Face Cream from Lard or Tallow?

Megan Venturella
Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine has a nickel allergy and can't use nut or seed oils on her skin without itching unbearably. She has been using petroleum oil based products to prevent the itch. I thought maybe a lard or tallow based product would work for her, but I've never done it myself. Does anyone here have any experience with this or a recipe they would recommend? Thanks

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

You can make any type of salve with lard where you are using the heated infusion method. Some of the older recipes use lard. I have done this in the past but have never made a lotion with it. It certainly wouldn't work for the cold infused salves. I don't think tallow would work well but I have never used it so I may be off base.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

I would guess you could use tallow as well as lard, I have read of using lard, but not tallow. Lard would make a better base I think as it tends to be cleaner. I'm sorry I can't remember the site I read about using it, but if I find it, I will let you know :)

• I make my own tallow balm and its the best thing I've ever used on my skin! I mix tallow with olive oil, frankincense oil and myrrh oil, works a treat!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@Megan Venturella Following is a link to Susan M. Parker's website. She is very knowledgeable about oils of all kinds. You can download her free Carrier Oil e-book (under Free Resources). There are a few oils that are pressed from the flesh of fruits instead of the seeds (including olive and avocado). https://susanmparker.com/#

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Tallow makes a great skin cream. I have rendered it myself from beef fat, and the tallow, just by itself, is terrific on my skin and dry hands.

• DebiB
    DebiB Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

I’ll add that lard and tallow are wonderful for making soap also. The difference I’ve noticed so far in experimenting with them is lard makes a white bar of soap and tallow makes a lightly yellow bar of soap that smells a little of tallow. Both are supposed to be very gentle on the skin.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

@DebiB I'll have to try the soap this year too. I was just reading about soap on another post. I think I'd like to try it this year!