Brain exercises for dementia patients: Free, online

shllnzl
shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in General Health

Patients have shown improved memory and activity after doing the exercises 20 minutes a day. It's supposed to help all of us improve our mental function as well.

The exercises are done from a seated position and use both sides of the brain simultaneously.

https://britishgymnasticsfoundation.org/lovetomove/

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@shllnzl I have seen lots of brain exercises before in the form of word games, etc. but this is the first time I have seen a physical exercise for the brain. Thanks for posting.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey They have a booklet that you can download that shows a few of the exercises. I did them -- one gave me a little problem.

I have forwarded this link for my great nephew: he was deprived of oxygen during an infant heart surgery and now has cerebral palsy and mixed mental developmental issues. I am thinking these exercises could help his coordination.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@shllnzl What a good idea! I have a great-niece that also was deprived of oxygen at birth. She is not as badly affected but still has developmental and co-ordination issues. I will send the booklet to her mother.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl and @torey The brain games that involve movement and exercise actually do more for the brain than the commonly thought of computer brain games. If you add in eye focus things, they become even more effective, Shifting near/far focus, tracking, etc.

I have to admit that when I looked at the first video and saw that it was over an hour, I put it on youtube and went to settings and increased the playback speed. quite shallenging when they say now let's pick up the speed. Haha