A couple random thoughts on Corona Virus

I guess I am lucky to be from the generation that was raised for self-reliance. so when blizzards or floods or "economic downturns" happened, we were prepared. Because we were not vaccinated for every conceivable illness, our immune systems developed stronger. And we can survive on smaller portions because we always have and at least know how to cook from scratch. While I understand we need to take some common sense precautions, like washing our hands and covering our mouths when we cough, I was amazed (and somewhat amused) at the number of people I saw today looking like they were preparing for the "great zombie apocalypse". I work for a medium size retail chain which carries a fairly broad range of goods -tools, hardware, household, etc- and we had people fighting over toilet paper and carrying out bottled water 10 or 20 cases at a time, along with cartloads of canned spaghetti and tuna. Here they were, in crowds which they should be avoiding if they were truly concerned about being infected, fighting over toilet paper.

My second thought is: Why isn't there a Corona Virus vaccine for humans? We've had a corona virus vaccine for dogs for years, so the virus isn't something that's never been seen before. I guess there must not have been any money in it for big pharma...until now.

Comments

• bmaverick
    bmaverick Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

Sorry, no vaccine for any corona virus. These types of viruses mutate little-by-little as they move from person-to-person or animal-to-person and back. It would be like trying to hit a moving target. It's almost the same reason of getting a basic flu shot. It's a wild guess part on the CDC of what 'might' hit your area. Over 30,000 strains and the flu shot targets just 1. Best to have a good immune system overall.

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

I went to buy some French fries from the freezer just now and the shelf in the supermarket were completely empty. No flour, no kind of bread, no canned meals, no tuna, no canned tomatoes no milk nothing and toilet paper is gone for thee days in a row already.

It is completely insane.

• Jeanne Spears
    Jeanne Spears Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

@bmaverick The retail farm store I work for does in fact sell a corona virus vaccination for dogs as part of a 10-way vaccine, and we have carried it for years. I understand the mutation/transfer issue, but at least there should be some kind of base starting point if we are treating it in animals.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Stores are pretty stripped here as well, with the grocery stores jam packed with people. It does indeed seem like the zombie apocalypse lol. The bad part of that is when the people with limited funds go to get their necessities there is nothing to buy! People are just going plain crazy. While it has never been this bad in my lifetime, even with ice storms, hurricanes, etc., it makes me wonder about the lasting changes that may play out. Hopefully some of the good ones like growing food instead of lawns are what sticks.

• Jeanne Spears

I too am hopeful that some good, some lessons will be learned from this: Preparedness (without hoarding or looting), some awareness of how climate change affects not only the weather but also in turn our health, and a movement toward individual self-reliance. I realize on this site that's like "preaching to the choir". I remember the Y2K panic and how my son and family had come home from the east coast (Maryland/DC area) for the 1999 holidays. They had planned to return before the new year because Y2K had been hyped as the end of the world, so overblown that it must just be a hoax. I asked my son (who now runs his own computer tech company) "what if its not - would you rather be here in the middle of nowhere with food and shelter, or in metro DC when the world goes crazy without the internet?". Consequently, they stayed until after the first of the year. My point is just that if you are even partially self-reliant, you are not (as) likely to panic every time some crisis happens. At this point, I am considerably less afraid of the corona virus than I am of other people's reaction to it. The store I work for is sold out of sanitary supplies, toilet paper, many canned goods.... and ammunition.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

Oh wow. We haven't had need to go into the city for shopping for a while now, but I am reading local news online to keep up with facts & craziness. The now "usual" things are gone, but not like I am hearing above.

Things are being cancelled like crazy. I have received lots of notices, some more than once. It is strange.

Ah well, we will see what more happens as time goes on.

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

I stay fairly well stocked on most things but did go today to top off the supplies. In my field of work, it is very likely that I could by away from home for a few to several days if other staff members get sick. I wanted to be sure every base was covered.

I went to a more rural community (the entire county's population was 20,500 in the 2010 census) nearest here that is surrounded by a large population of Mennonite and Amish families along with the everyday Americans. Wal-Mart there is a very large store and has more family size and larger packaged items them the Wal-Marts in the other larger towns. I am sure that a good part of the shoppers I came across today were not local. The majority of shoppers were males by themselves.

No toilet paper, paper towels, dinner napkins, very few facial tissue boxes, no Ramen noodles, potted meat and vienna sausages nearly gone, sugar wiped out, flour bigger than 1# bag, Lysol spray, cooking oil except the big 3 gallon jug, no store brand saltine crackers, soda pop almost wiped out, dog food and cat food nearly gone, kitty litter nearly gone, no bleach, white vinegar, rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, freezer cases about half empty overall, none of the cheapest ice cream pails in stock, and the bread isle had been hit hard but had about half what it normally there.

