What should Scott Sexton's herbalist name be? (Ask Me Anything podcast followup)

Scott Sexton
Scott Sexton Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

So many herbalists, foragers, and naturalists have fun monikers to go by. I've heard of people called Thistle, or Willowtree. I even know a lady that goes by Wildcraft. ;) At the end of the last (2.27.20) Ask Me Anything podcast, I asked what my herbalist/forager name should be. I'm hoping for some really good suggestions. (Serious or humorous.)

Can you help me out? :)

Best Answers

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    Answer βœ“

Scotty beem herbbie😁

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer βœ“

Craft of the Wild 😁

• Scott Sexton
    Answer βœ“

Anybody like any of these?

Scott The Unnamed Herbalist

The Herb-Burglar. ...because I might sometimes accidentally "borrow" seeds and cuttings.

Scotty Smilax

Weed-Eater

Skulllcap (seems fitting with the zombie theme)

Scottberry

Scott the Sage ...because it's a pun.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    Answer βœ“

I like Weed-Eater and Skullcap! Devil's Snare (Datura stramonium) could be another!!!

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    Answer βœ“

how about herbal whisperer, or herb sense ( sorry spelling escaped me, ya know like the karate kids teacher miagie was his sense )

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
    Answer βœ“

Well, you know I would head straight for the gutter and do a play on the word "Sexton". LOL

Uh, but is this PG kind of space, isn't it? LOL

Answers

• Scott Sexton

@desireet02 I love the Devil's Snare idea! Thanks! πŸ˜„

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nksunshine27 Maybe you mean "Herb Sensei?"

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited February 2020

@nksunshine27 It is spelled, Sensei. It means "teacher" in Japanese. It would be used in this way: Scott Sensei. It should be used in the dojo (practice room) with respect for knowledgeable teachers that are a minimum rank of black belt. The Japanese culture is very big on respect & politeness.

Anyone teaching in this sport/martial art who has a first degree black belt or higher (it goes up to 10th degree and takes a lifetime to achieve) can use this title. A teacher-helper beneath the blackbelt level is known by another term.

I know this as my husband & kids all are heavily into learning & competing in Judo. I am into heavily watching it, but want to try some once my husband starts his own club...if my body allows for it. I have already absorbed some understanding & movements through watching closely for very many years, but need my body to learn it too.

So then, how about Scott the Herbal Sensei or just the latter two or three words?

• Scott Sexton

@Laurie Good points. I'm not sure where my dojo would be? Outside? And I'm not sure what the herbalist or foraging equivalent to a black belt is. 🀣 It's definitely a cool name though. Just not sure that I wouldn't offend someone involved in martial arts. And when I start thinking of people I want to offend, they're hardly ever martial artists. πŸ˜…

@nksunshine27 I love the idea of being a plant whisperer, or Herbal Whisperer, as you put it. I'm going to put that one on the short list. Thanks!!!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I am not sure where my reply went, so I will repost.

@Scott Sexton I don't think you have much to worry about as long as you treated the term with respect and could have an good explanation like, "I'm a teacher of ____ who is in a life long pursuit of mastery in ____, and I wish to share my knowledge with others" or something of that sort. Sensei just means teacher. This title should be one that asks respect (from others) because of learned knowledge. The Sensei should also have a deep respect for those with higher knowledge.

Some sensitive individuals may have an issue with the term, but those would most likely have problems with anything. I think it's cool.

Oh, and your dojo is your main place of learning & practice...so outside fits. I am not sure what a black belt level is in herbalism/foraging is...I think that I would consider some of the aged greats to be higher levels. I think if you have solid knowledge, have learned from/under some of the "higher belts" & are teaching sound information, you would qualify...IMO of course!

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

@Laurie and @Scott Sexton, well if it helps, I know sensei is used for more than just martial arts teachers.

And I'll have to contradict the author on one point- under "Religious Leaders" it says that Christian in Japan do not usually use sensei for church leaders, unless it is some sort of "new" sect. Well, Baptists are hardly new(newish to Japan I guess you could argue), and I know for a fact that Baptist churches in Japan call Pastors, Sunday School teachers, etc. sensei. My sister is on staff at a Baptist Church in Japan as a Sunday School teacher/ ladies counselor, and people often call her sensei rather than san(the default respectful title like Mr./Mrs./Miss)

• Scott Sexton

@Marjory Wildcraft That would be really funny. But yeah, totally inappropriate. Could you imagine teaching a kids' herb class in some church's activity room? Hi kids, my name is Scott (CENSORED). πŸ˜‚ ...the most hilarious (and shortest) class ever.

• Scott Sexton

@blevinandwomba Wow. This is deeper than I imagined. But I love words, so I really appreciate you helping me/us gain some nuanced information on the term. Thanks! πŸ˜ƒ

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about Herb Sunsei?