CALENDULA

Comments

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

Awesome @silvertipgrizz ! I am growing, at least trying to grow, calendula for the first time. If the chickens and cats will leave them alone I might end up with a few. Thank you for sharing this.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Moderator Mid North Coast AustraliaPosts: 1,114 admin

@silvertipgrizz you are awesome! Until a couple years ago, I thought yep kinda nice flower. Now I love them, plant seeds throughout my garden all the time for colour, bees, petals, flowers and all the herbal medicinal uses this spectacular plant offers.

• Leediafastje
    Leediafastje WA State, Olympic Mtns, Zone 8Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

Thank you @silvertipgrizz ! Although I have grown Calendula for 3 years, I did not know I could use the leaves. I offer the flowers to bakers for desserts of all kinds, I use the flowers for teas and I use Calendula with Chamomile to make a healing skin cream. Now I get to experience the leaves ... yeah!

• torey
    torey Moderator Posts: 3,540 admin

Great post @silvertipgrizz! I just love co-incidence and synchronicity! The following link just arrived in my inbox from The School for Aromatic Studies for a free downloadable Calendula E-book. http://aromaticstudies.com/calendula-download/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=All+about+Calendula%21&utm_campaign=Calendula+E-Book

I would also add the following link to your list, from Rosalee de la Foret, on the Benefits of Calendula: https://www.herbalremediesadvice.org/calendula-benefits.html

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Great for cat owners. Cats are hard to treat as they have extremely sensitive systems and many of the herbs we use are not safe for cats. Calendula is. I make a tea of it add just a pinch of sea salt and use it as an eye wash for my elderly cat. He has allergies and that really relieves his eyes.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Moderator Posts: 2,683 admin

I absolutely love Calendula. Great info @silvertipgrizz For some reason its a very under appreciated plant around here. You have to order seeds and plant it yourself, greenhouses never carry it. I love it for the color alone, then add all the benefits and uses.

Thanks @torey The download links are wonderful!~

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am doing herb gardening in the house. Calendula does not like growing in pots for me.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the websites. I planted 4 calendula plants a month ago. They already have a bunch of flowers. I wish I would have bought more than one pack. I'm saving the flowers to make salve.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

I'm so excited by all these. I planted several plants last year and they did so-so. But this year they are thriving! I've got flowers in abundance. I've picked so many and have them in jars soaking in oil so I can make salves. But with all this new info I'm definitely going to need to plant more, so many more things to try. 😊

Thanks for sharing your links @silvertipgrizz and @torey.

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

Awesome! I just order some seeds last week and now thanks to your post I have some excellent resources. Thank you for posting! I use the homeopathic preparations of calendula all the time. I have used it with miraculous results with our chickens, kids, and horse.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Moderator Posts: 810 admin

My calendula grow everywhere in the garden, kitchen garden, flower beds. I allow it to have seeds and spread them and now I have so many young plants that I give away to my herbal neighbours and friends.

it is one of my favourite herbs, I collect flowers, dry them, but medicinally I use only petals as some people might be allergic to the plant, but not to petals. I make infusions, tinctures and oils and salves. It is almost for everything

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing! Definitely adding to my pollinator flower garden!

• Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri
    Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the things I wanted to do this weekend is find out how and when to harvest my 2 calendula plants, so thank you very much!

@silvertipgrizz and @torey you have saved me a lot of time.

Calendula infused witch hazel is how I treated my facial injuries, and I've made it for years for bug bites. I am excited to learn more.

"Italy is known for tomatoes. Thailand for chilies. Germany for sauerkraut. But tomatoes originated in Peru. Thailand imported chilies from Central America. Sauerkraut started in China. Everything is a remix—and the world is better for it. Share what you know. Learn from others."

-Marjory Wildcraft