What to do with my empty dry goods containers .....

Kelley
Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in DIY Tutorials

My pantry is filled with air tight dry goods containers. I have found, though, that between bulk restocking, I accumulate multiple empty containers waiting to be refilled.

I don't have a lot of available storage space space for the 'empties'. Any ideas?

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I reuse sturdy containers for tea, crafts, garage items, etc. I add labels for identification and use the prettier ones for countertop items.

There are a lot of upcycle ideas available on www.hometalk.com and pinterest as well.

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

My husband works at a faciilty where I often swear they must drown themselves daily in coffee.

He therefore brings home all of these large and XL maxwell house, folgers etc. dried coffee grounds containers. I usually end up getting at least one or two of those containers every week (for about 3 years now).

But I never say no because they are great in the garden. I have an open shelf system for my garden supplies so I put all the stuff I use consistently in a container, mark it with a nametag and then cover the tag with clear tape. I've got things like my pruners, zip ties, binder clips, garden gloves, hand trowels, plant markers and on and on in those containers.

Then I keep a container for each of my soil amendments (azomite, epsom salts, vermiculite or perlite, worm poop etc. etc.) right there near my garden so if I need something quickly it's right in reach.

All of my homemade remedies I use for pest and disease control has their own container, well-marked so I can grab it quickly.

As you can see, there is loads of uses for those coffee containers.

Inside the garage then I do the same, All the screws of each size has their own container. Nails, brads, hooks, etc.. It is so much easier finding what you want than having to search everywhere.

Once you get started setting up your garden supplies and your garage supplies this way, life does become much easier.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

Wow, fantastic ideas - you are so well organised. Some great ideas which I'm going to pinch, thank you!

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

We use the empty coffee bins in the shop for screws and stuff. I am interested in what to do with the vfc empty containers between bulk buys.