Plantain Lancelote for the win!

lmrebert
lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Wild Edibles & Medicinals

Camping in Malibu I came across a tone of different plantain than popped up in my garden!! Super excited hope it does well in my garden😀

Comments

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

I love plantain! It is one of my favorite medicinal herbs. A yarrow/plantain salve is wonderful for bites, rashes, and just generally soothing skin.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

The narrow-leaved plantain? Its all we have in our garden, heaps of it :) But strangely none of the broad leaved variety, although it does grow around the neighbourhood. Maybe the narrow leaved one won't let it grow? Hmmmmm who knows?

They can be used pretty much interchangeably in herbal medicine :)

• lmrebert

I’ll have to look into them not growing near each other because the plantain major popped up in my yard...🤔

• lmrebert
    edited April 2020

@kmartin.mail so I could not find anything about them not being planted around each other, or that their desired conditions were any different either, so I just figured ok, I'll leave the broad leaf in the front and transplanted the narrow leaf in the back. I'm pretty excited about the nature that pops up when you let it!

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

All my plantain grows in my gravel driveway. I don’t want to harvest from where our cars and truck; sit, run over, maybe leak, definitely put out exhaust.

Do they transplant well? I was thinking of moving them, letting them go to seed and waiting a year or two before harvesting from that patch??? Any thoughts?

• lmrebert

@herbantherapy ya it seemed to bounce right back nicely! See above pic I added!

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@lmrebert yes, nature will pop up - I have always wanted nettle and none was in our garden but lo and behold, suddenly a plant just appeared! Fantastic :)

@herbantherapy I don't know if you can transplant but I don't see why not. Maybe send a message to them that you want them to grow all over? We seem to have more and more popping up all over the place.

• lmrebert

Doing well! Lots of new growth from the center, you can’t tell from this shot but it’s growing upward nicely 💕

• An
    An Posts: 42 ✭✭

Plantain is a tough little plant that can grow huge when it likes where it is. I have pulled it out as a weed and had it stay alive in the pile of weeds as I didn't pick up my pile right away and there was shade and moisture left on the roots.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have narrow leaf plantain that volunteered in a planter. I am watering it to see how well it does.