Smoked Eggs?

VickiP
VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in General Recipes

OK, I just watched a video and the gal that made was talking about smoking boiled eggs. She didn't go into any detail about other than you boil the eggs then smoke them for 45 min. she was crazy about them. Anyway I thought I would ask if anyone has any experience with that and/or any details about how you went about it. We currently have a major surplus of eggs and I am going to try this but just wanted some input about how to do it.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@VickiP I have never tried this but sounds awesome. Please let us know how you do it and how they taste.

• VickiP

@torey Will do!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited February 2020

Oh yeah - I love smoked eggs, pickled eggs... most anything along those lines. You want to do a cold smoke. For my taste, soft/medium boil, peel, dust liberally with Creole Seasoning (like Tony Chachere's) and then cold smoke with hard wood.... You could hot smoke, but they will keep cooking and get rubbery (some folks like that though). Now, you can also "smoke poach" eggs I a hot smoker. Use something like a muffin tin, oil it and drop in your raw eggs, along with seasoning, cheese, peppers, onions, mushrooms... whatever you like. Put it in the coolest part of your smoker while you are barbecuing meat. Flip them once after thy firm up, to get good smoke flavor. traditional NC barbecue is a 24 hour (+) process over hardwood coals, so we have lots of little treats we make in the coals, to tide us over before the big event, from roasted peppers, to chicken, fish, oysters, corn, hoe cakes, etc. Cold smoked cheese is awesome, too!

• VickiP

@judsoncarroll4 Thanks for the info! I am going to try smoking them, probably next week. I figured a cold smoke would be best. I boiled a dozen yesterday and we made egg salad and pickled the rest. I agree on the smoked cheese, love it. I also love smoked fish. My husband and I took a trip along lake superior one year and stopped at the fisheries to buy smoked fish. Every one had their own way of doing it. Really good eats.

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 thanks for info on how to do it. Heard of them but never tried them. As soon as my ladies pick up production here I am going to try a dozen. Always looking for ways to use my surplus eggs. Thanks

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 Hardwood is usually recommended.because soft wood is too resinous. Thank you for your information.

Question, Is Basswood a soft wood?

@VickiP keep us informed about the smoked eggs.

• judsoncarroll4

I am honestly not sure about basswood. I know it is a softer wood, that is easy to carve and turn into electric guitars... but I've never worked with it, so I don't know abut the resin.

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

@judsoncarroll4 great info but now I have to get a cold smoke possibility. My wife is going to kill me 😇

Use to smoke trout, perch, eel, pike. Smoked chicken is also a treat I totally agree. But I do al these with hot smoking.

• judsoncarroll4

You can set up a cold smoker very cheaply, Alton Brown did one with just a box, a rack, a hot plate and sawdust.

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@teachercaryn basswood is classified as a hardwood. Use it a lot building here in the northeast. Very nice to work with. Hope this helps you.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

Ah, basswood is easy to work with. Very straight-grained. Yes, good for guitars and for building. It’s a soft hardwood.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@teachercaryn I have used basswood (linden) Russian olive, mulberry, grapevine, and lots of other woods that smoke food well. Stay away from pine, juniper, cedar, redwood.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

oops. hit submit twice. I don't know how to delete a posting, only edit it Sorry :-( I do love smoked foods. My wife says I want chipotle pepper on everything. She is probably pretty close to right. Haha!

• Jimerson
    Jimerson Posts: 291 admin
    edited April 2020

I'm a smoked food fanatic (nuts, fish, salt.. everything) and found myself in a smoked egg rabbit hole. Here is a good video on one process I found!

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

@VickiP Not to change the subject but have you ever dehydrated your surplus of eggs cause that is what ive done in the past

• VickiP

I don't have a dehydrator although I have given thought to getting one.

• erikawinterton
    erikawinterton Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

You could also attempt to waterglass your surplus of eggs (so long as they are fresh and unwashed). The recipe I found mixes (1 cup) hydrated lime with (1 quart) well or distilled water in a 5 gal bucket. She just kept filling the bucket with raw clean eggs, and the mixture above until the bucket was full. Says it stores up to year!