palpitations but sure noticed when they came back when I hadn't made my capsules. I got right back into making them and for sure, palpitations went away.

Depression: Niacin I take about 1000 mg per day, 500 in AM and 500 in PM for depression. Now I have never been a depressed person. I've had life crisis that brought on a depressed states but situation-ally temporary, not like the kind that I get now. I read that the founder of AA once he got sober was left with his depression and had to find a way through that. He was put on Niacin and this helped his depression. I thought well that is an easy try, and it definitely worked for me. I have heard that maybe it is unwise to take Niacin long term, well, I don't like how I feel when I don't take it so I'll leave that for another day of research.

I have heard that Black Cohash is good for hot flashes, but it is endangered, I've never personally tried it.

I also incorporate Red Raspberry leaf in a tea infusion with other better tasting herbs. Just because it’s good for uterine tone/health at all stages of life.

for the” special” times with the one you love that becomes difficult... I made an essential oil recipe with jojoba oil 2 oz with 3 drops of each geraniums EO, lavender EO, Roman chamomile EO, and ylang ylang.

cannot wait to hear more about this topic from everyone!

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K and @herbantherapy taking Ashwaganda and cinnamon seem to be most used to help with peri menopausal symptoms as well as heavy bleeding. I prefer using herbs and spices.

• LaurieLovesLearning

I am learning a lot here. I am so glad that I asked the original question.

It is so good go help each other & share experiences. Keep on! 😄

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@teachercaryn yes the herb Ashwaganda is used for heavy bleeding which i understand came into me with peri menopause. It is also a mood stabilizer which is even more important to my husband😉.

Cinnamon is a spice that helps regulate hormones which is something many women continue needing help with after entering menopause.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Well, this lends nicely to this recipe that made its way into my inbox just a short while ago.

I am having some now (- ashwagandha). I guess that I will now have to get some powder. I keep forgetting to take my tincture (combo of rhodiola, holy basil, ashwagandha, eleuthero, milky oat seed, schisandra). It says to take it on an empty stomach...but then I don't remember.

My question is, for drinks such as this, do you have to choke down the undissolved powders that settle? That can get pretty nasty at the end and ruins any lovely feel you get from drinking the liquid part.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

@Laurie great recipe I’m going to try it this weekend! I’m thinking that you could simmer.. then strain, then cool and add honey.. hopefully the goodness comes out when you simmer it

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@Laurie Because you are decocting this rather than just steeping, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you have most of the goodness out of the powders and don't need to swallow that last bit. You could always simmer for a few minutes longer (up to 15 minutes) to make sure you are getting all the goodness but because the ingredients are already powdered the length of time given in the recipe should be enough.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited February 2020

@torey This is great information! I don't usually swallow the used powders as it is such a bad experience, but wondered if I might be missing something. Now I can strain & not feel guilty! 🙌

• Alison
    Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

This is a great topic!

I had a radical hysterectomy when I was 29 due to major health issues. As others have mentioned, I wish I had of been aware of alternative/ natural therapies to at least try back then as a first option.

That being said, I use Melatonin to help me sleep. I also use some Valerian and sometimes use a combo herb mix with passion flower and camomile instead as I find if I take one too long it doesn't work as well. If you need to go to sleep quickly then the Bach Rescue Remedy sleep spray under the tongue is amazing! I find the Melatonin / Valerian etc helps me stay asleep while the Bach Rescue Remedy helps me get to sleep straight away.

I have had HUGE issues with hot flushes that wake me up multiple times a night since the surgery. The dead of winter is the only time it isn't a huge issue. I'm now at an age when I'd likely normally be starting menopause naturally, so I've endured them a long time.

I take evening primrose oil 2 capsules once a day to help with basic mood etc and I take a Pink Clover tincture that I buy...try as I might I simply can't grow it here....my ducks and goats will find any I have managed to grow and it's not worked well in a pot. I've found it growing wild but have seen another local lady walking past the area rather regularly thus I think that's why the flower heads aren't generally there (:

The Pink Clover tincture is the BEST FAST hot flush relief I've had. Two droppers twice a day. Hot flushes have never gone away for me, but the Pink Clover means I generally wake briefly now only a couple of times and I can wake up and feel fairly well rested.

I don't drink alcohol and apart from a little organic coconut sugar in the Kombutcha I make I don't have refined sugar. I think it's just the fact I don't have ovaries.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I have been blessed with almost no menopause symptoms. My mother and sister both had bad problems when they hit that phase. My two daughters are praying they take after me.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Alison Have you tried chaste tree (Vitex) tincture for hot flashes?

• lbrtbl14
    lbrtbl14 Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

When I was in peri-menopause, I came across this article and made this blend, using it as a tincture. It really seemed to help with the anxiety I was having associated with menopause: https://frugallysustainable.com/balance-hormones-naturally-a-womens-hormone-balancing-herbal-remedy/

• Iris Weaver
    Iris Weaver Posts: 32 ✭✭✭

For all of you who would like to use black cohosh--yes, it is an endangered herb, but very easy to grow in your shady garden. You can find resources for the seeds or plants, and for people growing it so that you can use the roots for medicine. There are also people making medicine from the cultivated roots.

• Lorraine
    Lorraine Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

Removing the metal box spring mattress and all electrical items, replacing with a natural rubber mattress made a big difference. Testing on the house showed dirty electricity, so shutting off current to the bedroom wise to do. Also noted that any alcohol would make the hot flashes worse.

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

This is quite the interesting thread, wish I'd have seen this years ago. I have no recommendations, but will say this. I went thru peri/menopause about ten years ago. Hot flashes were bad. But I rarely have them anymore. Once in a blue moon. I thought it was wierd I had it happen in my forties, but I blame that on hormonal contraceptive use when I was younger. A thought for our younger members to consider.

• I had a hysterectomy at 29 due to endometriosis + PCOS. At that time I had never heard of some of the natural therapies. Fast forward many years later and I am taking 10mg of DHEA plus one capsule of New Chapter Estrotone twice a day. This has worked for the most part. I also listen to Whole Tones 2 Sleep every night to aid with those issues.

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Wow great information. I eat Mostly a plant based sugar free diet which has taken my symptoms away. Sleep issues I do have but I think it’s because I was a mom and now grandma so we have to sleep lightly - something I’m pondering. I take l-theanine at night if my brain won’t shut of. Amazing stuff. I take during the day also for high anxiety. It’s a chill pill, no side effects and can take long term. I’m blessed to be a certified aromatherapist so I get to my own blends as I need them. I’m Also going into herbs. Skullcap has been in a lot of herb formulas that I’ve taken. I’ll be studying that one further. I’m finding meditation is helping me to be grounded and be grateful for making it this far.