Elderberry Plant

vickeym
vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Fruit

Does anyone grow their own Elderberry? If so would anyone be willing to share or sell cuttings? Have tried several locations I found online. They either had no idea what variety they were, wanted to charge an outrageous amount or would not ship them to Alaska.

Comments

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

I am sorry to be of no direct help for you as I am over here Europe.

But are there no elderberry bushes growing wild near you? You can take cuttings from older growth that is already woody and put them in the ground. They will grow like weeds at least for me.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Apparently, the Alaska Botanical Gardens sells plants so you might be able to get a couple of plants there. https://www.alaskabg.org/

Have you tried Mile 5.2 Greenhouse in Eagle River? https://mile52.com/

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@vickeym I am in PA. Usually find wild ones. But haven’t seen them in a few years. Ordered some finally and will be here in about a month. How many were you looking for? And how much did you want to spend? Any particular variety? More than willing to see what I can come up with for you. Let me know and good luck.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

Agreed, I need to grow elderberry but not sure where to find it or how to plant or do whatever with clippings.

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

I want to pull out my ornamental bushes in front of my house and put in elderberries. The ones ihave seen online are $15-25 for a 1 quart potted plant.

• vickeym

Unfortunately the black elderberry does not grow wild in Alaska. I will have to check out the botanical Gardens, did not know they offered it. The Mile 5.2 Greenhouse has contact info on their page. Sent them messages on more than one occasion to see if they sold the black elderberry and have never recieved any responses. Thought I would try again as we get closer to spring here. I did find some reasonably priced ones online, but they either would not ship to Alaska or the shipping rate was extreme. The plants are either very expensive or they charge extreme shipping costs. Well above what normal plants ship for. Saw someone selling the berries on Amazon recently for $50 for an 8 ounce package. Since I need at least 2 varieties for good pollination I would be looking for at least four. Would like more will take what I can get. Found a place with cutting in mixed varieties but they are sold out for 2020. Looks like everyone is looking for them. Thank you all for your advice.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@vickeym I sell wild Elderberry cuttings but am sold out for the year. I harvested them in the Fall and sold my last ones in February (they are $2/cutting). I can dig up some baby seedlings. I sold bare root seedlings last year for $10 (most are 2-4' tall).

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

Awww @vickeym I wish I was closer so could send you some but I'm guessing postage from NZ to Alaska would be really prohibitive! Best of luck with your search

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

I'm going out to see if i can get some wild cuttings before they sprout there is still snow where they grow and try and sprout them. ii'm in idaho

• Melinda
    Melinda Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

I recently purchased some cuttings on Amazon. They arrived quickly and I got them in soil with some root hormone. Less than a week and they are sprouting buds for leaves!.

(2) Fresh Black Bearing Elderberry Cuttings, Sambucus Fruit to Enjoy in Years to Come, Fresh Cuttings https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XYH3ZMY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_jWpEEb26K80KY

• vickeym

Obiora E Do you know what variety you have. I will need to find two varieties for best fruiting. We are still buried under several feet of snow here. Can't plant anything until after June 1st in our area. But if you have some then, I may take you up on this.

kmartin.mail Thank you for your offer. Unfortunately shipping here is pretty expensive no matter where it comes from. Many places in the US treat us like they are shipping to a foreign country.

Melinda Will have to look into this once shipping goes back to normal. I have things I ordered on Amazon over a week ago that they still have not shipped. For some reason Amazon has come up with some weird things they cannot ship to me. Doesn't seem to matter what address I ship to. PO box, physical address, even to a family member in a larger city since I live in a more remote area. The most recent was a set of metal measuring spoons I tried to order and they said it requires special handling and could not be shipped to my address. No one has been able to explain why I have these issues with them. :(

• EarlKelly

@vickeym i went on a 3 mile hike a few days ago to see if I could find elderberry for you. I was successful. It’s just a little late here to take cuttings. It has already started to leaf out. I managed to get about 50 cuttings and get them into pots in my greenhouse. They are surprising me and everyone seems to be surviving so far. I also went to my buddy Sean who has a you tube channel edible acres and got a few plants from him. I will get them going good in my food forest all summer and take cuttings for you this winter and send to you. My order that was going to arrive this month was cancelled. So I had a two fold mission. Stay safe and happy growing.

• vickeym

EarlKelly I'm sorry to hear your order was canceled. But it is good to know you were able to get some on your walk. Thank you so much for thinking of me while you did this. I very much appreciate it. I look forward to them. Just let me know how much and how many when you and they are ready. You can PM me with info and I will give shipping information and figure out what the best way to get payment to you will be.

Thank you again, this means a lot to me.

• EarlKelly

vickeym no problem always enjoy helping out a fellow gardener. Hopefully will end up with a couple of varieties. While I was at my buddies he gave me a couple of black currants to plant. If you are interested I will give some cuttings of them too. Have to post some pictures of your garden. Always interested in how others are doing. Stay well and safe while we are in corona prison.

• nksunshine27

@vickeym would you like me to get some spring elderberry cuttings to you?

• vickeym

nksunshine27 That would be wonderful. Looking to make sure I have a couple varieties at least. All we have up here is a red and have heard a lot saying that they are the most toxic ones.

• nksunshine27

@vickeym yes the ones that grow here are the black variety so your safe. i plan on going up this weed cause there is still snow where i get them

• vickeym

nksunshine27 I fully understand. We still have around 3 feet here. At least the lake that used to be our driveway had started draining. Instead of 2-2.5 feet of standing water now there is only about 6-8 inches. While the rain is melting the snow faster it also has my whole yard flooding. lol Alaskan weather is kind of a grab bag.

• nksunshine27

@vickeym Hello i have some elder berry cuttings for you! when i came home with them i cut them and stuck them in water. I would like to send them to you, if you want to email me your address. the only thing that does concern me is them cross pollinating with your red ones don't know if that will change them or not. but some of these cuttings have small buds for leaves started so i will ship them in a wet paper towel taped with a bag around it and in a padded envelope do you think they will be safe that way? let me know they will begin to start roots i hope for you if you put them in a glass of water when you get them. Hope to hear from ya soon

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

@nksunshine27 I ordered elderberry plants from MN, I'm in MO. They came in a triangle shaped, long box from the Post office. Came through pretty well. I think they should be ok the way you described.

• nksunshine27

@dottile46 thankyou these havent got roots yet but they are looking like one or two today the leaf buds are plumping up so that means they are sucking up the water so im hoping they will root for her

• vickeym

nksunshine27 Thank you for being so kind and generous. I don't have the red ones on my property, yet? But I can keep them well separated if I end up with both. I know they sell bare root plants as well as cutting online for elderberries, so I would assume they will root once in water. I'm sure willing to try.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

I have a question - we have an elderberry growing in a pot from a cutting a friend sent to me, but it is not doing very well. I don't know if it's because it doesn't like a pot, or is it because it takes a while to establish? I don't want to plant out in the garden as we are planning on moving and I want to take it with us.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

Ugh, I wish I had an elderberry!

• nksunshine27

@Ruth Reyes-Loiacano do you have access to wild ones? take some cuttings

• Homestead Hubby
    Homestead Hubby Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

I heard these guys are pretty reputable https://www.riverhillsharvest.com/ most places sold out for this year already.

• vickeym

Homestead Hubby I went and looked at their site...I see they sell syrup and such but could not find any elderberry bushes or cutting or even seeds for sale.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@vickeym I am sorry, but I am just seeing your response now. They are Wild American Black Elderberries.

• Melinda
    Melinda Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

I have found elderberry cuttings do quiet well in my greenhouse. thinking of ordering more, so I can have plenty on hand.