Penn State Extension offers their Beekeeping course for free

Jens the Beekeeper
Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin
edited November 2020 in Beekeeping

If you like to learn beekeeping for free you may want to have a look over there.

Thanks @silvertipgrizz for digging up the link to this.

Comments

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jens Thanks for knowing about the free course!!!

• sallyhoward
    sallyhoward Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

wow, thanks

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

How awesome! Will definitely be checking this out...

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

thank you @Jens for the notification

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing, Looks like they have several other courses free that are of interest if you farm or grow food for farmers markets.

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

Penn state just announced that their webinar series to become a master gardener is now available for free. Can attest that it covers everything you ever wanted to know and some things you never thought you needed to know. Excellent course if interested. Stay safe everyone.

• tomandcara

@EarlKelly Is this where you got your master gardener certification? It looks like it. How long ago did you do the classes? Have you looked at the "Instant Master Gardener" course in TheGrowNetwork.Com Academy? Any comments on that course?

• EarlKelly

@tomandcara indeed it was. Got it three years ago. Excellent class, went over things I hadn’t seen since high school. No I haven’t had a chance to look over the class from the grow network. On one of my good days will definitely check it out. On my bad days have a hard time even following conversation. Will look at and definitely give you my opinion. Happy growing and stay safe .

• tomandcara

@EarlKelly I have taken several of the classes in the Grow Network Academy and learned things in each one. I will look for your comments on the Instant Master Gardener class, since you have a comparison with the Penn State class. I am going to look at their online class that is available now and will wait to do TGN's class until I ave finished the Penn State class.

Have a pleasant day, hope it is one of your good ones.

• EarlKelly

@tomandcara I have managed to get through some of the grow network classes. Very informative and thoroughly enjoyed them. Need to get back to them. Been busy with family during these extraordinary times. I am sure you will learn something new. Enjoy and good luck.

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

@EarlKelly thanks for the heads-up on the master gardener course will check it out.

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

• tomandcara

@EarlKelly would you please post the link for the Penn State Master Gardener webinar series here?

Thank you

• EarlKelly

Extension.psu.edu you have to go in and set up an account. Then put it in your cart, should show that it is free and they will guide you through the process. Good luck and happy learning.

• tomandcara
    edited April 2020

Thank you @EarlKelly I have an account registered and have the first webinar (Rain Barrels: A Backyard Solution to Stormwater Management) loaded in the cart and ready to go.

• EarlKelly

@tomandcara very pleased you made out ok. Was hoping gave you all the right information. Been down most of the day with an excruciating headache. Thus the short message was all I was able to muster. Hope you enjoy them. Will try to get to the grow network master gardener course. Stay well and safe.

• tomandcara

@EarlKelly No worries about the brevity of your posting. So sorry to hear about your headache. Hopefully you are doing better now.

• EarlKelly

@tomandcara a lot better this morning, thanks. Able to think clearly and up and about. Hope you find lots of useful information in the webinar. Any other useful sites come across, I’ll be like @silvertipgrizz and post a link for everyone to be able to check out. She comes across some useful videos. Take care and stay safe.

• tomandcara

@EarlKelly Glad today is a better day. Going to do an oxalic vaporization on my 2 beehives after I post this comment. It is bright, clear and sunny here at this moment.

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

Several interesting courses on there for free, including Retail Farm Market School, Forest Education, food handling, etc. https://extension.psu.edu/shopby/online-courses

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin
  • silvertipgrizz

@Merin Porter You're very welcome. I just hope I have time to get even just a few of the classes done as well as all the other classes across the net and here at TGN, as well as the garden... 😕

• silvertipgrizz

@EarlKelly I just read you had a bad headache on the 26th. You could try eating foods rich in magnesium as sometimes low mg can cause headaches.

I hope you're feeling better..

• EarlKelly

@silvertipgrizz thanks for the info. They are caused my a medical condition. Have a slow bleed in the back of my head that is inoperable. They are trying different things to help me. Like having a severe migraine continually. Some days are okay. Take all kinds of vitamins and teas to help. Just take it one day at a time, do what I can. Love my gardening and making things. Hope all is well with you and staying safe.

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

This is great. I wish the course was earlier in the lockdown, as now, I am spending all day outside getting gardens in order, etc. Not much time for computer at all....... Will send the link to a friend, though.