Hoss Tools: Growing potatoes

Comments

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz Good pointers on growing potatoes. Again many thanks

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

@tomandcara I had no idea the number of eyes determined to an extent, the size of the new potato..

If you get a chance, be sure and check out 'Hollis and Nancy' as they do many many many vids on a lot of differ veggies, and I always like seeing his structures that he builds to aid in their garden work. It has given me ideas for my own endeavors, esp the rinsing station they made and use. He also did a pretty big and very nice layout/build for their pantry in their vids over the past year or so after they moved. Nancy does kimchi vids, etc...as well as helping Hollis in many of his vids,

🍓

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz your starting to scare me. We subscribe to the same you tube videos for ideas. Love my hoss tools. Another one to check out is bumblebee junction. Was surprised when Hollis and Nancy moved from Virginia. Been watching for a while, lots of great tips and ideas.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

@EarlKelly LOL. Have you seen the end of summer review of peppers done by 'living traditions'? Beautiful peppers, esp ajvarski. That vid was posted here a couple months ago. She does a real good review of the peppers they grew.

On that note, I'm waiting for my first temp controller for heat mats that I"m going to pick up at walmart for the many varieties I am going to grow this summer. My low germ rate is what prompted me to do that as the peppers are the only seed type that ever gives me any grief lol.

Even my sweet corn I start in seed packs and have got a few batches planted later than I wanted got pretty big in the small seed pods. Once I set them out I planted them a little deeper than when I direct seed so the toes would stay covered longer in hopes of none of them falling over and it really worked well. Last summer I direct seeded them in raised beds, too late in the season but still got some small ears, black and oh so beautiful..can't wait this year and the red chinese noodle and the red takane buckwheat is one of the most beautiful little blooming cover crops and so easy to grow. I live to garden... Have you seen the sweet little 'Cherokee Pumpkin' that Hoss tools sells? I"m growing them and hoping to have many seeds. Another you tuber sent them some seeds, the few extra they had so Hoss sold them in pckets of 10....I just happened to be going through my email the morning their email arrived listing that the pumpkin seeds were in a ready to sell so I got a pack. they are said to have been grown by the Cherokee tribe so I"m hoping to have enough to share with them as they do not carry them in their stash at their Tribal hq in Okla.

Have you noticed all the nice structures Hollis has designed and built....their rinse station, drying racks, and how he designed their watering set up? All those where they moved from a couple years ago, but at their new place he also did a real nice vid on the building of their pantry....

I love watching them they are such sweet people.

Also 'Epic Gardener' has some very good teaching vids...

What are your fav tomato's to grow?

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz yes subscribe to living traditions also. Love to see what others are doing. Remember them talking about the Cherokee pumpkin at Hoss tools. Was busy putting up new fences around my garden areas to keep out the deer. They have suddenly decided to dine here nightly. Some of my other pumpkins that were growing would be doing beautifully. I would go out the next day and where the pumpkin was growing all I would have is the stem attached to the vine. Still trying to get all my grow areas fenced off and protected. Yes, enjoyed watching Hollis build his new homestead up. Loved the pantry and his tackle shop. Will have to check out living off grid mcgarvey style. Enjoy his videos also. My new favorite tomato is an heirloom I got ahold of locally. Their called it the fig tomato. Tons of fruit about cherry tomato size. Delicious and excellent dried. We then put the dried pieces into the homemade soups that we cook up. Saved some seed and looking forward to planting even more this year. Another item the deer found and love. Stay safe and well all.