Gardening projects for kids without a garden
I'm reaching out to the community for ideas for my nephew (aged 9) who is currently in lock-down in a flat in the suburbs outside London. He usually spends most of his outdoor time with his grandparents who have a large garden, but while this horrible situation continues, he's unable to visit them (they are elderly) and only has access to a window box on the balcony of his flat.
My sister in law is going around the twist trying to home school him while also continuing to work at her job. She's asked me if I can put together an herbal / vegetable project for him, and so I'm trying to research available resources which I aim to share here on this thread.
My nephew likes strawberries and she would like him to have a go at growing something he can eat and enjoy. As an herbalist, I'd also like to begin to introduce him to some basic culinary plants he can grow from seed and potentially make medicines with.
Although this is my area of expertise, I have no children of my own and am having difficulty pitching the right level for his age, whilst also trying to make it fun. (I don't want to be the boring auntie!)
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, links to useful educational resources (preferably free,) or is already doing something similar with their own children that they wouldn't mind sharing? In the meantime I'm going to undertake my own research about what's available here in the UK and will post a library of findings to share with everyone here.
Please help! If we pool our ideas we could potentially create a good home schooling resource for our kids at this difficult time.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 509 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter