Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Gettin the kiddos outside to plant food and medicine! — The Grow Network Community
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

-Abraham Lincoln

Gettin the kiddos outside to plant food and medicine!

lmrebertlmrebert Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭

Since no one is allowed anywhere right now I’m actually pretty blessed to enjoy a day planting food medicine and fun! We got 2 types of tomatoes, green beans, onions, chives, beets, strawberries, 2 types of radish, echinacea, calendula, loofah, cayenne, bell peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, summer squash... also marigolds cuz they’re pretty and good companion plants for a great number of plants... I just love how my grandbabies help me out!sorry sideways again ugh

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 2,446 admin

Since we have cold winter weather/warm spring temps (we are on a huge pendulum), we have decided to go pick cottonwood buds & pine needles.

I want to tap some maple trees too, but we don't have any close by and would have to drive quite a ways. I am not sure if we will do that or not, but boiling down the sap & making maple tea & syrup is very appealing!

• toreytorey Posts: 1,675 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning I have tapped birch trees and made syrup. There is a local company here that does it commercially. It is a great substitute for maple for people who don't have the appropriate maple trees in their area.

I am also going for a short drive today to check out the cottonwood bud situation. I think they might be ready and with snow still on the ground we will beat the ticks!

Cottonwood bud oil (or salve) makes a nice substitute for Vicks as a chest rub.

Still too early to plant outside here but I have a package of pepper seeds to get me going under lights while I wait for others I have ordered.

So great to be able to do home schooling "Natural Science" classes at this time: Botany (planting seeds, identification walks for early spring wildcrafted medicines), Astronomy (get a telescope if you don't have one, even binoculars will do in a pinch), Geology (iD rocks and soils), Biology (visit a farm if you don't live on one and can do so safely, spring is a great time to witness biology), Ecology (start a compost pile or turn your present one).

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 2,446 admin

@torey Maybe we can try tapping the cottonwoods (I have heard that it is an interesting syrup.) Although I am hesitant to because they are along the public roadside & sprayed fields on both sides. However...we do have one out back. Hmm.

• toreytorey Posts: 1,675 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning I have never had cottonwood sap. That is an interesting thought. Maybe we should start another thread on alternatives to maple.

@torey Have at it!

• timtandmetimtandme Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

We have planted beans, peppers, squash, cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelons, melons, etc in the greenhouse and double dug our outside gardens in prep for the seedlings. We had already planned for the year including canning so I hope we will have enough. We have a multi-generational home with 4 generations and 8 grandkids so we have lots of help and great Granny has lots of advice.