I did purposefully walk the entire pharmacy section just to see. With the situation with this virus in my mind this is what I saw - near full stock on Tylenol, ibuprofen and other fever and pain relievers, cough drops, throat sprays, cough and cold medicines, vitamin and mineral supplements, essential oils and carrier oils, incontinent supplies, then on across the store, garden seeds well stocked along with cool season bedding plants, seed starting and gardening supplies fully stocked, herbal teas appeared untouched, other tea bags and coffees fully stocked, frozen vegetables and fruits fully stocked as well as canned vegetables and fruits, then there were other things that don't come to mind at the moment.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,617 admin

I am currently in Puerto Rico - and I bust out laughing when I went to the local grocery store. Pretty much everything was in stock except toilet paper and bottled water. LOL. Like what kind of priorities do people have? They are only preparing for one end of the alimentary canal!

It just astonishes me how many businesses are closing and events being cancelled.

I really appreciate @Jeanne Spears comment At this point, I am considerably less afraid of the corona virus than I am of other people's reaction to it.

There certainly will be global economic collapse from all this. And there will certainly be supply chain problems coming soon. What a crazy thing... it's almost like everyone is agreeing to have it happen.

On a personal note.. I'm in a kinda odd situation as I don't have a good 'base' setup here in PR and all my preps are in CO or TX. If I get hungry, I'll fly back! LOL

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Marjory Wildcraft ...and be stuck in quarantine.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Marjory Wildcraft Where are you right now? I have been concerned for your safety & wellbeing.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Thank you for your kind words.

We have prepared fairly well. None of us cares to go into the city where the real craziness is. We were able to get most of our shopping done before the first wave of (paper) panic & topped it up a bit before the second wave of (food) panic. I just hope that what we have is enough to keep us out of the city for a month or more. We are trying to stretch it...which I am no stranger to. We are using this time to try to reinstate our once a month shopping like we used to do years ago.

I too am wondering how the economic thing will go as well. There is no money coming in for most & govt. is throwing it around like crazy. Up here in Canada, our PM is even talking about pushing a bill through to get the ability to spend without parliamentary approval. That is dangerous and is being strongly opposed. It is a good thing that it isn't a majority govt. here this time around!

Long before this time, I had been talking with my husband about great nations. They became large and powerful, then some disaster caused collapse or destruction of that civilization. It is consistent throughout history and is a common denominator in the downfall of powerful civilizations. It will be interesting to see how/if this might fit into that same pattern.

I listened to/read something a few months ago where someone talked about a professor who studied great civilizations. He lived over 100 years ago. I can't remember how long ago (1600-1800, haha), but I remember what he said. There is a pattern. He had them listed in steps. Some of the downward spiral signs is a lack of morality & great selfishness, which has existed for quite some time in these large countries. I certainly wish I could link to it, but I have no idea where to find it anymore. It had great insights and fits so well. I remember discussing that we (he spoke of the US, but many countries are at this point) one step away from collapse according to this man's observations.

Anyway, it is interesting to ponder. We will see what comes of this eventually. Until then, we can keep enjoying our natural world around us and learn all we can to be self-supporting in all ways.

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

@desireet02 Central OH here, we are semi-rural. I work in the local grocery store, and it was NOT my neighbors who were doing the panic shopping...people from the 'suburbs' that surround us, and close towns/cities that were 'pillaging' our store! My neighors and community members, for the most part, are common sense people, many of them farmers of one type or another (be it the neighborhood gardeners or the larger farms in the area). We do have quite a few 'urban transplants' that I imagine were less prepared.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited March 2020

@Grammyprepper That's exactly what we found here.

We found the same mentality a few years back when the city people would come out an hour to take up time from our doctors. We told them to not come out here. The wait times weren't as advertised by other city folks. Our wait times while at the office weren't long (not 4 hrs like in the city), but to get an appointment suddenly became a 4 month wait, most likely because of them.

It does get frustrating when they overwhelm the country because their city is not adequate. It really is like stealing from the rest of us.

• Jeanne Spears

As stated in a previous post, I work for a medium size rural retail chain, so we carry the basics - animal feed, tools, pantry items, guns & ammo, etc. so we are considered an "essential business" and are still open. After the initial run on toilet paper, water and canned spaghetti, we got hit with a barrage of gun buyers. We sold three times the amount of guns and ammunition we sold all of last year in just two weeks time. This prompted a memory from my teen years. I was born on a farm and we raised 95% of what we ate. As the Viet Nam war escalated, my mother was concerned that the economy would do what they had lived through during WWII, and suggested we should consider stock piling extras. My father's response was no - no point in that because if the economy tanked again, the city people would just come and steal it.

