plastic chicken coop

Gail H
Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have experience with plastic chicken coops? I'm not a fan of plastic, but the one I've looked at has really good reviews. It looks like it's made out of the same plastic as those little pink playhouses.

One of the reasons I'm considering going with plastic (besides the great aesthetics- ha!) is that it's supposed to be quite light. I currently have a wooden coop, but it's a bear to move and is in need of more repair than I'm capable of.

Another big selling point is that it's weather proof. I've seen those little playhouses after a year or two in the sun and the plastic seems to degrade, so I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Comments

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

@Gail H Hi, I was wondering if you had any specific one in mind? I have seen several advertised. Are you needing something to move around like a chicken tractor or are you going to have a yard of some kind for the chickens? I ask because we have made a number of hoop houses for our birds and they are light and easy to move around like a tractor and also cheaper to build than the plastic ones I have seen are to buy. Any way I hope someone has some experience with them and can give you an answer.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@Gail H Have you thought about attaching a set of wheels on one end of your existing coop? Makes it easier for the flock to move about the area. In my own personal opinion,I’ve got to decline on the plastic one due to possible hazards it may cause the flock, perhaps by pecking at the plastic, and someday a small piece may get ingested by accident or they get a piece stuck in the foot. I’d stick with the wooden one.