Question regarding 'seed starting' heating mats and thermostats

silvertipgrizz
silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Tools, Hardware, & Machines

Need the mats and a thermostat inparticular for some pepper seeds. All the other seeds in all my years starting plants from seed...have all done well. Really need them for the peppers seeds and don't know which mats and thermostats are worth the money.... ???

Any preferences you might recommend?

Comments

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz finally got back to your questions in your other posts, sorry was busy last few days helping my parents. The propagation mat that I use is the MET from Amazon. It does have a temperature controller on it. I use this because occasionally I use it in my unseated greenhouse. This one will keep the temperature between 70 and 85. Depending on where you set it. Works great for hard to start seeds like peppers. Most others only keep the mat 10 to 20 degrees warmer than the ambient air (surrounding air) . Works great for in your house only. Hope this clears everything up for you. Good luck.

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz just did a quick search for my propagation mat. Guess no longer available. Found one made by vivosun, good reviews and price wise pretty good. Temperature controller included, think it will work great for you. Couple of the reviews I read said they use that and grow light and their peppers were up in 7 days. Hope this helps you.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz I have used an old waterbed heater. Not the prettiest or most elegant, but it had a thermostat and my pepper seeds started just fine.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

This may not be the best advice, but...I've always just used a regular ole' heating pad.

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

this is the one that we have used for years and it has worked well.