Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Spring garden half in! — The Grow Network Community
It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop Choose seeds wisely.

-Confucius

Spring garden half in!

judsoncarroll4judsoncarroll4 Posts: 1,630 admin

Wow, few things will wear you out more than the first couple of weeks of planting a Spring garden... especially in new ground, with hand tools!  I'm half done... about 600 square ft planted intensively - greens are planted to be "cut and come again" and I can't recall the phrase for it, but other annual veggies will be pulled and replaced as soon as harvested.. probably only the medicinal herbs will stay in place.  The peas I planted last Wed are already an inch tall and the mustards I planted earlier are nearing harvest!  Horseshoe crab shells seem to be good "scarecrows" and squirrel deterrents so far.... along with coffee grounds, black pepper and urine. I'll need to fence against deer soon.....  Gosh, I am sore, but I'd rather be doing this than most anything right now!

Comments

• greyfurballgreyfurball Southeastern PennsylvaniaPosts: 582 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. Yes, I agree, Spring is always the hardest part and the most time contentious of any gardeners' seasons.

I always feel like once you can get Spring opening requirements done and then get the seeds in you've licked half the battle of an entire growing season. After that, it's just as one crop comes out, fill the space in with something else.

Good luck with your growing season.

• greyfurballgreyfurball Southeastern PennsylvaniaPosts: 582 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 but I would be willing to bet she will forget all about your tiredness once the harvest starts coming in. By then she is going to appreciate your hard work because she receives some of the produce.

Yes, we work hard to get a good garden going but it's all worth it once we see an entire seasons worth of food on our plates, in our refrig and in our freezers and canning jars on the shelf.

My philosophy, a little bit of daily tired keeps our mind and body young. After some rest, and usually a warm bath or shower, it all goes away anyway and we are ready to try again tomorrow.