Pets

Robyn
Robyn Posts: 3 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Dogs & Cats

This a very challenging time for us all. I have a very difficult situation I hope someone there can help me with. I chose this site because I have belonged to it before and always felt comfortable with the information. I have a cat who has been my friend for 16 years. He was diagnosed with upper stomach cancer and nothing can be done, surgically. They informed me that I WILL NOT be allowed to be with him if they put him down because of the virus. Can someone help me to find a way to do at home humanely. Please. Robyn

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Such things, as extremely unpleasant as they are, are common on the farm. Are you in town or in the country?

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

There are vets who will go to a client's house to help with euthanasia. Their intent is to allow the animal to die at home.

I am very sorry to hear of your impending loss.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Sorry to hear about your cat! Living in a rural area, our vets do house calls. If you call around you should be able to find one to come to your house, even in a city.

• Robyn

In answer to your question Justin, in a town of 8,000+. In response to the next 3- unfortunately the covid-virus is the problem. my vet would but can't and No other vet will either. I am in MA my vet is in CT. Only rabies shots are being given here for now and they pick animal ( dog, cat etc ) up in parking lot. :( :(

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about your cat. I have two cats and one of those was brought to us by a cat we used to have that got sick shortly afterwards and we had to have him put down. It was very sad for our whole family. Losing a pet is like losing a family member.

Maybe you can call around and find a different vet that will come to your house and meet you in the driveway?

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

@Robyn finding a vet which will come to your home is very difficult, especially in the current conditions with this virus. So instead of calling the vets, call the organizations which are popping up all over the country which their mission is to help relieve the animal's stress and the family's grief by coming to your home for this purpose alone.

I used one of them here in Pennsylvania about a year ago. The vet which came had to drive over an hour to get to us since I'm in a rural location. She was fantastic though for my Stassie. Stassie was terrified of car rides in good health. And when he got sick and had to spend a year going back and forth for maintenance appts, well it wasn't nice for any of us concerned. So when the time came I wanted another way.

I found it by doing a Google Search on Pet Euthanasia at home near -add your zip code. The organization I used was Lap Of Love. They do have branches in many areas of the country. But doing a search on the internet will give you other organizations which are available for this purpose.

My only thought though, by government order I would be willing to bet these people have been shut down also by the "Stay At Home" campaign. But I'd still work like heck to try to find someone to help because I know also the pain of seeing your pet suffer.

Sorry to you guys and hope you can find some help for your beloved pet.

• Robyn

I appreciate your response, that has been the problem with the virus. Most businesses have been shut down. I have had my vet at my house before and they don't know when the are lifting it. In fact they just extended it.I was hoping I could find an herbal way that could sedate (hopefully heavily). I thank-you all who responsed and please stay safe and healthy.

Robyn

• Melinda
    Melinda Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

I am so sorry to hear about your cat. I have no advice, but want to give you virtual hugs.