The store I work for lost over a hundred thousand last year in shoplifted merchandise, most of which was taken by organized crews stealing items to sell for drug money. Lately, its just been people in a panic, stealing whatever they think they can sell, like they are somehow "owed" their lifestyle. They seem to think it won't matter because they're stealing from a store, but those losses trickle down to worker level - the corporate guys are going to make the same regardless, its the cashiers and stockers that won't get a raise, or have their hours cut. We are the ones being stolen from, not the store.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds to me like the media is scaring everyone no matter where you live. My husband loves to have the TV on even though no one really sits and watches it. So, a couple weeks ago we started turning on cooking or travel. We do watch the presidents updates and occasionally watch the news. We cannot get our friends and family to do the same and we're sure they're scared out of their minds b/c they have the news on about this virus 24/7. I've been watching the videos in the Home Medicine 101 class and have made a few things after watching the videos mainly to keep busy. I've also made fire cider.

Our governor put us on a stay at home order for the elderly and those who have pre existing conditions b/c there are a few counties that have over 100 cases. Yet most of the other counties have very few or none. Of course I have friends that are freaking out b/c they insist this virus is everywhere regardless of what the tests say and they want us to be on total lock down. I just can't imagine that!

I went to the grocery store yesterday - actually 3 to get my normal groceries. It was just like normal - this time of year with the pollen count extremely high here a lot of people wear masks so nothing out of the ordinary. I couldn't decide if I was in the twilight zone at the stores or if it was being stuck at home.

The kids here have been doing digital learning for 2 weeks and now we're on spring break. I'm sure the commissioner of my county and all of the mayors made their own executive order to stay at home yesterday b/c it's spring break and all the kids won't have school work. It's been in the mid to upper 80's here and people want to get their kids out of the house so they closed the parks and supposedly they're giving citations if you go out and are not 6 feet apart. I'm beginning to wonder what county I live in! If my husband and I go on a walk and we aren't 6 feet apart we can get a citation but then we can go in the house and sit on the couch next to each other!

I also pray the economy in every country can get back to normal as soon as possible since they all affect each others. So many people are out of work here b/c their businesses are "non essential".

As I write I've gotten 3 hang up calls (trying to sell something). That makes me think things are getting better! I usually get 15 or so a day - hang ups once my answering machine comes on, robo calls, etc. We haven't gotten any since this started. So things must be getting better!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@kbmbillups1 I think that in your case, if walking with your husband, to bring picture ID with you.

@Jeanne Spears :( Stay safe in all of this. I can't imagine the panic of buying up so many guns, etc. Did these folks not have any before? Do they know and understand safe use? What do they need them for? Are they planning to trespass on private land & start shooting anything that moves? Farmers will protect their place, animals & family. This is what would scare me if I lived there. I have kids & large & small animals (a few people even said that at a distance our slim quarterhorse/thoroughbred looked like a moose from a distance 🙄). I think that those panicked people with weapons and possibly no experience, besides watching videos, are scarier than any virus.

I am so very glad this isn't what is happening here. We are only dealing with the usual) tp & food hoarders & many people just not abiding by orders to stay home & stay self-quarantined. It sounds like city stores are still crowded.

We are down to 10 people in a gathering. I know some families larger than this. Only essential businesses are still going, others are minimally staffed. Delivery within the cities has picked up. The border to the south is closed, warnings are given out at major highways east & west, and I am sure more restrictions are coming in short order.

I am looking forward to the day when we don't have to deal with any of this. Until then, we will do what we can to avoid the city.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@Grammyprepper you know you are probably correct in that it is the outside of the area people buying things up.

My daughter is a home health nurse in Michigan and she has really struggled just to find sanitizer and supplies. I gave her a recipe to make her own since she was able to get the alcohol and pure aloe gel needed. But I am sure by now that is probably gone now too. One other thing I had her make was little soap tablets. This way all she needs to do is bring bottled water and the tablet to scrub and rinse her hands as she is leaving a patients home in the driveway and then shake it off vigorously. Desperate times sadly for our healthcare workers.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

Here is pretty much the same, tp is out daily even with a limit 2 sign. The bacon now has that same sign hanging from its shelf display in the cooler. Canned foods, carrots, and most boxes of pastas have been bought. However, most produce and international foods are in supply though. I agree that the global media will be worse before the storm calms and life eventually returns to normal. Here, some 20-30 teachers took chalk, and for three hours went to their students homes and wrote positive messages in their driveways. When families woke up, and they read the messages, the students and parents were delighted that they were thought of in such a time of uncertainty. Photos were posted on fb and there was a news coverage. Hope, happiness and peace

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

In our province, there are all the essential businesses you would expect to be open such as gas stations, grocery stores, pharmacies, banks, etc., but we also have essential industries working such as construction, logging, mining, oil & gas, pulp & paper mills (got to keep the TP coming 😁), etc. I live in a rural, resource based economic region, so there are fewer out of work here than in other areas.

