What's your favourite potato recipe.

JodieDownUnder
JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin
edited November 2020 in General Recipes

I've got 1 that I'd like to share. Potato salad with spicy lemon & parmesan mayo. Serves 6 . 1kg baby potatoes, juice of 2 lemons, 2tbls preserved lemon finely chopped, 1/3 cup olive oil, 2/3 cup grated parmesan, good handful finely chopped parsley, 5 jalapenos finely chopped, 150g thinly sliced feta and 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber. Directions, boil potatoes, drain and cool. While potatoes are boiling, place lemon juice, preserved lemon, oil and parmesan in blender, whiz until thick and emulsified. Transfer to bowl and stir in parsley and jalapenos, then add potatoes. Place fetta on serving plate/bowl, top with potato mixture, cucumbers and extra parsley. This is now my fav potato salad recipe.

I also use sliced potato sometimes in lasagna and moussaka instead of pasta sheets.

Comments

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

I am waiting for my nettles to come up so I can make potato soup with nettles. Here's how to make it:

Saute some chopped onion with some duck bacon, cut up into small pieces. Yes, duck bacon. You don't know what you've been missing. 😀 I suppose regular bacon would work. While that's cooking, boil cubed potatoes in good chicken or duck broth. At the end, mix the potatoes in broth with the onion/bacon mixture and chopped, fresh nettles. The nettles cook down a lot, so use a good amount. The perfect dish for the end of winter/ earliest breath of spring!

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never met a potato recipe that I didn't like! There's that scene in Forest Gump about all the ways to enjoy shrimp. I feel that way about potatoes. Baked, boiled, mashed, french fried, scalloped, hash browns...

@Gail H I love potato soup with nettles! I make it every spring. I've never added bacon, but that sounds great. I just cook my potatoes in broth, with onion and celery, add the nettles when it's nearly done, then throw in a big hunk of butter and half and half to suit me.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

I couldn't pick just one! Mashed Potatoes, Potato Salad, Pierogis, Potato Soup, Fries, Hashed Browns....

But, I can pick one or two recipes which kind of indicate how I do things...

Mashed

Trim your potatoes, do not peel... just take off eyes and bad spots

Cut into rough chunks

Boil in salted water with a few cloves of garlic (unpeeled, as well)

Remove when done, but not water logged.

Drain off the water

Squeeze the garlic out of the skins when cool enough to touch - it slips right out

Add about a stick of (real) butter to a pound of cooked potatoes

Mash

Add milk, sour cream, grated cheese, chopped, pan fried bacon with bacon grease, chives and parsley

Stir together, adding milk to the right consistency

Put in a casserole dish and top with more cheese - brown under the broiler

Cook meat in a pan with a little fat. mushrooms and onions... remove... ad more fat and some flour... make a roux... add broth or stock and make a good brown gravy, with plenty of black pepper.

Plate your mashed potatoes, cover in gravy until they are swimming in it, put your meat and mushrooms to the side....

ENJOY!!!!

• judsoncarroll4

SOUP

Chop and cook a pound of bacon in a pot.

Add a pound of butter.

Add onions (plural) peeled and chopped

...celery, especially the tops and roots... but definitely the stalks

...leeks

… any other aliums you have

… par boiled, un peeled but trimmed potatoes

Chicken broth

Caraway seeds

Parsley

tarragon or fennel (or both)

Chives

Heavy Cream

Buttermilk

Salt and pepper

Mash it all together

• judsoncarroll4

Legit baked potatoes.

A lot of times when someone visits a real restaurant - a place where actual human beings turn un-processed ingredients into good food - they end up commenting not so much on the fancy dish, but on the simple thing they may have made at home, and have had many times in Sysco serviced establishments ( re-processed frozen "food"). Often, people will say, "I couldn't believe the baked potato was so good... I've never had a baked potato like that!"

… well, here is the secret..

Get a good baking potato... russet, perhaps... but any large, starchy, relatively blemish free potato. Wash it and scrub it, but do NOTHING more!

Oil it. Just rub on it with your hands....not too much.

Salt it... again, rub with your hands.

Do not poke holes in it.

Put the potato(s) directly on the rack of your pre-heated oven. No pan, and absolutely no foil. You want hot, dry air to touch the potato on all sides.

Roast the potato at around 400 degrees F for about an hour.

