Welcome to the TGN Forums!

Merin Porter
Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin
edited October 2020 in General Announcements

Whether you are new to our TGN Community or you've been with us for a while and are just now stopping by the Forums, welcome!

We'd love to get to know you better. If you would, please introduce yourself by leaving a comment on this thread and letting us know a little about you -- for example, where do you live; what are your interests; what gardening/homesteading/home medicine projects are you working on right now; and what are your biggest challenges?

Whatever your area of interest -- whether it's gardening, raising livestock, making your own medicines, foraging, DIYing, etc. -- we've got a category for you:

-->Current Events and Breaking News

-->Natural and Home Medicine

-->DIY Projects

-->Composting and Soil Fertility

-->Growing Food

-->Raising Livestock

-->Cooking, Canning, and Preserving

-->Around the Homestead

-->General Health

Please also be sure to read through the Forum rules, here.

And, if you have a question but aren't sure where to post it, feel free to let us know that in the comments, too. One of our Admins or Mods will be happy to direct you to the right category.

Again, welcome! We're so glad you're here!

Comments

• Merin Porter

Hi @Jens! Thanks for kicking this off -- I've definitely seen you around the forums, of course, but it's great to know a little bit more about you. :) What is the weather like where you are right now?

And soooo interested to hear more about how you manage the convergence of natural healing with your work as a research associate. Are there ways the two complement each other? How has one informed or challenged the other? I'll bet you know a lot about "why" certain home medicines work, and that's something I find that fascinating....

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin
    edited May 2020

@Merin Porter

the most remarkable divergence between work life and private life I remember was during last years Home Medicine Summit. In the evening I listened to the presentation about liver flush and natural liver cleansing on the summit and the other day I was in a presentation at an workshop at work that was about a new medicine against NASH which is in short summary a fatty, toxified liver. When I asked the presenter after the talk about the comparison to eating habits and natural liver cleansing he admitted that the results for both are in the same range as for the medicine but it is more convenietn to get a shot instead of beeing responsible yourself for adherance to a good food protocol or liver cleanse.

• Merin Porter

Aye-yay-yay. I guess it's true that most people would rather get the quick "solution" -- the problem being that what caused the fatty liver in the first place is still around to cause additional problems.... Sad but true....

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@Jens and @Merin Porter That is the exact reason we are in the health crisis we are in. No need to change your unhealthy habits, this pill, shot, surgery is quick and easy. Unfortunately there are usually side effects of the quick and easy approach that have downstream negative effects on a persons well being.

• janataylor2020
    janataylor2020 Posts: 1 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

@Nikki Follis Hello, I’m not sure where to post, or who to ask but I have a question I have about billing. I paid for a class and got more than I expected. Making sure it wasn’t a mistake. Thanks.

Edit: Added Admin tag

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@janataylor2020 I am thinking your question might be better answered by @Ruth Ann Reyes . I know I certainly can't answer it. I can say thank you for asking and welcome to TGN. It is a great international community

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Hello! I’m from a small town in Pennsylvania. I am an avid gardener, and I love to can and preserve my homegrown fruits and veggies. I am enjoying learning and making my own medicines. I am a baker and love to cook from scratch. I love to fish and kayak with my husband and our Coonhound Retriever rescue dog, Annie. I’m all about living a healthier lifestyle after years of not doing that. I love being a part of this community and learning and growing with you all. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks after all! :)

• Merin Porter

So glad you're here, @burekcrew86! I have never actually kayaked before, but it's something I'd be interested in trying. How long did it take you to get the hang of? Looks like it requires a serious core for balance.....?

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

@Merin Porter If you get a chance rent a kayak for a couple hours. There’s rental outfitters pretty much everywhere and it’s very reasonable. Honestly it didn’t take long to get the hang of it. By the end of your first time you will be feeling pretty comfortable. In my opinion, it is one of the most peaceful leisure activities to participate in. There is just nothing like going out on the water and watching an eagle soar above. As you watch a beaver busily working on his latest project or a bear fishing for his breakfast. Water, wildlife, and nature all make for a breathtaking outing.

• Merin Porter

I hope I get to do this sometime soon! Sounds amazing, and we live in a good place for this....

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

I am from New England. I love gardening, cows,(hence, cowlovingirl) raising animals, cooking from scratch, canning and general homesteading stuff

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in Northern Ohio. I'm getting with in knocking distance of retirement and am starting to plan a relocation. I cook a lot, am starting to work with herbal medications and gardening. Trying to learn more about homesteading to help with my future move.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

NE Okla and every category except raising livestock that you listetd i'm into it. You can add research to that as well. If and when I have my own place in the country I hope to add nubian and lamancha goats for milk, and if no other livestock I want to always have chickens. And I love to sew, cook, garden and spoil my cats.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Welcome @RustBeltCowgirl. It is good to have you here! You will find a lot of knowledgeable folks on TGN who've been there done that who are willing to help you as you pursue your new skills.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Welcome @ben stacy! It sounds like your interests align well with so many here. It is good to meet you.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning Thanks for the welcome. I’m looking forward to learning a lot of things. My practice “lab” arrives at the end of the month. I get a 12x6 section of a 12x16 storage barn, walled off for my stuff.

• Nancy Carter
    Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I'm new!! Very excited to be here! I live in Pennsylvania. My question is how do i post something on a forum other than a comment?

• Lisa Pizza
    Lisa Pizza Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

Hi Jenn,

My name is Lisa, I live North of Austin, in zone 7/8, central Stephenville, Texas. Interested in lots if topics, enjoy how prepping adds more value to the plant products I like to grow. But interested in wild finds and cooking in the wilderness/camping arena. Thanks for the invite. 😁

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Welcome! On the right side of your screen, you should see a blue button that says, "New Discussion". Click that and choose the category and you should be good to go.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Welcome @cartern72 and @Lisa Pizza! Good to have you both here!

@cartern72 Posting is done through the "New Discussion" tab right underneath the search bar at the top of the page. If you click directly on the tab it will take you to a page to set up your new thread. There is a drop down menu for categories. You can start a new thread under anyone of the categories listed.

There is also a drop down menu with an arrow to the side of the "New Discussions" tab that gives you other choices such as "Ask a Question".

@LaurieLovesLearning has set up a tutorial on how to add tags to your discussion.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Welcome aboard! You can do A LOT more than most people think on 2.5 acres... that is 108,900.1 square feet!

• LaurieLovesLearning

Welcome, @Happy Hank! I am looking forward to your contributions.

• Denisha Cole
    Denisha Cole Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

Hello, I'm from Indiana. I'm a homeschool mom who enjoys living simple. I like to create natural products. I have been making my own deodorant for 3 years. I'm all about trying to cut the cost and chemicals and make it myself.

I started a patio garden this season, things are going good so far. I purchased all things needed to start canning. I'm into herbs and learning about their benefits. I enjoy reading and learning from others.

This discussion has been closed.