uses for newspaper

Gail H
Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

My father-in-law got my husband a subscription to the newspaper for his birthday. We haven't had a printed newspaper around here for years, but I'm loving it!

Since paper towels are hard to come by, we have started filling a basket with rectangles cut from the paper. It works pretty well for small spills. I'm thinking that keeping the basket filled will be a good job for my granddaughter.

I have used the newspaper to make several sewing patterns. The sheets are large, so it's working pretty well.

I think I can make little paper pots for seed starting, as well.

I know many may not have the luxury of all of this paper, but perhaps your town is still sending out the free, little local paper. It may prove to be handy.

If anyone has other uses for newspaper, please pass them along.

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

My family experienced real poverty during my childhood. I've gotten raised eyebrows from family members when I reminded them that newspaper can be used instead of toilet paper. (Ink does get transferred to your bottom, though.)

Unfortunately, we also flushed that newspaper down the toilet.

Today, old newspaper is used as a bird cage liner.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

Well, its a long way to Christmas but when we were still doing the gift giving thing, we used Christmas flyers as wrapping paper. You can find flyers with very Christmasy pictures, even glossy ones. I'm sure we could think of other seasonal flyers that would make appropriate gift paper as well.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

Great idea... I ran out of paper towels just today... TP is close behind... no pun intended lol

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

It can be used shredded for chick bedding.

Red wrigglers can use the no gloss paper.

Of course it can also be used to pack fragile items to keep them from breaking.

• StacyLou
    StacyLou Posts: 89 ✭✭

Thanks for the reminder - I can use some of our newspaper to get our worm farm up and running.

• OhiohillsLouise
    OhiohillsLouise Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

When washing windows use crumpled newspaper instead of cloth or paper towels, it does a much better job.

Fold full sheets of newspaper into neat strips and weave into a mat. Great for sitting around a campfire.

Use as mulch in the garden and for bedding in worm bins.

• 7207chablis
    7207chablis Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

My parents were using newspaper as toilet paper when they were young. However I am wondering if the ink could be harmful for the body? It is now 3 weeks that there is no more toilet paper where I live!

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

Don't forget newspaper is great also outdoors to help eliminate weeds from your garden or flower beds. Place a thick layer (about 4-5 pages thickness) on the ground and then cover with your mulch of choice. By blocking all sunlight, the weeds ultimately get killed off.

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Paper mache uses newspaper strips and wheat paste. Celebrate someone's birthday with a pinata made of paper mache! :)

and re: greyfurball

5 years ago, someone was offloading newspaper flyer/magazines that weren't ever delivered. A whole shed full. Lucky me! I brought home a couple of truck loads and piled them 12" deep in close rows as the basis for one of my garden beds. (All the other beds have a foundation of rotting wood). Then did the hugel layers and that bed is now fully functional part of our garden plan.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

Well, if we are trying to figure out all the uses for newspaper, how about making newspaper palm trees for kids? I haven't done this since I was young.

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

I just made a couple of trash can liners for bedroom trash cans. There are several videos on YouTube showing how to make them.