Perpetual Spinach

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@silvertipgrizz Would love to have year round greens but they would be well frozen under 2 feet of snow in my garden right now. :) I might recommend them to my sister-in-law who lives in the much milder coastal Pacific Northwest.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I grew perpetual spinach last year and love love LOVE it!!!! Birds and aphids decimate any spinach I try to grow, but the perpetual spinach did really well.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey I first saw this from a youtuber who lives north of Okla and I think he said it comes back every year even when you think it won't.

I 'll be doing more research on it as it is new to me but I have seeds to start, starting tomorrow so will be awhile and I will check back in with any new info.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I have not heard of perpetual spinach before, but noted it includes Swiss chard and I have grown that year round. I would be very interested in trying this or any lettuce that can survive my summers.

• silvertipgrizz

@gardneto76

@torey

Here is a short baker creek seed vid on heat loving greens, and apparently perpetual spinach is a heat lover...

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@silvertipgrizz Thanks for posting this video. I am familiar with a few of these. I think I will add purslane to my order this year and I had planned on ordering some orach. A neighbour grew some last year. However, heat tolerance is not the issue in my area. My issue is not having a long enough season for all the things I would like to grow. Seed catalogues are just so tempting, I usually wind up ordering at least one or two items that are borderline hardy here, just because I have been lured by lovely pics or descriptions.

• silvertipgrizz

@torey One of my temptations was and is the thai red roselle. Even though there is not enough time for them to put on the caylx, the mini tree is so stunningly beautiful I still love growing it. Mark in 'Self Sufficient Me' from Australia grows them and makes jam and tea from them and he shows you how. At some point I hope to get more to fruition during a long summer when I get them planted on time, to bring them in and over winter the lovely plants and hope that over the course of a long summer I might get enough caylx to get to taste the tea and jam.

The baker creek catalogue tempted me so bad that I added one last tomato seed to my list. It is huge and copper colored on the outside. Can't wait to taste them. I only have enough room for 32 tomato plants and a few peppers squished in between with basil as well but this one I just had to try.

I hope your growing season is the best, mine too and al here in our forum!!!

• Leediafastje
    Leediafastje Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing. I must try some.

• silvertipgrizz

@Leediafastje You're welcome!

• I had not heard of perpetual spinach either and guess I overlooked in the Baker Creek catalog. I'm trying orach and tatsoi from them this year and they have popped their heads up. Hopefully the hard freeze last night did not get them but I had them covered already the night before and am keeping it on one more night just to be sure. I grow Swiss chard and what I have now is 3 years old lol. I let part of it die last fall because it was taking over the raised bed in that area. I did plant some in another area about a week ago but it's not up yet. Neither are the two types of collards. The beets or at least one of the two varieties are up. I do have one beet left from last year that I just have kept for the greens. No idea what is below the surface lol.

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

@torey i can send you all the purselane you want lol. it grows every where you can even grow it as a house plant just like plantain, i did both this year.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz thanks for posting! I have tried many of these and bought other varieties of many of the plants mentioned after looking to see which ones were heat tolerant in the catalog. I wish I would have seen this prior to placing my order weeks ago. One I added this year is Chinese Multicolor Spinach Amaranth. When I tried the Red Malabar I got tons of seeds but not many leaves. I am guessing it needed more water. I have also grown Hibiscus Sabdariffa and believe I have several seeds to replant it. I really like the cranberry like flavor of the tea.