edited November 2020 in Home Grown Food Summit 2020

imageBrian Gandy – Growing Your Own Cannabis

Brian Gandy

Read the full story here

Comments

• Brian Gandy
    Brian Gandy Posts: 21 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Hello and thank you for checking out my presentation on Growing Your Own Cannabis!

Food is my passion and Cannabis is an extremely versatile plant for Food, Fiber, Fuel and Medicine.

I have over a decade of organic food production, indoor and field cannabis production and am currently farmsteading a15 acre farm in Western Colorado with my family.

You can check out Deep Rooted Hemp at www.DeepRootedHemp.com for CBD products and seeds

our Instagram is: https://www.instagram.com/deeprootedhemp

and my personal farming entity is at www.SustainableTerrains.com (Services and Interface to be updated soon)

and you can follow my farming adventures at https://www.instagram.com/sustainable.terrains/

Lastly, please feel free to contact me directly at brian@sustainableterrains.com!

• Brian Gandy

Here's an update of the latest farm project. This chicken tractor was finished yesterday, and will be full of birds tonight. We will paint it this weekend. It is made out of many repurposed materials: Frame from our shade tent from camping on the farm pre house build, Lumber and Plywood from our house build, Metal skids from and unknown implement unearthed on the property. We will add a hot wire around the base to fend off coyotes and lions since our ducks will most likely nest on the ground and not up in the coop.

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the presentation and the info on how to get started.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

The coop looks great!

• Brian Gandy

I'm launching some content on my new YouTube channel to share what I have learned in the past and to document our farmstead as well as hemp operation.

I have an introduction video up and some lighting information for now. Chicken tractor rundown is coming this weekend while we paint it and now that the birds are moved in and loving it!

https://youtu.be/RmWKIrDMSc0

• sallyhoward
    sallyhoward Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Great presentation. Thanks Brian

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Oh @BrianGandy your little boy is sooooo cute! I'm jealous. Ha, ha mine are 19 and 21 now and I so miss the days when they were little :)

• Karen
    Karen Posts: 14 ✭✭✭

Thank you for a very interesting presentation. I will try the receipes . I learned many. things. You are a good speaker

• tomandcara

@BrianGandy Hi Brian, Beautiful baby boy you have. I have a few questions from your presentation

1. You mentioned mycorrhizal inoculants. I would love to hear more about your take on them.
    2. The recording seems to skip most of what you were going to say about indoor lighting options. I would love to hear more about that. I did take the Cultivating Cannabis course at the Grow Network's Academy, so maybe you covered it all there?
    3. What resources would you recommend for learning more about the indoor no-till option?
    4. Would you please post the Hemp Heart Bitchin Sauce recipe here?

Thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge and experience with us

• Brian Gandy

@tomandcara

Thanks for checking out the presentation!

1. Myco and bacterial inoculants definitely aid in nutrient uptake and overall health. "Great White" is a commercially available product that is very broad spectrum but kind of spendy. The cousin to that product is "Plant Success" which is much more affordable but one version comes with humic and kelp I believe but very solid product. There are also two pure strains one fungus "trichoderma konigii" and one bacteria "Azospirillium spp." from extreme gardening that are very solid performers as well if you want to demo a cut and dry side by side test.
    2. You can check out my YouTube channel for some info on a fixture that I am excited about. I was not involved in the indoor course so I am happy to address any specific questions you have directly.
    3. There are few people doing it well. Check out Build A Soil in Montrose CO for info and resources. GreenLife Production (indoor canna) in NV is on their 20th or so cycle. Research TLO and True living organic soils(mostly for a holistic view of organic inputs to a complete soil).
    4. You Got It. So good! We will be adding hemp hearts from multiple regions on our site www.deeprootedhemp.com in the next few weeks. If you subscribe (We don't spam), you'll get an update when they come online. Right now I recommend http://slvtradingpost.com/products/organic-hemp-nuts-shelled-hemp-seeds.html or hearts from Evo Hemp for the best domestic sources.
  • Brian Gandy
  • Brian Gandy

@Marjory Wildcraft I can't wait to embarrass him with that video when he's that age! Thanks for checking in. We will be adding farm progress content all summer and beyond. It's great to have a farmstead of our own. Please let me know you best content/ info resource and I'll make sure to tune in!

• Brian Gandy

Thank you! I posted the Bitchin Sauce recipe above. I'm formulating some original recipes with a few chef colleagues that we will be posting in the fall (Once we are on top of the field crops!)

• Voodoo Flóra
    Voodoo Flóra Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Excellent Mr. Gandy I have Crohn's and have experimented with Cannabis for quite some time. I listened to your presentation twice. Thank you for the in-depth knowledge and I like your accessible style. Go well.

• Brian Gandy

April, That is some flattering feedback. I try to use compassion for my audience as a guide in teaching. Please feel free to contact me directly with anything that needs further explanation here or at brian@sustainableterrains.com

We have had excellent feedback with our CBD products for M.S. pain. We use the "primary extract" so it is as close to the plant, full spectrum product as possible and we believe and have observed quality experiences as a result. www.deeprootedhemp.com CBD4MOM is a code for 20 percent off across the site for the rest of the month!

• Voodoo Flóra

@BrianGandy I make my own CBD oil but will remember you if we run low and to recommend to others. Put some on my man's feet this past week and his arm the week before. He's happy!

• tomandcara

@BrianGandy Thank you for the answers to m questions with specific resources, names, etc. Will share the Hemp Btichin Sauce recipe with my wife and daughter as they do much more food creation than I do. Are you familiar with any of the research that has been done on the immune boosting aspects of fermented hemp protein? I have been adding hemp protein into my countertop fermented milk culture.

Thank you again for your willingness to share your knowledge and experience with the Academy class and the Summit.

Have a blessed day.

• Brian Gandy

I am a huge fan of DIY CBD! We have had a bunch of people reach out for seed since the original viewing. We have quality covered whenever you need! Our Balm with calendula, arnica, comfrey and plaintain is great for healing!

• Brian Gandy

Sharing is Caring! The Bitchin Sauce is one of my faves. I have Hemp Hearts on the way that we will be selling soon and shooting videos on how to use.

I have always wanted to try some hemp tempeh but have not heard of specific science. Please drop a link here to share if you can!

It has been my pleasure to be a part of this. Thank you for watching and please reach out with any questions.

• Brian Gandy

@aprilbbrinkman I forgot to mention. We now have a CBD:CBN blend that may be helpful with Crohn's. Reach out to me through www.deeprootedhemp.com and I'll send you a promo code for 50 percent off to test out.

• Brian Gandy

Here is a post that just went up today to start off the 2020 growing season:

Happy Hemping Everyone

• Voodoo Flóra

@Brian Gandy thank you so much and have a great day!

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

Is this talk still available?

• Brian Gandy

You will have to reach out to the moderators for that information! Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.