Apr.10, noon CST: Ready to "Do Lunch?" online today?

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
edited November 2020 in Other News

I am planning to attend. Are you?

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will try to do so. I am trying to decide which connection to use as I don't feel like hooking up headphones. Will chat be available if I cannot resist throwing in a comment?

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

@LaurieLovesLearning

I don't know how to connect the headphone I think is what it said. Or maybe it was the speaker but my speakers are on...Just like the times I tried to participate in Marjorie's monthly and couldn't not.

I don't mind using head phones but I would rather just link up on my computer but If I'm not there it's because I'm having trouble figuring out a machine that's apparently smarter than I am...

• Jimerson
    Jimerson Posts: 291 admin

@shllnzl

Chat will be available!

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I"m gonna try to do it by phone.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

@Jimerson how can we chat? I’m in, probably anonymous lol

• maimover

@LaurieLovesLearning I’m on the lunch call via phone; any way to be able to participate?

• maimover

Where is the farm this gentleman on the lunch call is speaking of?

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Listening in while I work - my bookkeeping day is Friday.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

THat was fun! My dog had some digestive issues.... so I had to run!

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

That was fun @judsoncarroll4 !!! Thanks for joining us today! I hope your pup is okay!!!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited April 2020

Ah, sorry all that I was unavailable. Something came up outside that required my attention, so unfortunately, I was late joining the call. Hopefully next week is better.

Thanks, @Jimerson for answering @shllnzl's questions. It was good to put a voice to your picture on the call. You have a gentle and kind voice, just as your picture looks.

@blevinandwomba I heard you and let out a cheer! I told my daughter that it is the hedgehog person! lol She is our hedgehog person in our house. It was good to hear your voice.

I wasn't sure what to say today, so I just listened in along with most of my family. Maybe I will introduce myself next week...

About the herb or seed swap idea talked about...it is a good idea. Of course, a person has to be aware of local, national & international guidelines. Some plants can be unwelcomingly invasive & can invite unwanted municipal/county spraying on private land & charges against landowners/gardeners. Of course, nobody here wants that. Internationally, you need special paperwork done for much to cross borders, so unless illegal exchanges are done, international exchanges are a no-go. I think we spoke of this idea way back in Nov/Dec? @Merin Porter contact me about this idea again. I'd be happy to help out, using what knowledge I have on some of this subject.

Anyway, the call was fun @Marjory Wildcraft & @Jimerson...& was there someone else... @Ruth Reyes-Loiacano? I missed intros at the start.

To round out my comments, I want to welcome new members to the forum. I am glad to have you learn with us!

• Lyda Eagle
    Lyda Eagle Posts: 12 ✭✭✭

So wish I would have been able to join the conversation. I don't know if had a reason beyond trying to control the virus but I would not be surprised. I do think it is a benefit to not be in crowds at this stage. I watched a program on the 1918 pandemic and it would not have been nearly so horrific if people had put in social distancing. 675,000 people died in he USA alone. And I have read anywhere between 55 million to nearly 100 million died in that flu. Which really did not have o happen and mostly did because of WW 1 and no one wanting the other side to know how bad they were having it. Just so many stupid things governments did that made it so much worse. So on one hand having things shut down now is a good thing. But this can also be a very scary thing if those in control abuse it. What does really concern me is this virus will mutate and be even worse when this is lifted and people will think they have nothing to fear. Which is what happened with the 1918 flu. I a pretty sure I had the virus .. was very sick, high fever, etc. lucky my cough did not get that bad. Though I know of friends that are horrible sick. And some who have died. I do think I numbers of who has it are so so very low because I was told NOT to go get tested unless I felt Iike I needed to be hospitalizing. So if most of the ones who get it will not need to be in the hospital and everyone is being told to not come in then those who have it are never going to be known. I think that this will convince many that they can no longer stick their head in the sand and pretend they don't have to take responsibility for their own care. We ALL need to grow more of our own food. Be more responsible about what we buy. STOP being so self centered and blind to the world around us. We need to wake up!! We may not have control over much in our life but we do need to control all that we can. We must make the best of what we can. And stand up for what is right and stop letting those with all the wealth control our lives. Much of the control they have is because they have blinded us to our choices. We can do better. And I pray we do. May we stand together and stop the separation that the government wants us to have. Before any political side we are people first.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Marjory Wildcraft As far as Grow Network Summit ideas...I know this has been done many times over, but I would like more & specific information on hugelculture gardens, how to control invasive weeds & quack grasses (and the like that grow from tiny rhizome pieces) around the edges and whatever tips & hints might make it work to be supercharged. Haha

It is shaping up to be an extremely dry year in my area, and we have lots of dead trees due to former wet years & tent caterpillars in the past. Considering, I think it is time to pursue this type of moisture preserving bed this year.