When it is done, your nose will tell you and it will dent if you poke it with a finger.

To serve, I like to plate while still fire hot! With a fork, perforate the top of the potato in a line... then kind of whack each end with the heels of your hands. If it is cooler, you can press it in from either side with your fingers. But, it will only take a try or two to get a beautiful, restaurant presentation of a perfectly opened potato "jacket", so that the inside puffs up all nice and fluffy.

Butter... and add a little mayo for the "restaurant taste"... sour cream and chives... or stuff and pop it back under the broiler to brown.

If done right, the potato skin should be heavenly - crisp, roasted, browned, salted... like the world's best, most earthy potato chip in flavor (though not brittle like a chip).

Again, never cook your potato in foil. This caught on because the Howard Johnson chain wrapped their cooked potatoes in foil and re-heated them before serving. Some nutritionists say that bad bacteria can grow in foil wrapped potatoes... don't do it.

But, my hero, George Leonard Herter, recommended skewering the potato with clean, 9 inch long nail before roasting on live coals.... try it and let me know how it works!

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

I just discovered a yummy sort of loaded baked potato crock pot soup that I semi veganized:

2 bags of organic hash browns (or you could par boil and grate fresh...)

2 8 oz blocks organic cream cheese

I made vegan cream of chicken soup https://www.plantpowercouple.com/recipes/vegan-condensed-cream-chicken-soup/ but I also added about 2 Tbls of nutritional yeast to this recipe or you can just use 2 cans cream of chicken soup

32 oz of veggie broth (or chicken) or I use 32 oz of water with veggie bouillon

1 onion

3 large cloves garlic

olive oil

salt to taste

pepper to taste

Directions: Grill onions and garlic, add all ingredients to slow cooker for 5 hours. when done check for seasoning add more if needed. top with green onions, cheese whatever you like!

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Do you know the leftover baked potato trick? The texture changes after its chilled- not so great to reheat as is, but it grates on a box grater beautifully. Then you can make hashbrown casserole- woohoo! Actually, though I love it, I haven't made it in years. Then last couple years I have been trying out different diets, and potatoes and dairy went out the window for the most part. Now potatoes are back, and I know I could make it without dairy, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Here is one version I used to make.

Cheeseburger Hashbrown Casserole(gluten free) my original recipe. Muy bueno.

5-6 medium potatoes, baked the day before and chilled

1 lb ground beef

1 medium onion

1 small green pepper

8 oz. medium cheddar cheese

1 c. sour cream

1 c. milk

1-2 tsp. yellow mustard

2 tsp. soy sauce(gluten free)

Get out two casserole dishes. Preheat oven to 350. Finely dice onion and pepper. Fry the beef, onion, and soy sauce together until beef is done, then add green pepper and fry a few more minutes. While beef fries, grate cheddar and put into one of the casserole dishes. Peel off most of the potato peels. Grate potatoes, and stir into the cheddar. Divide cheddar and potato mixture between dishes. Spoon beef into both dishes. Mix sour cream, mustard, and milk together. Pour over both dishes, and stir until blended. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve.

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

Fried potatoes are my favorite potato. A little butter, salt and pepper, maybe a bit of green onion, and just a smidge of bacon grease.

• Helen South Australia
    Helen South Australia Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

My favourite potato recipe....

Peel and slice the potato into rounds. Brush with olive oil and cook in the oven the same way you would cook roast potatoes. While cooking, cut some tomato, finely chop a garlic clove or two, add some pine nuts to taste, some black cracked pepper and a finely chopped spring onion or 1/2 inch piece of leek. Mix all of these ingredients in a small bowl, with a splash of balsamic vinegar. Allow to stand for 20 minutes while the potato slices cook.

Take the potato slices out of the over, bread the tomato based mixture on each round, then return to the oven for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

I've also added a sprinkling of fresh parmesan on top, and this is really tasty if you eat cheese.

• ieducate2008
    ieducate2008 Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

I enjoy cooking potatoes on the grill. I put sliced potatoes in some foil. I add sliced onions, a little garlic, and some fresh dill. I add a very little olive oil and water so that the potatoes will steam. I close the foil and put the potatoes on the grill. I use a pellet grill at 325. I cook them for 45 minutes to an hour. They come out really yummy. When they're done, you can add some cheese or butter. I'm making myself hungry!