Great article by TGN on growing food from scraps--did you know you can do this with pineapple?!?

I LOVED the article by TGN if you did not see it already on growing food from scraps. Did you know you can also do this with pineapple? Awesome! Please don't tell me you live in a state where this is going to have the pineapple police after you or something. I can't take it. Causes anxiety. Forcing me to down all my soon to be dandelion brandy LOL

Comments

• Alison
    Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Yes. You can regrow other veggies from Scraps also. Nature is amazing.

Do you need a reason to have some of your dandelion brandy? Maybe not all at once though..save some for later (:

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I have been doing such things for years.

I currently have 2 pineapple plants growing as houseplants. My aunt did this too and got a small pineapple from hers.

It is fun to experiment!

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

My attempt at the pineapple failed, but I will try again someday.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

A few years ago there was an article in our local paper about a woman who had grown pineapple in her solarium from a pineapple top. It was a full sized pineapple and she said it was the best tasting one they had ever eaten. The ones I tried never worked. Not sure what I was doing wrong.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@torey @shllnzl I twisted the pineapple top off, pulled the bottom leaves off leaving about a 3/4" bottom. I put the bottom in a jar that had water that covered this bare area. I put in some activated charcoal to keep the water sweet. One I put in the sun, the other top had less. I checked on the water level regularly.

I waited until there was a couple of inches of root & removed the whole thing carefully, potting it taking care not to damage the water roots. Water roots are always very fragile.

These plants were put in full sun. The pineapple should form after 3 years, so it is said. One of mine is older, but didn't get enough of something...ah yes, I needed to re-pot it to give it more space. That made a big difference in its growth.

You want to water it well, but also never let it sit in water.

I am waiting for both to fruit.

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

I have two pineapples growing right now from started tops - we started them in mid winter and they are now planted in pots - we will see how they do!!!

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

I LOVED THAT ARTICLE! I now want to try all the things! Lol

i regrow my green onions all the time, usually they grow so fast I can’t keep up!