• maimover

@Ruth Reyes-Loiacano I do believe I heard his name was Lee.

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

I am sorry I couldn't make it to the call but over here it was family dinner time and time for bed for the kids.

Hopefully I will be able to join next call.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Hi @maimover Lee is in Nebraska. He has a farm that is basiclaly idle. He had a young couple there for a while, but they really didn't understand the real work invovled in homesteading (understandable). Lee is a very sweet guy, 81 years old, and a long time supporter of TGN. I would be gald to connect you up with Lee privately if you like. He actually had an ad in our market place for a while?

Or maybe is was the singles section... ha, ha, he is also looking for a grilfriend.

• Marjory Wildcraft

Hi @Jens is this Jen from my old QUantum Leap days with Steve Harrison?

• janicejunk
    janicejunk Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

Feedback: I enjoyed the call, and I think I will enjoy the next one even more, with the ideas that were thrown out at the end (suggestions that encouraged questions and gave guidelines for limitations). Sometime in the last 1/2 hour, someone mentioned that there was a chat. I had connected via my computer and never saw any type of chat window. Was there one, or was that referencing this (or another) forum discussion/thread/conversation? I for one would have been happy to ask a question without subjecting everyone to my background noise, and it would have been a nice choice for people with poor connections.

One thing that might be helpful to mention in the notification of the next community call: if a person is using two devices (not sure why, but it seemed that more than one person was using a phone and computer connection at the same time), that person should turn off the speaker of the device that is NOT being spoken into.

I'm looking forward to re-hearing the call, since I missed some bits. If the link will not be emailed, where will it be posted?

• Marjory Wildcraft

Hey @LaurieLovesLearning I was hoping to hear from you on the call today. Hopefully next week? Gosh, it took a little bit but we really found a nice flow after a while.

and @blevinandwomba I was so stoked to hear from you today!

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

I would have loved to be on the call, but it was at 5am this morning for me (Saturday) and I was still asleep :D

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited April 2020

We wish we could have that type of opportunity, only we would prefer it to be within Manitoba. We have all types of animals & I know about gardening (my husband wants to farm organically), our kids are country through & through, but we need more space.

@Marjory Wildcraft I will try my best to be there. What came up was unexpected. I was waiting already at 11:15. I was kinda bummed. At least I got on for some of it!

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

There is a replay! So all my ums and ers and nervous laughs are recorded for posterity? Who has done this dreadful thing?

@LaurieLovesLearning I was so tempted to throw in a hedgehog reference. I was hoping to hear your voice- I'll try to catch the next call.

I am with you on the quack grass! It's bad enough if it's in a bed where you're rotating vegetables, because you can at least take a garden fork to it in the spring. If the quack grass gets into a perennial planting, its a nightmare. It has invaded my rose garden; they can stand up to it, but the companion plants can't, and I can't dig up around my rose roots, and nothing is worse to hand weed than quack grass, in my opinion.

@Marjory Wildcraft aww, thanks.

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of this. Loved hearing everyone’s input.

• csinclair461
    csinclair461 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

I enjoyed the call, but after hearing Marjory reference the large amount of anonymous callers, I noticed I was attending as a guest. I backed out, and logged in, but when I clicked to join the call, was logged out. I Joined as broadcast, on an ipad, didnt see any hand, chat, or option to interact. I chalked it up to tech glitches, and am mainly mentioning them so it’s known, and can potentially be addressed before a future call. Maybe next time I will try the phone! :)

• Marjory Wildcraft

@csinclair461 Noted! Yup, we have a few tech things to work out. But it was such a fun call we are going to do it again. Getting more call in capacity next time.

• maimover

@Marjory Wildcraft thank you for that. It surely is something to discuss with the family and look into. There are so very many things going on in my own little world as well as the big one. Not sure what the universe has in mind; (I certainly am open minded) but it (the universe) has poo poo’d every plan I/we have made and that’s ok. Hopefully the good and “right” opportunity will present itself. The house in Maine with the 4 acres needs work-it’s visitable in warm weather but certainly not the cold (been trying to get foundation repaired for a couple years now and can’t seem to get anyone over there. Had two different contractors come out but they were all too busy to come back to do estimate or the work). I have an adult disabled son at home and three other grown children out of the house , one nurse and one supposed to graduate nursing school in May (not sure how that will play out) and would LOVE to relocate us all. I’m sure that whatever “little” town we land in would appreciate their services as well. Again, thank you for this information AND for all you do! Last year I told my best friend, “I think I found my people “ 😊

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

Hi @Marjory Wildcraft no I am from Germany and I did unfortunately not yet had the pleasure and honor to meet you.