After the initial rush, the grocery stores are pretty well all stocked again. Still no TP but I did get paper towels. And everything else on my list when I was in town last. But I am usually always pretty well stocked in most staples with full freezers.

No one I know of has purchased any new guns although my husband did mention getting a box of shells as he is quite low and doesn't want to be unable to find the ones he likes come hunting season.

I haven't seen anyone in masks. There are no restrictions on movement within the province yet, although some of the more remote First Nation communities have put up road checks and are not letting anyone in except for residents and supplies.

I have also turned off the TV or insisted that it be put on a nature program. My husband is a real news junkie but its just not healthy listening to this 24/7. Once or twice a day for a regular news broadcast to pick up on any new details of what to expect next. We've actually heard some news that wasn't COVID related. The teachers have settled their contract.

Life seems a little closer to normal here than what I see in other areas on TV. New York looks horrible right now. Very grateful for where I live.

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

A followup to my post on March 14th. To this day, April 3rd, I've seen only 2 12-pks of toilet paper in one store and one 4-pk in another. Not that I go to a store everyday, but it's been 19 days since toilet paper has been in stock. So glad I had some on hand. Wow!

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

Just so y'all know, I work in the local grocery, and I am NOT privy to what we get in, I am also subject to the 'whims' of the just in time delivery system. As well as the ravages of the 'unprepared'. We get TP and paper towels in, and we can't even stock the shelves, ppl see it and just grab it as soon as it hits the floor, even before it is unloaded off the pallets. I know I don't really need to remind this group, but I will anyhow. Please be kind to your grocery store employees. We have NO control over what we are getting from our distribution centers. THEY are trying their best to get all stores stocked. The truck drivers are doing THEIR best to get the supplies to the distro centers and the stores. We are all doing th e best we can right now, all of us and all of you. Please keep 'social distancing', please keep washing your hands, don't make unneeded trips out...Love and virtual hugs to all of TGN!

• kbmbillups1

For the most part I think people are trying to be kind and helpful to each other during this crazy time. People checking on each other and asking if they need anything from the store when we go out.

My husband did have to be at the store yesterday when it opened and fight his way down the paper good aisle to get toilet paper. He said most people were being nice about it but some were not. He said one lady tried to block the aisle with her cart and no one was social distancing. Around here you cannot find any toilet paper so I'm sure everyone was trying to get a pack. Unfortunately the only pack he could get is scented! Our garage smells like flowers. I'm hoping the scent wears off so only bringing the rolls in we need.

One of my daughter's works at Chickfila. She told me how one of her coworkers got sprayed with lysol by someone coming through the drive thru. Another got yelled at for not wearing a mask. The line at her store has been wrapped around the building and quite a ways down the road. People are waiting 25 minutes to get food and for the most part being patient and kind.

My other daughter works at Panera. They have not been near as busy. She had one customer who was upset that the napkins, straws, etc are behind the counter now. The customer started yelling and cussing and came around the counter to get her own things. She said the manager had to escort her out of the store. Another lady wrapped her debt card in a lysol wipe and refused to let my daughter take it out of the wipe and touch it even though she had gloves on and changes them between every customer. She even offered to put a new pair on in front of the lady. Kind of hard to swipe a card wrapped in a wipe!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited April 2020

@kbmbillups1 😳🤯 I have no words. Imagine that.

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

@kbmbillups1 If somebody is that afraid of swiping their card, why are they going to Panera? Just stay home. 🙄

• kbmbillups1

@figsagee I was thinking the same thing!! Recently here on the news they've really been scaring people.

Even though the Surgeon General and the President have said wearing masks are voluntary and Dr. Brix is saying to avoid the grocery store in the hardest hit areas our news stations are telling everyone they cannot go out without a mask and no one should go to the grocery store - stock up! We are not one of those hard hit states! I figure more of that craziness will be taking place - like the lady with her debt card wrapped in a wipe!

This discussion has been closed.