Impaction/sour crop

alindsay22
alindsay22 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Birds (Land Fowl & Waterfowl)

Hello all,

Has anyone had any success helping a chicken pass a blockage lower on than the crop? My chicken is not eliminating food from her crop, and she definitely has sour crop as a result. It's not a blockage in her crop as it's spongy and has only minimal seeds in it - I can push the seeds through the hole to the gizzard, but they come back up and don't move on at night. She is minimally pooping and I am currently feeding her coconut oil with mullein, a candida herbal supplement and water with ACV. I'm wondering if anyone has had success with a lower blockage as I understand it's usually fatal. Culling is not a preferred solution, Princess is very well loved by my children and our chickens are only for eggs.

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited April 2020

I just closed this window & list what I wrote. I'll post again.

We have had this. It will be sour crop. You need to empty that before any other action is taken. The method to treat it can be found within the first 3 posts here:

It works really well, but does stink. It does take time for a few days and is messy.

Observe her for a bit after each time. Quarantine her and watch others in her flock as well for early signs. One is bad/sour breath.

We have successfully done this a couple times one year when, for some reason, we had this issue in a few birds. Make sure good grit is always available once done.

Good luck. It is not hard, just unpleasant. Let me know the result.