Looking for Creative Ideas for Graduation Since There Won't Be a Ceremony or Party Due to Covid19

kbmbillups1
kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in COVID-19/Coronavirus

In the midst of this trying time my daughter is watching all of her senior activities pass her by. I'm not trying to make light of the seriousness of the virus or seem selfish. I'm just trying to think ahead and make some plans. I'm sure parents with seniors all over the world are trying to figure out what to do.

My daughter graduates from high school in May. I want to have some kind of graduation/party for her even though I highly doubt there will be a ceremony and unless things changes we won't be able to have a party either. The prom has been taken off of the calendar, her theatre class would have performed Seussical (she was going to be the Sour Kangaroo), honors night & various banquets where the kids would be presented their chords probably won't happen as well as all their senior week activities including graduation.

Some of the moms have thrown the idea around about lining all of the kids up in their cars and letting them "parade" around the subdivisions so families can wave to them. Teachers from several schools did that and the kids loved it. With over 700 seniors that would probably hard to coordinate though...

I'm hoping they go back to school on April 27th - that's the scheduled day of return for now - (We've been doing digital learning) so the kids can at least get their caps and gowns so we can take some pictures.

We usually put yard signs out at the front of the subdivisions for each senior. I'm hoping to be able to get one made but that would be a non essential business so not sure if I will be able to.

The school asks for family and friends to write senior letters. Since we've been on digital learning I've been reminding people over and over trying to get a few b/c I hate to think that that's probably all she'll get for graduation - other than a memory she'll never forget.

Right now we can't gather at all - not even 10 or less - so unless that changes we can't have a traditional party. She wanted a fry bar. If they go back to school we might be able to have one but who knows. I thought about a drive by party.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Maybe some type of virtual gathering on Facebook or YouTube? I saw a choir give a concert with each member taking part. You could get her closest friends to take part. Or even do the parade idea with several smaller groupings than 700. Hopefully, all will be back to "normal" and y'all will be able to celebrate collectively.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

In the town closest to me where the high schools are, they have a long tradition of a parade to get to grad. The community isn't big enough to have enough limos for all the students to take what has become a traditional way to get to grad so they have improvised. The object of the parade is to bring your date in the most unusual mode of transportation possible. Students arrive, fully dressed in tuxes and gowns, in antique cars & trucks, in the buckets of loaders, on tractors, skidders, logging trucks, horse drawn carriages & wagons, saddle horses, motorbikes, bicycles built for two, a small cart pulled by a donkey and many others. One young man pushed his date in a shopping cart cause his ride fell through at the last moment. I think they got most unusual that year. Its a big deal. As many people seem to come out to watch this as they do to watch the annual stampede parade. Not sure how that would work with the self isolation thing in some areas.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

What we did for our homeschool daughter was to order a cap & tassel from a grad supply place. Once we received them, we got her to dress up in her favorite fancy dress & went to a beautiful place to take our own grad pictures.

You could make a special cake or dessert of her choosing & perhaps a special meal.

As for something done with so many others, I don't see any options other than some version of what has already been suggested above, unless you planned for a special time together before everyone might disperse for fall desinations. This of course, is dependent on how long all of this lasts.

These grads will have one of the most unique graduation celebrations, and as much as they may feel robbed of it, it is an opportunity to make memories unique to all.

• dianne.misspooz
    dianne.misspooz Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

Do a Zoom conference where you can have over 1,000 participate! That should be fun!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

That is a great idea, @dianne.misspooz! @kbmbillups1 Is this doable?

• kbmbillups1

@LaurieLovesLearning It would be doable to get her friends together. They use Zoom for school now and just to hang out. One problem we've found is anyone who has an older phone or laptop has not been able to use it. My in laws church as been using it for meetings but they cannot figure out how to use it. That's the main issue I see- older relatives and friends not being able to participate b/c they either can't figure it out or don't like technology and won't try.

But who knows by May everyone might be an expert!

A friend posted on Facebook the most entertainment she had all week was her bible study group trying to meet using zoom! 😄

• 7207chablis
    7207chablis Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

Report it for later !

• dianne.misspooz
    dianne.misspooz Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

It sure it! But like the other commenter said, it takes maybe a trial run with good instructions to get everyone on board. You've got now to practice! Good luck!

• kbmbillups1

My older daughter took senior pictures of the one graduating today. We moved everything off of the front porch to use the stacked stone as a backdrop. We used her graduation gown since the color is the same but of course the year is not so they left the cap off. I made a drape and got out grandma's pearls so they could take an official looking senior portrait. They also took some fun ones with a class of 2020 sign. I was excited for the pics because now I can make a sign for the front of the subdivision which is a tradition here.

• I have twins who are graduating this year. I understand how you feel. I am looking around for some ways to celebrate them this year while also respecting the seriousness of the pandemic. Great ideas in this post.

• kbmbillups1

@wabbit1964 Since I first posted this sadly not much has changed as far as graduation or a graduation party.

I taped 2 pieces of poster board together and covered it with a zillion pics of my daughter and her friends, our family, church activities, school activities - clubs, volleyball, theatre, and a banner she got in the mail from the college she's going to (hopefully in person) and hung it on our front door. On either side I hung the posters from each show she was in since at that time we hadn't gotten caps and gowns and honestly didn't know if we would.

We had to take our own senior picture from the chest up in her cap and gown, cords, etc to upload to the school website for her virtual graduation that is tomorrow morning at 10:30 am. We have a date set for a traditional graduation in July "if conditions allow". We're all praying conditions do allow it to happen! Watching everyone's pictures online just isn't the same.

It's a tradition at her high school that the kids put on their caps and gowns and have a Senior Parade through the school. The drumline plays and the parents come to cheer them on. Of course this year that couldn't happen...so finally last night all of the seniors were allowed to line up their cars and "parade" around the school parking lot. They weren't supposed to have their windows down and no parents were supposed to come. But that just didn't sound like a celebration or any fun. The kids all had their windows down and quite a few parents and family members came to cheer all of the seniors on as they "paraded" by. We waved until our arms felt like they'd fall off since there are almost 700 kids in her class. Of course "congregating" wasn't allowed so it wasn't as much fun as it really should have been since they have missed out on all of their senior activities.

Digital learning has not been fun either. So glad yesterday was the last official day of school and today was her last AP test which was online this year as well.

On to virtual graduation tomorrow morning! She has requested lemonade and vanilla ice cream for breakfast as we watch her graduate on the computer. I couldn't say no after everything she's been through. Then, we're going out to an early dinner since our state is open for in person dining again.

We still don't know if we'll be able to have a graduation party though. Hoping by July we will!!

I hope you find some ways to celebrate too. Congratulation to your twins.