Don't throw away those peels!
Before you peel any citrus fruit, wash the peel (the outsides) with soap and rinse well. Look at fruit make sure there are no cuts in the peels.
We really like navel oranges or the little cuties for this but any citrus will work.
You can eat the fruit like an apple, peel and all or as you peel it, save the peels for later.
Eat the peels before they dry or lay them up to dry and chew on the dried peels or cut into smaller pieces before you dry to add to teas, tinsures, oils you are heating. I have added dried pieces to elderberry and to blueberry syrups.
The peels are said to kill the strep viruses. When your eating them if you have a sore throat it burns like heck but the strep was gone without taking antibiotics.
This Week's Leaders
- 605 All Categories
- 21 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 25 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 202 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 377 Current Events & Breaking News
- 1K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.2K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 405 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 28 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 293 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 298 The Homestead: DIY
- 853 Personal Journals
- 77 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter