North American Bees

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great resource. There is also a free app for your phone called Wild Bee ID (sorry I don't remember which website it came from.)

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl

I'll look for the app.

If you enjoy learning about and looking at bees you might want to have look at 'Crown Bees' website. If you are not familiar with them, the sell both the spring and summer Mason Bees. They have a buy back program so they always have bees for others wanting/needing to purchase some for themselves and a little extra money for the people selling back some of their Mason bee population.

They have a weekly, 10 weeks if I remember correctly, email explaining the life and habits of the bees and about the habitat they use, and that Crown bee has available for sale if one does not have the time to do for themselves.

Worth signing up for the educational emails alone.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@shllnzl and @silvertipgrizz

This is the link to the wild bee identification. https://www.wildbeeid.org/bees You can access the app from the tabs on this page.

• silvertipgrizz

@torey This will be great to have. Many times when I'm outside I see bees I don't recognize, scarry ones, like the bigger bee that I was not sure whether it might have even been a hornet, with a red hot back segment and long black antennae???

Thanks for posting that! And thanks to @shllnzl for bringing it up.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I really enjoyed that link! Thanks a lot.

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the link @silvertipgrizz , we put on bee pollinator talk all year for our county residents and local schools. Always looking for more pictures for our power point presentations. Kids love the information and hand outs they walk away with. Again thanks for the info.

• DebiB
    DebiB Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the link, this is good info.

• silvertipgrizz

@VickiP

@EarlKelly

@DebiB

You are most certainly welcome.

Don't forget to check out the website 'Crown Bees' for a bunch of great info on Mason Bees, with email lessons when you sign up for them, I thnk they run about 10 weeks, one lesson per week been a while since I watched them. The have some nice supplies, nice Mason bee pictures etc.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz Thank you for sharing. I added a Mason bee hive to our farm in 2013 or 2014.

• silvertipgrizz

@Obiora E I sure love the sweet little spring bees.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz I do too. They come out early and do the important pollinating work of early Spring flowers.