Spring is a time for detoxing (rough draft from "Health and Wellness is Not a Spectator Sport")

Obiora E
Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

10 April 2020

Spring is a time for renewal/rebirth and for detoxing your body and home. Our homes, like our bodies, need to breathe and to air out. In your home, turn off your air conditioner (A/C), vacuum your vents, and open your windows and doors to allow fresh, moving air to cleanse it from its winter cocoon. If your home had any Winter leaks take time to remove the moisture and allow air to circulate.

Nature has provided many of us in our yards with dandelion, one of the best plants for detoxing our bodies and assisting our liver (it is the most active between 11 PM and 3 AM) and kidney, so they can continue doing their job and in turn, this helps to strengthen our immune system (one of our body's line of defense). Other easy to access plants that are good for detoxifying include Burdock, Peppermint, Radish, Onion, Garlic, Yellow Dock, Celery, Cucumber, Kidney Bean, Oat (good for both kidney and liver detoxing), Parsley, Lavender, and Rosemary. [For the past 3 or years, I have been doing drinking detox teas in the Spring to rekindle knowledge from yesteryear. This year I made a lacto-fermented Roots Beer that I drank daily during my Spring detoxing that is continuing today].

The human body, like plants, has the innate ability to heal itself, if given the chance. Our bodies are comprised of microorganisms, that may morph depending on our internal environment into other microorganisms. When our bodies are in a state of homeostasis our hands should have at least 5 different species of bacteria on them and our underarms should have at least 20 different species.

Our bodies, in part, because of the reliance and overuse of technology, is becoming more detoxed and losing its homeostasis more frequently. However, our endocannabinoid system (dependent on Omega 3 and deficiencies can lead to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, depression, Fibromyalgia, and more), can be reset by spending two weeks off grid (and with only using natural lighting) annually. In addition we should strive to have a safe space in our homes that are free of electronics, including baby monitors and blue light. We should also strive to restore our natural circadian rhythms by watching the Sun rise (or use a red light for 1 hour) and to do the same thing in the evening.

When our bodies, like out plant allies, become imbalanced because of stress, anger, anxiety, and other negative emotions, we can become dis-eased and our bodies may develop chronic illnesses and/or cancer. In an effort to improve our overall health and wellness, we should detox our bodies, as well as our homes, during the Spring (and other times of the year) to return to the circadian rhythms that have guided humans for millennia.

• Obiora E.

Sources:

1. The Herb Book. John B. Lust, ND, DBM. 1974. 73-74.

2. The Little Herb Encyclopedia: The Handbook of Natures Remedies for a Healthier Life. Jack Ritchason, ND. 1995. 303-307.

3. Healing Herbs: 200 Natural Cures that Work. Editors of PREVENTION magazine. 1999. 19, 29, 32, 33, 64-65, 90.

4. Restoring Our Rhythm: Strategies for Thriving in Modern Times (2018 ACRES USA Conference). Dr. Nasha Winters ND, FABNO, L.Ac, Dipl.OM.

5. Principles to Produce Nutrient Dense Food (2020 OAK Conference). Dan Kittredge, Founder, Bionutrient Food Association.

6. The Blood and its Third Anatomical Element. Pierre Jacques Antoine Béchamp, Doctor of Science. 

Comments

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

great article.

• Obiora E

@timtandme Thank you very much!

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

Beautifully written @Obiora E !

Dandelion is my fav gentle detoxifier. And while I do a mini cleanse/fast once per month (24 hour water fast after drinking a dandelion/tumeric tea). Spring time always calls me to to a good full cleanse focusing on all the organs. I have not done one yet this year, maybe it’s time.

Your Roots Beer sounds interesting. Would you share a recipe with us?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Seconds on that request for a recipe for the Roots Beer!

• Obiora E

@herbantherapy Thank you very much! And that is a really good way to be...thank you for sharing.

@torey The ingredients that I used in order of most used are below:

• 1 Gallon Spring Water
    • Sassafras root (harvested in February from Martin Acres, said to be the best time to harvest the root for medicinal purposes)
    • Sarsparilla
    • American Ginseng (from Wisconsin)
    • Peruvian Yellow Ginger (Rhizome not root)
    • dried and cut Ginger (Rhizome not root)
    • Burdock Root
    • Dandelion Root
    • Indira Yellow Turmeric (Rhizome not root)
    • Licorice Root

Based on recommendations by Sandor Katz in "The Art of Fermentation" I steeped the roots and rhizomes for about 1 hour in half a gallon of water. I then put the tea into a crock and added the remaining water. I let it ferment for four days and then bottled in a gallon size amber jar and refrigerated. It was strong and I could feel it working on my body after I drank it!

I may do another one in the Fall or sooner and add Stinging Nettle Root (my brother has recently purchased some).

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@Obiora E this recipe sounds deliciously earthy!

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I loved the idea of off-grid for two weeks! I guess I better do it before all the 5G satellites go up.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@Obiora E Thanks so much!

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

Good first draft! Are you planning a whole book?

• Obiora E

@herbantherapy Thank you! It was pretty good and I felt better too after drinking it.

• Obiora E

@Megan Venturella I agree. And we should contact our "leaders" and encourage them to not go down that road into the opening of "Pandora's Box."

• Obiora E

@torey You are very welcome.

• Obiora E

@kmartin.mail Thank you! And yes I am. It will be called "Health and Wellness is not a Spectator Sport."