Use those old wool sweaters

Linda Bittle
Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of my favorite things to do with an accidentally felted wool sweater. I'll post my mittens in a comment. It's quick, easy, and they make welcome gifts.

Tagged:

Comments

• alindsay22
    alindsay22 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Love it!

• Linda Bittle
  • Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

Those look really cute and warm. It's amazing how thick a felted wool sweater can get; it would be nearly waterproof.

If I were inclined the decorate the mittens, I think I would do it before I sewed it shut.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I made my cat a toy for christmas from some felted sweaters. The video is below. They're using acrylic felt, but I had no trouble using the wool felt, other than it came out a little bigger. I also used a ring cut from the sleeve cuff rather than the plastic ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJjAqRugPM4

I thought it was cool. Ari said that if I thought it was so cool than I can play with it.(Well, admittedly, she did not say that out loud, but she acted really bored.)

• r.lewmir
    r.lewmir Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

I don't use wool yarn but yarn from acrylic sweaters snipped in short pieces, as stuffing for the stuffed animals I make. Using acrylic yarn makes them washable. Wool yarn that is washed (dried) would probably turn felted inside the stuffed animal & possibly make the animal feel lumpy.

• Linda Bittle

@r.lewmir I'm a big fan of reusing all that I can! I like the idea of using acrylic yarn to stuff things. Keeps it out of the landfill.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

what a cool idea! I love being able to make use of things you would otherwise throw out

• Gail H

I just finished making a pair of slippers from a felted lambswool sweater. I used this pattern. https://sewing.lovetoknow.com/sewing-patterns/pattern-make-fleece-slippers I am really pleased with how they turned out and they're warm as toast!

There are a lot of free patterns for making things using polyester fleece that would be suitable for felted wool. I scour the thrift store for felted sweaters . There are even some thrift stores that sell by weight. I have only been to one like that once, but a felted sweater is a great deal at a place like that!

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't done this in years, but I used to make several pairs every year for my kids, like most they were always losing one so I made plenty. Another nice thing about them is that you can make several from one sweater and then mix and match so if one get lost you can still use it's mate.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

On Sunday and Monday in my area, goodwill has 79 cent clothing day. It's the day I look for items to redo and re-create.

I'll have to look for wool sweaters! Very cute @Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking for wool sweaters at Goodwill before Christmas as well. I was going to make sachets as gifts but didn't find any wool sweaters. I'm going to start looking earlier next year.

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

you can also make wooleez balls for your dryer and coasters

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

My neighbor made me the cutest mittens out of an old sweater a few years ago. It wasn't a wool sweater, but I love the mittens so much!

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle Thanks--Love this idea!

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Lovely idea. I also love making children's hats.

• Gail H

@lewis.mary.e Does the seam bother you on your mittens? I am thinking of making some, but just sewing wrong sides together and having the seam allowance on the outside. It seems like there wouldn't be much room left for my thumb if I made them the regular way.

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

The seam is fine, but the mittens are lined with micro fleece, so maybe that's why.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great idea. A friend here makes head bands or ear warmers out of old sweaters. She also uses the sleeves to make finger less gloves. I am thinking if I can find some very large sweaters it could be a matching set... matching mittens or finger less gloves, slippers and ear warmers.

• Gail H

I'm going to make a simple kidney wrap by just cutting the bottom off of a felted sweater.

We cut the turtleneck off of the lambswool sweater and my daughter used it when she had swollen glands. We applied a nice, warming salve and popped the neck part of the sweater on and she slept all night that way. No messy sheets or PJs and it kept the area nice and warm.

• Linda Bittle

I've not been bothered by the seam, but I do make them on the large side for my hands.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri What an excellent idea. Thank you for sharing. I will definitely try it out!!!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have much wool but I would think sweatshirts would work. I will have to give it a try.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted to recycle my old wool socks and decided that in a pinch I could probably make mittens from them for children. I have 5 great grandchildren. I love the ideas for making mittens. I had never thought of using a sweatshirt or using a wool sweater. Thank you.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Linda Bittle What a clever idea! Thanks for sharing.

My mom is 90 years old and she just shared with me a few days ago, that when I was little to would buy me a sweater and then when she washed it and she put it on me, I had outgrown it. She kept telling my Dad that I must be really growing fast and she would have to go back to the store. Finally, the sales lady told her I could not be growing that fast and asked how she was cleaning my sweaters. Mom told her she washed them in hot water, then laid them out to dry. After the sales lady explained NO HOT water, my growing spurts slowed down considerably! She never told Dad, so, I guess now she could share the story! lol

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I have a friend who took a bunch of old sweaters and cut them up and sewed them into a patchwork coat.