Bats (an often misunderstood and unappreciated pollinator)

Obiora E
Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

In the April/May 2019 issue of "The Appalachian Voice" they have an article entitled "A Quest to Protect At-Risk Bats." It's an informative and interesting article that highlights some of the issues that have been negatively impacting bats, including the White Nose Syndrome.

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bats are fascinating creatures. I like to see them catching the mosquitoes in the summer evenings. But I forget that they are pollinators, too.

In my youth, I really enjoyed vampire stories, so there's that connotation for me. But I'd put up a bat house or two.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Just read the article, and it was interesting. Thanks for pointing it out. And aren't those big-eared bats just the cutest things?

White nose decimated the bat population here in PA, but they've been bouncing back just in the last few years.

• Obiora E

@Mary Linda Bittle I agree. I still have a love for movies involving vampires, including ones with regards to the origin of Bram Stoker's "Dracula." I don't see bats too often (I did more in my youth as they used to along with birds sometime get into our house, I guess through the attic?!).

• Obiora E

@blevinandwomba I also found an article in an older issue of "Wildlife in your Garden" by Hobby Farms entitled "Gardeners' Furry Friends" that is about bats too. It was in Volume 7G, 2014. You may be able to find it online through Hobby Farms' Web site.