Fluoride info from a water plant personnel...

Comments

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

The first time I learned about fluoride being a toxic poison was back in the 1970's. The argument was always that in small amounts, it strengthened tooth enamel and did no harm to our health. However, fluoride was added to so many things that we use daily, there is no way to know exactly how much of it you are getting into your system. And being a poison, it definitely does affect our health when the limits are exceeded. Actually, I think the limits are different for each person, depending on how strong their immune system is.

I heard a story once, that a second grade class in an elementary school was being given oral fluoride tablets. (This was back when they used to do that kind of thing.) Within minutes of taking the tablets, one of the school children fell over, dead. He had died from fluoride poisoning. Not too long after that, (and I don't know how many other incidences) they discontinued administering the tablets at schools.

Regardless, I agree with the man in the video. There are better ways to accomplish what they are saying fluoride does for us. Why inflict ourselves with poison, if it isn't necessary?

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@Leslie Carl Wow! I never knew that! Maybe that is why the govt. stopped giving school kids "swish"/flouride rinse when I was in high school. Swish for so long, then spit it out... I do remember one family who refused. The boys faced some ridicule, but it was minimal because they really were nice guys. The family was from Belgium originally. There was good reason why the mom didn't allow it.

I first heard about it in an aquarium book, written in Germany. Flouride was used in concentration camps to make the students...um...camp population easily controllable (No wonder they used it in schools in more modern times.) Anyway, the book told that fact & how toxic it was to fish. I have never forgotten that.

We do not use flouride and are planning to get a filter for that & chlorine for household use. We suspect that we will see some health problems improve. We drink fresh spring water. There is no way we would drink our recently "improved" municipal water.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just turned down a flouride rinse offered at the end of my dental cleaning. Dentists are still pushing the stuff.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

This is great information, thanks for sharing. Is using baking soda good for brushing teeth?

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

We have baking soda in our tooth powder. I have heard that it can be controversial as some suspect it scratches. It is the most gentle cleanser, useful to take stains off of China.

It is regularly used in many commercial toothpastes.

I would think that powdered clay is much more likely to be abrasive.

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl Yes, and they still believe it's a good thing! Back in 1980 I took my 2 daughters to a well-known, expensive dentist and gave them explicit orders to not give my girls or myself any fluoride treatments. I was also having my teeth checked and they had us all in separate rooms, at the same time. So obviously, I couldn't watch to see what they were doing. I heard the assistant talking to the dentist outside my room and she told him I didn't want the fluoride treatments on my girls. Then, he said adamantly to her "That's ridiculous! Give it to them anyway, and just don't tell her!"

WELL!! I couldn't believe my ears! I was furious! I got up, grabbed my 2 girls, told them I heard what was said and that they were fired and I would never come there again!

@teachercaryn When I was a kid, my parents had us brush our teeth with baking soda. These days I make my own toothpaste and I still use baking soda in it.

Here's what I mix together:

1. Equal parts baking soda and coconut oil (1/4 c. is good to start with)
    2. 1 tsp sea salt
    3. 5 drops peppermint essential oil
    4. 1 tsp bentonite clay (optional)

I have a small plastic spoon I use to put it on my toothbrush.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@Leslie Carl Thanks for sharing that story. When I went to the dentist as a child, I was given fluoride treatments. Also, this recipe is easy and I have those ingredients in a cupboard.