System
System Posts: 121 admin
edited November 2020 in Home Grown Food Summit 2020

imageAnne-Marie “Dash” Miller – Defeating Garden Pests

Read the full story here

Comments

• bloomwhereyourplanted28
    bloomwhereyourplanted28 Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody, So thankful to be in this group along side Marjory & her team teaching people to grow their own food! Leave me a question or just say hi! Some people say my homestead is inspiring, but truth is you guys inspire me to keep on growing! I learn sooo much from this communtiy!

• Kelly
    Kelly Posts: 3

For the vine bore resistant varieties are you still trying to pick out the bugs when you find them or are you just letting them stay?

• Marcia
    Marcia Posts: 2

Hi the squash bug is evil. Do you think if you grow it hydroponicly, that would work?

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Oh Marcia, wow I wonder about aquaponics and squashes in general. They take up SOOOOO much room. My guess is the vine borers would get into teh squash vines even if grown hydroponiclly.

Good question Kelly,

I am not picking out or trying to stop the squash vine borer on these resistant varieties. That is why I like them so much! So much less work for us the gardener! Cheers, Dash

• Catherine Lum
    Catherine Lum Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

Thank you, Dash, so much for taking us from store to home, with the cattle panels! I will get them next week The presentation was wonderful! See you on YouTube!

I think Marjory is right, that would be a beast in a hydroponic set up, but i have never tried it. Some day I am going to do a aquaponics system. They sound really fun to garden in! Cheers, Dash

• Barbara
    Barbara Posts: 8

1Fun, informative presentation. Thank you, Dash

Hi Catherine, You are so welcome. Yeah, you don't just go pick those panels up on a whim. It takes some planning, knots & muscle! You will love it when the vines grow over it. It is magical! I have to make a little sign to hang at the top of mine, something cute? See ya, Dash

• Leanna
    Leanna Posts: 12

I'm wondering if those Zuchetta gourds, when large like that, might have edible seeds? Have you tried roasting them?

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

I loved your style and presentation. The borer is my nemesis as well. How much water did you use with 1 tsp. of Dawn? Thanks so much.

Diane, That is a great idea to try roasting the seeds. They were big thick seeds so I wonder if they would be too hard, but it is worth a try for sure! See that is what I love about this community. You guys always give me great ideas. I ended up feeding those big gourds to my chickens. I did try roasting one, but once I scooped out the seeds there wasn't much "meat" left;) thx for commenting!

Thank you, Good question Susan, I filled the spray bottle up with water & it was 32 oz/4 cups. Yes, you don't want to make it too strong because it can burn. It was VERY satisfying to see how it did them in! Wait till you try it this summer. You will love it! MAAA HAAA HA! Sweet victory. I know I get overly excited about these things, but I know i am not alone;) Cheers, Dash

• c
    c Posts: 1

I would love for you to use an organic dish soap since Dawn is anything but organic. Artificial coloring and who knows what. Since God created the earth I think keeping it as clean with less pesticides, synthetic artificial coloring doesn't seem like the best choice to me. I know people recommend Dawn, but there have to be other organic dish soaps that would work too, maybe a drop of olive oil or something else needs to be added, maybe an essential oil, not sure, but you get the idea.

• Leza
    Leza Posts: 19

Sister Dash, what a fun presentation!!! 😃 Absolutely loved it! Hate those bugs... . My nemesis now are gophers who think my garden is their gated community... . 🙄 And the voles that ate up all the beautiful purple cone flowers I planted in Wisconsin from our home in IL when we moved. ... We won't have these issues in our home above!!! 😊 Much love in and because of Him!!! 😍 Leza{{{}}}

• Leza
    Leza Posts: 19

So you know, you can get hog panels in a *van*! Several times, I got 16'x5' panels to fit by bending them slightly, and tying the ends together. The men at Fleet Farm and Farm & Fleet were amazed when they were able to help get the bundle into the van "feet first". Once you get them home, if you are very careful, you can handle them by yourself. Be *extremely* careful when untying the ends!!! I legit prayed a lot each time I did this (I pray a lot anyway)!!! 😏 To straighten the panels, turn the panel bent side down in the grass, and walk all over it. For the arch, I bent mine a little more sharply because I heard several people say it won't blow in the wind as much, not because I find it more aesthetically pleasing. I'd much rather have had another person helping with the panel--and fencing--projects..., but if they need to be done, and you are determined, it can be done alone! 😏

