Sprouts for chickens!

Comments

• This is one of my goals for while I am following the stay at home order. I want to become more self sustaining and growing sprouts is on my list of things to do. Some for me and some for my chickens.

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I am a sprout believer!! I have always sprouted for our household and actually once had a little home business supplying restaurants and other individuals by converting a bedroom into a sprout grow-op. Now that we are rural, our animals enjoy them too, especially in winter when greens are hard to find: A combination of sprouts and grain fermenting for the chickens and microgreens by way of wheatgrass for the rabbits. The concentration of vitamins and minerals and the intensity of flavours is amazing.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

This is such a great video, thank you so much for posting! I started sprouting this week. I've been doing it in dishpans and was planning on building a sprouting tower. But this "method" looks so much easier! I think I'll find a spot in the chicken run and just cover it so they can't get it...

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@Megan Venturella Build your tower anyway. It could still come in handy come next winter when snow is everywhere.

• Megan Venturella

So a note on the sprouts... they sprout decently, but it hasn't been amazing. Sometimes they dry out. Sometimes they mold. On the whole it's just ok. But when I feed the chickens a couple trays of barley sprouts, they always act like they're STARVING the rest of the day. 8 cups of barley, sprouted, for 25 chickens. Is it just not enough? It's two kitchen dish pans.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited June 2020

If they are acting as if they are starving, it sounds like more nutrition is needed. Are you just giving them sprouts instead of feed or as a supplement? As a supplement would be the better way to go. Balanced diets... 😄

Be very careful to not give them moldy food.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Megan I would think that chickens aren't much different than humans, in that, if they act like they are starving, it doesn't necessarily mean they have not enough to eat. But rather, there is/are some vital nutrients needed that are missing and their bodies know they are deficient so they keep eating until their dietary needs are met...just like us.

I wish all of us knew that it doesn't matter how much we eat in an effort to satisfy our hunger if nutrients are not there. Especially enzymes, but all of the things our bodies need to be 'nourished', not just 'fed'. For many people that are over weight, it is because they are constantly hungry for nutrients, not processed food etc... And I realize how it is not easy for those who have to work..I lived that life for a long time but I did not know about how leptin works or even what leptin is...The body knows when it needs something it is not getting. I wish I knew enough about chickens to help you. I will try though, as I have time for I am far from being finished in my garden.

Let us know how things are going with your sweet chickens!

• Megan Venturella

Thanks so much! I guess I assumed sprouted barley was complete nutritionally, I don't know why! I'll keep doing it to supplement their feed and stretch it a bit, but it must be very incomplete. Time for me to do more research! Maybe I'll start sprouting peas or beans in addition.

• alindsay22
    alindsay22 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Thanks for the video. I do a little of this, but it inspired me to amp it up. I currently ferment seeds for my chickens and have a caged spot to make greens - I can see doing this in a few spots in my yard. Thanks for the inspiration! My chickens thank you too.

• silvertipgrizz

@Megan Venturella It does sound like there might be something lacking in their diet, but don't beat yourself up either way along your path of learning....About 10 years ago I decided I was going to raise chickens and I remember telling someone about my plans and as I heard my self speak the words...I remembered/realized that it was not my knowledge of raising chickens as I had little...it was my parents when I was a child that raised them and I knew little to nothing...

I'm getting ready to send you a few links that should help, and at the same time give you more questions... lol

Keep us up to date..

• silvertipgrizz

@Megan Venturella I think your very best bet would be to contact people who specialize in chickens. That would save you lots of time and give you better starting points for your own research and I would research everything I was told to confirm and also, many time you can find much more info to add to your starting point which should put you way ahead of the game, and some very happy chickens...

This will help you get started on your search for the perfect chicken feed..........

so when you perfect it and get rich I want my cut lol rof...🤣

• silvertipgrizz

@LaurieLovesLearning How do I go about getting the links in my post to Megan V, the one just before this one, in a new discussion so it can be seen to those not visiting here?

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is great. Would love to try it here. We have a LOT of chickens. Just have to find a source for the seeds that won't cost more to ship than the seed itself which is high enough. One of the pitfalls of living in Alaska. There is much to love here but shipping costs for most anything is definitely not one of them.

• silvertipgrizz

@vickeym I know your pain on shipping to and from AK

Here is a potential option:

Figure out what plants are also good for sprouts. When you have your list made, Check out any seed and/or greenhouses in your areas and get your seeds from them without having to order 'outside'

I remember in Fairbanks there were 2 great places to buy plants, and when I needed more coir one of them ordered it for me and I just paid and picked it up. I don't know what area you are in but even Fairbanks, and esp Fairbanks had great resources, mainly because we were so far north it was profitable for both buyer and seller.

hth

• LaurieLovesLearning

@silvertipgrizz Just go down to the blue new discussion button, below the discussion here, and you will be able to post a fully new thread within the livestock category.

You should be able to copy (select all) & paste. Then, check your links to make sure that they work.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loved this video. I have tried to sprout before for the chickens and its a so so success rate.

I'll be doing this later this week