Shelter at Home Order in My Area

2»

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TiffanyMilner I agree that much of our culture's behavior makes no sense. Rational sense is becoming as rare as "common sense."

I am still wondering if glyphosate poisoning will take us down like lead took down the Roman Empire.

Oh well, gardening is a rational pastime -- even the pests make sense in their own world.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

@TiffanyMilner Locking people up is what they are doing in some areas and some countries. If orders are defied, there are large fines & I have heard up to 6 months in prison. If that is not a deterrent...

Up here, there are some fighting for release of some criminals that supposedly are charged with lesser crimes, but that seems to include drug dealers. I hope they don't get their way. I could see that only adding to the problem.

I am now hearing possibilities of end of July or August as best case scenarios for the end, and then a second wave in the northern hemisphere. Toronto (Ontario) has all but essential services closed until the end of June.

My sister is preparing to try to come back to Canada from China for the end of May. Nobody here is settled about that, because who wants her to come into their space from China, even after quarantine? That would make me uncomfortable. Who has room? My parents are at risk. Nobody is comfortable with her staying there, but that is where she would want to be.

China says she has to have a special stamp or she can no longer stay in the country. It is looking like that stamp will not be happening, so we will see what the result will be. I know that she is not the only Canadian still in China.

My Dad feels antsy. He loves to travel and get out for coffee at the very least. We had virtual coffee with them recently to help ease some of the feeling. We "fed" them fresh cookies and talked about mud & newly constructed kids' teepees outside.

I try not to feel panicked as it is not beneficial, but it is difficult to figure out how to settle into the new world we have found ourselves in.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning

I feel for your sister, being caught in "No Man's Land" so to speak. Is the government still looking at repatriating citizens from China or will she have to find her own way home? That should be a struggle in itself with the lack of flights anywhere. Maybe she could be convinced to spend extra quarantine time in a hotel (over and above the recommended government quarantine) before coming in contact with your parents or anyone else particularly vulnerable. By the end of May it should be nice enough that if any family member had a travel trailer, she could use that for awhile to stay isolated. I know a lot of people during the fire evacuations here used RVs rather than stay in one of the group lodging situations.

We have been staying at home other than going to the post office to check the mail and our weekly trip to the grocery store for fresh items. But those trips will be getting fewer as more people have started shopping for each other to limit the number that have to go.

Tried to go for a walk today but the wind was just so cutting that we chickened out before we got out of the driveway. We are very thankful to be in a rural area where we can walk (a lot) without coming in contact with people. I really feel for people who are self-isolating in apartments, especially those without a balcony.

And we are looking forward to spring more than ever this year.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@torey That is a great idea! I will keep that in mind. It also gives me time to track down something.

Our snowfall today was 6" and more is to come over tonight through tomorrow and into Thursday. I was out taking heavy snow off the chicken tarps so they didn't collapse. I am glad that is done, but will most likely be going out again over the next few days for a repeat.

One of my cousins is stuck in a highrise condo in Toronto. He says he wishes he could be on a farm too. 🙁 He chose the city and now wishes he didn't...at least through this.

• Debora Salmon
    Debora Salmon Posts: 14 ✭✭✭

This shelter in place and drastic change for so many reminds me of a conversation I had a few years ago (think Jade Helm) when a young man told me I was stupid for preparing for anything and that people in the cities could survive anything but us country folks wouldn’t make it...since they had all the grocery stores. Hmmm. At any rate I am thankful to be on acreage with a garden and miles away from even a small town. I keep pretty well stocked as we are 29-25 miles from a full grocery store. I am missing my 1/2 & 1/2 and fresh salad makings but am trying to learn some good plants for foraging. Since I have no direct neighbors I am in no fear of catching anything or of even being confined to my house.

I do feel sorry for folks with kids, especially ones living in apartments. This has to be terribly difficult for them.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Debora Salmon I wonder if that young man is rethinking his earlier statements now or if he still believes the same.

• dianne.misspooz
    dianne.misspooz Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

I'm not having a hard time during this home-stay quarantine because I've always been a homebody... but luckily for us, it's planting season! My heart does go out to people in MI whose governor has deemed garden supplies nonessential.

Here in San Diego county, I have been outside getting my raised beds ready. The weather is beautiful so being outside in my garden is my solace. This really hasn't felt like a pandemic because this is my normal life.

Now... this lack of toilet paper has brought me back to reality though; especially since I don't have trees on my property to use it's leaves, should it get that bad! haha

This discussion has been closed.