Face Cream

RhondaBusby
RhondaBusby Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

What is ya'll favorite DIY recipe for face cream? Mine is with coconut oil, shea butter, glycerine, and EO(lavender, rose and frankencense.☺️

Comments

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I bet it smells wonderful.

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Coconut oil, aloe vera, and EOs (lavender, myrrh) rose hip oil, and carrot oil.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

@RhondaBusby and @MommaMo , would you be willing share your recipes with ratios or exact quantities, etc? This would be a fun thing to do with my daughter, but I've never made face cream before. :)

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Yes, please share! These sound lovely.

• j.grunklee726
    j.grunklee726 Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

I've added some sea buckthorne oil to mine recently. I read that it's really good for after too much sun.

• RhondaBusby
    RhondaBusby Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

Hi Merin! I create products kinda like I cook or paint-free form. A little of this and a little of that. I would have to measure next time I make to give you exact proportions. Right now, I just combine the coconut oil and shea butter til I have the consistency I like. Then I add a little glycerin and the Essential Oils that are calming to me. Right now I combine or alternate lavender/frankensence?/rose/bergamot, etc. I hope this helps. It is really fun to make products! I love it!!!

• DebiB
    DebiB Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Some good recipes listed here. I’ve found simplicity to work well for me and my skin, I use jojoba oil for my moisturizer after washing my face. I started this a few years ago after having a reaction to some new skin product I was trying. My skin became hot, red and itchy from the thing I tried and I had read that jojoba oil had healing properties so I started using it to try and calm my skin ( of course this is after thoroughly washing off what was causing the skin irritation first). Through this I found that jojoba oil does very well for my skin and I really didn’t need anything else added to it.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@DebiB I feel ya! I just use straight coconut oil and don’t feel like I want to add anything else.

• HearthForYou
    HearthForYou Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

Hi @RhondaBusby. This sounds super yummy. Do you use the thick Shea butter in this recipe? Maybe there's only one kind of Shea butter, but I have a Shea Nut oil which made me wonder if there's different kinds of Shea butter. Thanks.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I also keep it simple and when I create it's a little of this a little of that and I wonder what will happen if I add this :)

As a general rule if you want a more liquid lotion use more oil less butters and vice versa . And you can sub oils and butters that work for your skin. I think of it as playing in the kitchen. A tip I learned the hard way I always take notes as I create in case I really like how something turns out so I'm able to re-create it in the future.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@herbantherapy I have also used coconut oil by itself. It feels great on my skin. I am very allergic to Essential Oils and most hand lotions. I did experiment with coconut oil and shea butter in equal amounts. It not only smelled good but provided moisture for my face and skin.

I am very allergic to most things sold at Bath and Body Works. I try it on and go straight to the bathroom to get rid of the itchiness and redness on my skin. I have only put it on my hands.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@j.grunklee726 That is an interesting addition!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@j.grunklee726 Welcome to TGN! Sea buckthorn seed oil is a great addition to a lotion or cream for sun damage. High in Omega 3s, so excellent for the skin. Might help with wrinkles and dark spots, too.

• OhiohillsLouise
    OhiohillsLouise Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

I like almond oil with frankincense and lavender. But sometimes I change it up and use jojoba oil, coconut and others. Many oils will whip up, like making mayonnaise, and is more like a face cream. It’s fun to experiment but start slow and light with the essential oils if you are new to using them.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

What a bunch of great ideas! I like the idea of scented face cream.

I use coconut oil when I use anything, but I've found after 10 years of focusing on eating healthy fats (omega 3, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, cream) instead of refined oils that I need very little moisturizer except on my legs. Before that I needed to slather it on thick daily.

Great reminder to take notes @annbeck62 !