Oh! Forgot to mention, that I love the surgery you did on your squash!!! 😃 I'm going to check out the bore resistant squash you recommend--thanks!!! ❤️❤️❤️

• ceriridenour
    ceriridenour Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

Grreat presentation. I remember my Dad being so mad when the squash would get borers and we would be called into the garden to help hunt them down. My dad also had us wrap alumninum foil around the base of the plants. Don't really know if this stopped them, but we did always end up with a ton of squash . Just wondered if anyone else had heard of doing this?

c, Good point about the dish soap. I suppose you could use anything that cuts grease well. You should experiment with different soaps & things & get back to us. It takes a village to grow food! Thank you! Dash

Thank you Leza for cheering me on! Gophers! Oh No! to bring them from your old homestead just to have them eated! I have heard castor oil granules will deter them. Apparently, they hate the smell & will leave. Good luck! Amen sister. Blessings, Dash

Leza, You ROCK! I can't believe you got those all by yourself in & out of a van! You are 1 determined gal! That sounds like something I would do;) We get determined don't we, that is one thing homesteading has taught me. My family says I am stubborn, but I say there is a difference between determined & stubborn. We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us, according to His will, That is what I pray a lot when I am doing the hard things or scary things. Blessings, Dash

• melbetology
    melbetology Posts: 6

One year, when I was living in Phoenix, I had so many squash bugs that i vacuumed them up with my vacuum cleaner. It was so satisfying. Thank you for doing the research on these hardy varieties. It is much appreciated.

• Molly
    Molly Posts: 20

I wonder if those thick seeds in the Cucuzzi, Zucheta Guinea Bean would make a decent flour after being dried? I've seen pumpkin seed flour listed in some gluten-free products lately, so it's got me thinking about other seeds that might work well.

Melinda, I tried that too my 2nd year at the community garden! With a little battery vacume. Oh, you are right! It was sooo satisfying! I have never admitted that to anyone because I thought it was probably teetering on the edge of sanity. LOL Great minds think alike, sis! You are welcome! Cheers, Dash

OOOh yes, Molly it just might! Good idea, I would have to have A LOT more time on my hands to try it, but I think it is a good idea. If we have a food shortage we all might do things we never thought we would;) To my frustration I have a few gluten free kiddos & all that stuff gets pricey to buy! It is a weird seed, by that I mean it doesn't look like pumpkin seed at all, but more like thick sliced almonds? Hard to explain, but I think you're right. Cheers Dash

• Angie
    Angie Posts: 2

I'm trying Zucchino Rampicante this year on my new cattle panel trellis. Inspired by dash of course. Squash bugs are always horrible in my urban garden. Marjory is right, 'Solid Information." Thank you Dash for all the tips!  Thank you Marjory for all you do!

• Cyndi
    Cyndi Posts: 3 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Loved this happy video... Dash's personality is so welcoming and inspiring! I learned so much! Headed over to the blog to order some seeds!

• csinclair461
    csinclair461 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

I have used Seventh Generation dishsoap on ants (small odorous ants). Its funny and sad, after concocting multiple essential oil mixes and fermented citrus sprays, laying out all sorts of spices, traps, Terro, borax, and it turned out the humble dishsoap worked just as well/better. Now I keep a bottle (squirt of soap in spray bottle water) and use it on counters, floors, dishes sometimes, ants, aphids.

• Marjory Wildcraft

Hi Diane, I am willing to bet those seeds are edible.

When I was in Mexico, the Tarahumara had the roasted seeds on a plate just around as a snack. They had huge squashes they kept in the one room house they lived in.

• Marjory Wildcraft

wow Dash, so glad you are here. Thank you!

• Molly
    Molly Posts: 20

I have a gluten free husband. It's unreal how much some things cost. But I finally perfected a GF chocolate chip cookie everyone in the family likes so I think I'm doing all right. LOL