Chickens and marigold

Jeanne Spears
Jeanne Spears Posts: 27 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Birds (Land Fowl & Waterfowl)

I recently bought a supplement called Layer Boost, which contains vitamins, electrolytes, enzymes, omega-3 and Marigold. Can someone enlighten me as to what marigold contributes to a hen's egg laying ability?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I wish labels wouldn't just say Marigold. It can lead to a lot of confusion. I'm assuming this is Calendula that they are adding to the feed. It gives a darker yolk colour because of the carotenoinds. It may help to make lower cholesterol eggs but it has been shown that eggs are not bad cholesterol anyway so that might just be a sales pitch. Don't know how much it would improves laying ability.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

The first 3 ingredients will be what boosts laying. Omega3 will give you omega3 eggs. Marigold will boost color.

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

Interesting.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited March 2020

@Jeanne Spears Feeding fermented grains will boost rate of lay and give lots of increased enzymes & nutrients. I read recently that it is also supposed to increase egg weight & shell strength.

Cayenne or crushed chilies are supposed to help as well by deworming & warming the body through increased blood circulation.

Omega 3 should be able to be increased by feeding grasses. This is how grass fed cows get a higher O3 content.